Fort Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would I do?

I'd get a 4WD something that I'd dedicate to hunting. You're going to want to beat the snot out of it (as John was so diplomatically stating).

I would make sure it had off road tires, real off road tires, not kind of half way in between tires, but real off road tires. Too many sharp rocks and prickly pear cacti out there to have anything less.

Yes, you can get along without 4wd, but it will limit where you can go and when you can go there. I can remember when people were getting stuck on Taylor Valley Road. The AAA wrecker was stationed up there. The past couple years have been relatively dry, but when we get a we year, the cleachy roads get slicker than snot on a glass door knob. Throw in the ruts from the military vehicles and there you go. A full set of skid plates is nice to have also.

Buy what you need for your use, not what is cool or what everybody else has. Only you can tell that. Just get something that fits your needs.

What do I drive? A diesel power Jeep Liberty. Trail Rated, up armored with full skid plates. It works for me for several reasons. I don't have to unload all my hunting junk, corn, bow, lights, etc. etc. etc. everyday. Just leave it in there. It's small and narrow so I can go a lot of places folks with full sized trucks can't go. I still have it all scratched up, but no big deal It's by hunting rig. For day to day use, I've got a Dodge truck and a Mustang. Neither one of which you'll ever see in the woods.

Now, what will you do?

I have no idea.

Comment

Well I was out in my area today, I have 2 ponds in 46 and 2 in 45 that still have water and everything else is dry as a bone. all of the pig holes are all dry. And they have been out there making more super highways right through the area. They did not take down any of my stands but sure came close to some. It will be nice in a few years after the animals and growth catches back up but right now doesn't look good. The way things are going here shortly you will not need a 4x4 to get in my area anymore I will have some of the best tank trails next to 42. I still have some of those untouched spots that I sure wish they would put a road but then they probably wouldn't be a hot spot anymore. right now I always see huge bucks and scrapes back there but just to hard to get to during hunting season.

Comment

I'm looking at a '94 chevy 1500 4x4. I won't be able to use it strictly as my hunting rig, but I think it will work for what I need. You noticed I said think... That is why I am askin you guys. Your the ones that have been out there and know what it is like.

Comment

Ed 100% on the money. even the tank trails are HE** on 2 wd when we get those hard rains and don't think your are going to drive up an incline in that slime in 2wd it will not happen. You have to remeber all of that moon dust we have now will turn to snot as Ed called and it is nasty.

Comment

My everyday cruser is a 04 silverado ext cab 4x4 a little hard on the wallet but hey it goes where I want it too. I use to have a Isuzu Trooper and it was like Ed's Jeep would go anywhere but I get better GPM in my truck and now I have more room.

Comment

Like I said, I am new to hunting on Hood. So I still have alot of stuff to learn and figure out. I appriciate all the info you guys have been given. I would also appriciate any help with scouting, or showing me around when I get back. Not looking to steal anyone's spots or anything. I am not that kind of hunter, I was brought up to respect another hunters area. EVEN when they are not there.

Comment

Yup, looks like hard ball when it's been dry. Whole different story after a bit of rain (we sure could use some).

Looks like I'm going to be going pig hunting again soon. The live in Chinese Chef wants me to bbq the last half a hog tomorrow. She brought two twelve packs of Shiner 102, so don't guess I'd better complain.

I'd rather go fishing, but this wind isn't cooperating. Not dangerous, just miserable as all get out. The wind is so bad we actually went to the Hallmark last night for all you can eat catfish.

Comment

HD don't worry Fort Hood is a great place if you follow the regs and rules. You hear a lot of us ramp and rage on here about the changes but I don't think anybody likes changes and that is what has been happening the past few years us old timers have had to adjust to some changes.

Comment

But if you don't like those changes stick around and they will change again.

Comment

Originally posted by EdO View Post
                      Yup, looks like hard ball when it's been dry. Whole different story after a bit of rain (we sure could use some).

Looks like I'm going to be going pig hunting again soon. The live in Chinese Chef wants me to bbq the last half a hog tomorrow. She brought two twelve packs of Shiner 102, so don't guess I'd better complain.

I'd rather go fishing, but this wind isn't cooperating. Not dangerous, just miserable as all get out. The wind is so bad we actually went to the Hallmark last night for all you can eat catfish.

Ed I hear you that wind is crazy I need to get the boat out but there is just to much wind.
                      2 weeks ago the hog trappers gave me a couple of hogs they trapped (actually my name came up I am on the list) I have to say it right on here because some people will read this and start reporting thinking they can get somone in trouble.
                      But for those that don't know there is a list at natural resources you have to put your name on and when they trap some hogs they will call you. Not the same as hunting them yourself but does put pork in the frezzer.

Comment

I don't mind the changes, because I don't know any different. It will be new to me because I have only hunted public land once and that was only for a couple days in Wyoming. I think the biggest thing will be just figuring out all the areas.

Comment

The only thing constant is the changes.

Just go with the flow. It's easier that way. Doesn't hurt to vent a little though, Good for the soul. Don't know what the Army equivalent is, but the Navy has a saying ... "A bitching sailor is a happy sailor." Sometimes they go out of their way to make you happy.

Comment

Originally posted by HoffDawg View Post
                            I don't mind the changes, because I don't know any different. It will be new to me because I have only hunted public land once and that was only for a couple days in Wyoming. I think the biggest thing will be just figuring out all the areas.

You'll find that figuring out all the areas is not all that difficult once you get here and look around. Like everything else r.e. hunting on Hood, it just takes a little time. I wouldn't get in too much of a hurry to do stuff until I'd picked a few brains (in person) and scoped things out for myself.

I'm off to get a little practice for sitting in a pig/deer stand waiting for something not to come by (Rangers baseball). I'm probably the only guy on here that likes baseball. Most of them aren't old and slow enough. Ya gotta be old, slow, and like beer to like baseball.
                            Last edited by EdO; 04-23-2011, 06:39 PM.

Comment

I'm just ready to get in the woods. Don't matter if it is scouting, or hunting. I can't do any hunting till Aug anyway, when I get the Hood permit, so I should have all kinds of time to scope things out.

Comment

Should be able to get an area permit, you will probably still have to sign in just to scout. I think someone mentioned on the old thread that the way to go is to get a fishing licence, unless you want to chase hogs. I'm sure John will clarify shortly.

Comment

Working...
                                X