No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Luck this morning guys get after them!!!!

Comment

Started a LIVE post on the campfire. Agree mud is bad, forced a change of plans today

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Rode in in the dark and arrived at our first clearing a few minutes before first light. Then began ridding clearing to clearing glassing. Rode through 3 does then found 3 bucks trailing a doe. We made a stalk and got into range, but the bucks didn’t get us excited so we backed out.

Later we saw a big buck, but weren’t able to make a play on him. Around 8am we found 4 bulls and 19 cows. One bull broke away with a few cows so I pursued while RPB stayed with the larger group. I crawled to within 150yds before getting busted (never had a shot).

When I got back to RPB he had crawled about 3/4 of the way across the field towards the big group. One bull split off then a second bull was chased off by the herd bull. We got to within 50yds of the second bull before we saw him in the brush, but he had us nailed.

We shifted our focus to the herd bull pushing 13 cows and calves. For the next several hours we crawled and waited, crawled some more and waited a lot more. They remained between 500-600yds, they just wouldn’t get to a location we could approach them. Eventually 3 cows broke away and it confused the bull. RPB decided to stay put while I tried to get on the breakaway cows. I never saw the breakaway cows, but noticed the bull had gone back over to the rest of the group and was pushing them to a brush line that we had gone past earlier. Being familiar with that area, I made a run for it.

After an exhausting semicircle I crawled through the brush over a dune from the opposite side of the group. I ranged the bull at 215yds and got ready. After a short wait he gave me a quartering away shot. He absorbed the full impact of the bullet and was already staggering when I got him back in the scope after chambering another round. RPB watched the whole thing from his position 600-700yds away. It had been 4hrs since we first spotted the bull.

It took us around 1.5hrs to get pics and get the meat hanging. It was another 6hrs before we got the final ham in the cooler. We packed the entire bull to the bikes in two (each) loads, but were unable to get one of the hams on the bike so a second trip was required in the dark.

The tick guy measured him at 9” and estimated him to be 6yrs old.

A lot of work and we are beat, but we have repaired our flat tires and repacked our gear for the am hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by TradAg02 View Post

Nice bull, good job.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Way to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Nice one. What unit?

Comment

Very nice bull. Good work, and work it is

Comment

Rode in in the dark and arrived at our first clearing a few minutes before first light. Then began ridding clearing to clearing glassing. Rode through 3 does then found 3 bucks trailing a doe. We made a stalk and got into range, but the bucks didn’t get us excited so we backed out.

Later we saw a big buck, but weren’t able to make a play on him. Around 8am we found 4 bulls and 19 cows. One bull broke away with a few cows so I pursued while RPB stayed with the larger group. I crawled to within 150yds before getting busted (never had a shot).

When I got back to RPB he had crawled about 3/4 of the way across the field towards the big group. One bull split off then a second bull was chased off by the herd bull. We got to within 50yds of the second bull before we saw him in the brush, but he had us nailed.

We shifted our focus to the herd bull pushing 13 cows and calves. For the next several hours we crawled and waited, crawled some more and waited a lot more. They remained between 500-600yds, they just wouldn’t get to a location we could approach them. Eventually 3 cows broke away and it confused the bull. RPB decided to stay put while I tried to get on the breakaway cows. I never saw the breakaway cows, but noticed the bull had gone back over to the rest of the group and was pushing them to a brush line that we had gone past earlier. Being familiar with that area, I made a run for it.

After an exhausting semicircle I crawled through the brush over a dune from the opposite side of the group. I ranged the bull at 215yds and got ready. After a short wait he gave me a quartering away shot. He absorbed the full impact of the bullet and was already staggering when I got him back in the scope after chambering another round. RPB watched the whole thing from his position 600-700yds away. It had been 4hrs since we first spotted the bull.

It took us around 1.5hrs to get pics and get the meat hanging. It was another 6hrs before we got the final ham in the cooler. We packed the entire bull to the bikes in two (each) loads, but were unable to get one of the hams on the bike so a second trip was required in the dark.

The tick guy measured him at 9” and estimated him to be 6yrs old.

A lot of work and we are beat, but we have repaired our flat tires and repacked our gear for the am hunt.

Nice job fellas! That's how it's done! Great write up and nice bull! Congrat

Comment

Congrats on the hunt, kill and then the real work.

Comment

Awesome job. We were not too far from you then. I heard your shot north of us as we were crawling through the dunes to a herd. See anything else in the area? We watched the herd run north after your shot.

Comment

Yeah, he looks like he would be a lot of work.

Comment

I'll add to this one. Thus one FD 310 and fell 400yds out in the mud. There were a couple like the one above. Awesome animals, great hunt

Comment

Looks impressive TXOUTLAW

Comment

Working...
                                X