What is your favorite and biggest waste of money gear item

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your favorite and biggest waste of money gear item

Took the drive from Round Rock down to the Cabela's in Buda last Saturday with my twins. We had a great time spending 3 hours walking around the store and only left with a handfull of catalogs . Not that I could not find a ton of things that really should have come home with me.

Got me thinking after spending more time going through the Archery catalog. There are so many pieces of gear out there. Some of it is amazingly useful, some you are suprised how well it actually works and most seems to look good on paper but perform no where near what you expected. As a new hunter to be thought I would toss out a couple of questions to the group.

What would you say is a couple of items that you have used and now are part of your "essential" gear when you go out? I would exclude the bow from this list since that is a given. But there are still a lot of accessories that would make the list.

What items did not work out and now are either broken, thrown out or buried in the garage?

scent control products is a must for myself.

I like to buy camo. I have a looooot of it and some of it Ill never wear but if I find a good deal on it ill get it.

Comment

Thermacell is a MUST, also a nice camo backpack with either plastic zippers or take off metal zippers and tie on par-a-cord.

Comment

Scent control. Honestly probably worthless, but I'm scared to hunt without it

Comment

man scent control is not only a waste but it seems to be getting more expensive

best value,

extra release
          thermacell
          thermacell refill pack
          the camping rolls of toilet paper
          range finder

those are the things that I think dramatically changed hunting for me or had a serious impact on a particular outing.

Comment

Range finder , good pack , flash light , first aid , extra release These are a few must have items i have. Now the money waste items would be scent blocker cause i usualy rub down with a bunch of pine straw or cedar depending on where i gun and i always hunt with the wind blowin my way. Also camo clothes cause I'm usualy I'n a blind so kinda useless to wear it . The list goes on and on.

Comment

Gotta have my flashlight. Could do without doe in rut lures.

Comment

Best would have to be thermacell. Then octane magnetic quiver, and Scott Silverhorn.

Worst is the old Stealth Cam that uses the old camera film. Deer could come by eat awhile and leave before it ever went off.

Comment

Thermacell, Thermacell, Thermacell... and my Lonewolf Stand.
                  My Cyclops light is also great for getting back to the truck and scaring away the snakes!

Comment

Repel, shotgun shells, camo anything.

Comment

"Worst is the old Stealth Cam that uses the old camera film. Deer could come by eat awhile and leave before it ever went off."

I agree--used to have one and all I ever got was the south end of a north-bound critter, whether deer, hog, or 'yote. OK for around a feeder, but near worthless for trails.

The thing that has improved my shooting (besides practice) in the past 40 years is converting to a release from fingers--amazing improvement.

Comment

thermal cell, range finder, millenium lock on, good boots an good cold jacket and pants that will keep u comfortable!!!! as for things that find there way to the bottom of the box doe bleat, estrus, rattle bag..

Comment

Thermacell w/ refills, extra release (in bow case), range finder, scent control, chippewa boots, good fleece, and a quality flashlight or two.

Comment

Originally posted by c9h13no3 View Post
                            scent control. Honestly probably worthless, but i'm scared to hunt without it
                            yep...!

Comment

Camo backpacks and clothes, most of which don't even fit me anymore and I never wore.
                              Last edited by Loreva13; 07-08-2011, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X