Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legal trailer weight/ 3/4 ton Truck TX??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I pull a 34 foot tandom dually trailer for work that will gross 25,500 with a one ton dually, i have a class a cdl, with the truck and trailer and me in it weighs 17,500 empty. I can load 18,500 on the trailer that puts me almost to max gross

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
      Believe they added any trailer with GVW over 10,000 requires CDL unless tagged farm. I know the horse trainers are going nuts over this as every living quarters trailer is over that and illegal to tag farm if going to shows with client horses. Our 3 horse slant which we could pull behind our F150 is rated over 10,000 and if not tagged farm it would require a CDL... you can go to DPS site absolutely nuts, I didn't believe it when I was first told till I looked it up
      This is not true

Comment

click on bottom link, answer yes that your trailer is over 10,000lbs
        Last edited by friscopaint; 06-14-2018, 06:58 PM.

Comment

it appears all confusing by design.......where the trainers are in a bind are the gvwr of the trailers in conjunction with F350 puts them over and I guess it is just now being enforced, they are up in arms over it......I live in the midst of them
          Last edited by friscopaint; 06-14-2018, 07:18 PM.

Comment

another confusing part, looked at a toy hauler with GVWR of 19,000 and 1 ton tow vehicle 11,000......does that require CDL, just looking at DPS it appears so......or does the RV lobby have that exempt ???

Comment

this thread got me thinking about the travel trailer in the classifieds. It's just ridiculous that anybody can pull around 20,000lb travel trailers with a very high profile, yet we have to sweat what size trailer we can pull, even empty, behind our pickups without a CDL......they must have one heck of a lobby........

20K travel trailer? That’s a beast!!! I thought the combined weight had to be under 26K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech38 View Post
                I pull a 34 foot tandom dually trailer for work that will gross 25,500 with a one ton dually, i have a class a cdl, with the truck and trailer and me in it weighs 17,500 empty. I can load 18,500 on the trailer that puts me almost to max gross

Don't forget to get those axle/tandem percentages right.

Comment

another confusing part, looked at a toy hauler with GVWR of 19,000 and 1 ton tow vehicle 11,000......does that require CDL, just looking at DPS it appears so......or does the RV lobby have that exempt ???
                  not exempt, you would need a non-cdl class a

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
                    DANG! I own a 24' bed all steel lowboy with tandem 7,500lb axels and she only weighs 3,500 empty.... What kinda trailer you pulling that weighs in empty at 7K?!?
                    Its not the a tual weight of the trailer, just what the trailer is rated for.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Lazy2P View Post
                      Its not the a tual weight of the trailer, just what the trailer is rated for.

Ok....gotcha.... phew!....I was about to need to see pics of that BEAST! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by CWendling View Post
                        not exempt, you would need a non-cdl class a
                        Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
                        Ok....gotcha.... phew!....I was about to need to see pics of that BEAST! LOL

Haha, yes sir that would be a heck of a rig

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech38 View Post
                          That is some interesting math. So I know a person can have there equipment registered for under what it is actually rated at; therefore, a trooper will go off of those registered numbers. That dually must hit the scales about 9,000, empty, maybe a tad more? My F350SRW is 9,000 on the scales. I had a 40' flatbed, tandem dual 10k axles. The trailer was rated at 20k (the axle limit total), but because I registered it for farm tags, my county registered it at something like 34,000. The trailer weight 8,000, empty, on the scales. So, similar to you, my empty combo, puts me at 17k. If I put another 10k on the trailer I would be at 27k. You're numbers should put you at 36,000...unless you meant to say 8,500 instead of 18,500? I had to get a Class A, with farm restrictions, to haul my 40'.

Personal RV's fall under different rules. I know several racers that own "toters", Frieghtliners and Peterbuilts with a RV type sleeper. They don't need a CDL. It's crazy.

I sold my 40' flatbed and got a 20+5' gooseneck with two 7k axles. The trailer is a 14k trailer (again my county registered it for 34k). Trailer weighs 4,500 empty.

Happy hauling

Comment

Originally posted by HainesNYT View Post
                            So I know a person can have there equipment registered for under what it is actually rated at; therefore, a trooper will go off of those registered numbers.

Exactly what I did. I have a homemade all steel trailer with dual 7,500 pound axels. I registered it for 10K to keep price down and keep it in the lower class. That also allows me to not have to deal with all the reflector and lighting requirements that go with the above class as well. I knew that I would not ever be hauling a load that would break the 10K limit, so no need for me to register it for its actual capacity. If I would load it past the 10k limit, and get stopped and weighed, I’d of course be ticketed, but since that’s not a concern all is good as is.

Comment

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
                              That's what I thought, but the reg. states farm trailer.
                              Was just making sure the trailer doesn’t have to have farm plates??
                              Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
                              Can you post what your referring to?
                              Oops, nevermind that was under the class b.
                              Ok, so I found it again.
                              If you go to the DPS site listed earlier, then search "classes of drivers licenses".

Look under class c, it says FARM TRAILER.

Comment

Ok, so I found it again.
                                If you go to the DPS site listed earlier, then search "classes of drivers licenses".

Look under class c, it says FARM TRAILER.
                                Cause farm trailers up to a certain point are exempt. If your truck and “non farm” trailer can combine up to 26,001+ then (the way I understand it) you will need a higher class license. I have always had a class A so I have never paid too much attention to the details of the lower classes of license regulations.

It’s just like everything else, it’s written to the extent that it comes down to someone’s interpretation of it more than just yes and no...

Comment

Working...
                                X