Okay school me on golf...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some good advice on this thread.

I would highly recommend taking a couple lessons from a certified instructor such as a Golf pro at a local course or even some of the big box retail stores employ one. I'm just talking 2-3 lessons; for a foundation. People will tell you that practice is important for golf; well, practicing a bad swing or bad habit is just as bad as not practicing at all.

I also agree with some of the earlier comments that solid contact and distance is more important than precision accuracy. Getting the ball down the fairway in or at least close to being in play can make a round of golf much less stressful.

As for clubs, there are tons of barely used clubs on the market. I'd say the OP's primary issue is being 6'4''. Professionally fitted clubs will make your game better, but there's probably less used ones out there for someone that tall.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
      Listen to this man. I wish he would have made the putting offer to me.

Also, if you are going to suck, then suck fast. Nothing worse than the guy who isnt very good but takes 10 practices swings before hitting every terrible shot. Take one or two(at the most) to release some tension, line up your shot, get over the ball and hit it.

I keep forgetting you are in sugar land. We need to play sometime.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Be sure to tell the people your playing with that you are a beginner so any advice is appreciated. Trying to BS up your game beforehand 100% of the time will show on the first hole.

You can go hit range balls for a week and feel comfortable with your progress and go play 18 and you might shoot 145 wondering what went wrong. It happens.

When you go play and you think you have plenty of balls double the amount. No one likes the guy who spends 15 minutes looking for a ball that went 40 yards into the woods cause its his last ball. Drop another and hit.

If its your intention to play buzzed get to the course early and pound a few beers before you tee off. Golf is all about consistency.

Comment

Learn old man golf. They swing slow but dang if the ball doesnt go straight every time

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Practice your 100 yards and in shots . Your score will look a lot better if you can master a good short game .

Comment

I use to play a round every week when I was in the corporate world. I started off with a cheap set of Wilson Prostaff's and learned to not suck at a cheap course not far from my house. There was a guy at the club house that did lessons and he charged $75 for 9 holes of golf. I had a set of Mizunos fitted for me and I loved them. Kinda pricey but I had some great games with them.

Comment

Originally posted by crash8005 View Post
                At 6'4" your clubs really should be fit to you. I believe standard loft/lie are designed for someone around 5'10". If you are serious about learning you need to get a few lessons and clubs that fit. That doesn't mean that they have to be expensive. You can find some few year old forged irons and have them bent and only be in for a few hundred.

If clubs don't fit, you won't hit it pure. That will get frustrating in a hurry and cause you to correct mis-hits by adjusting parts of your swing, creating bad habits.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                This. My Dad is 6' 5" and he has to get extension put in for the shaft length. Get to a Pro-shop, give them your budget, and have exertions put in.

There is a PGA Tour Superstore in the Woodlands, and not to far from them is a Golf Galaxy. Golf Galaxy is owned by ****'s who bought out Golf Smith. And south of you in tomball is the Golf Nut Store.

You're going to need some beginner lessons

Comment

Originally posted by futureagg View Post
                  I’m in my second year of work in the office. The guys at the office all go and play and go out with the clients. I’ve tried to learn before on some of my grandfathers clubs (he’s 5’10) I’m 6’4”. I played one complete round, and never picked it up again.

How much would I be looking at to get a set of clubs and bag and anything else I would need just for a decent set up? I’m not looking to be a pro but just be able to go out and not embarrass myself while drinking beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Unless you are gonna take lessons don't do it. If you take lessons, get your clubs fitted to you. If you don't do these 2 things you will be wasting your time.

Comment

Start with putting and work your way back.

Comment

Golf is the devil

Comment

LOTS of GREAT advice in this thread....👍

You're VERY correct in that golf can GREATLY help your business career. You wouldn't believe the people I've met through golf, etc.

You're 6' 4".....trying to fit yourself into clubs designed for somebody 5' 10" is foolhardy and a recipe for failure. You'll most probably need +1/2" to 1" over standard length.... there are several variables involved....long arms and long legs? Short arms and short legs? Etc etc etc.

HOW are you going to release the club? (square it at impact) With your pivot rotation or your arms and hands? (BIG difference in the appropriate lie angle)

You can purchase a quality set of used clubs off of eBay (or any number of online sites) for a fraction of new. Do yourself a favor and purchase forged irons. The lie angle can easily be adjusted to you and the tendencies you'll develop within your golfswing as it forms over time. Mizuno leads the way in forged irons, but, Titleist/Taylor Made/Callaway etc are all high quality irons. Ping are a PAIN to adjust as the vast majority are investment cast so they are very brittle and VERY difficult to bend. I have a machine that, with a lot of heat, I have successfully bent them up to 4 or 5 degrees. However I'm puckered up the whole time and have snapped several over the years. +/- a couple of degrees is very doable, but, still a pain. So I'd HIGHLY advise going forged.....

The clubs can also be easily extended and the grips increased in size, etc. YOU could do it in your garage with ease and a lil bit of study. I was doing it to my own clubs, and a bunch of members at the course I grew up playing, at 12 years old. It's NO big deal....and you'll save a bunch of bucks.

As for instruction, I HIGHLY advise seeking out COMPETENT instruction. At the very least learn how to grip the club, distribute your weight, and set your body up on angles that give you a chance to develop yourself successfully. You NEED to understand a few VERY simple concepts. That way you can conceive/visualize and, in SLOOOOOOOOW motion, FEEL what you're trying to perform. (then gradually speed it up, etc).If you played baseball, hockey, or tennis at a reasonable level then you've got a HUGE advantage over most IF you receive competent instruction.

Unfortunately, quality instruction is in short supply with tons of charlatans and false prophets in the world (especially on the internet) If the instructor couldn't play at a reasonable level and hasn't produced, from scratch, numerous quality players then I'd shy away from them. (Most didn't and haven't) Would you take piano lessons from somebody who couldn't play a piano at a high level?? So perform a bit of due diligence before choosing who to listen to in regards to your golf.

Learn the basic rules.....etiquette....and don't jack *** around, play the game efficiently. You don't have to run, but, be respectful of others.

Honestly, if I were you, I'd learn how to strike the ball with reasonable competence FIRST, then go to the course. Otherwise you'll more than likely sentence yourself to hacking it around, delaying play for others, lose a bunch of golf balls, and fail miserably.....and spend a bunch of money in the process.

Great fortune to you in your golf journey! I hope you'll stick with it....

It's a VERY difficult game (perhaps the MOST difficult) and, at times, VERY frustrating. However, it's VERY doable if you receive quality instruction, with properly fitted equipment, and with an attitude of GREAT patience, perseverance, and passion.
                        Last edited by Slicefixer; 12-14-2019, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Okay school me on golf...

There’s some decent advice on here. If I was just starting out learning golf there’s absolutely zero doubt in the clubs that I’d use.

Get Cobra ONEs. All of your irons are the same length which means you just learn one swing(7 iron). New golfers who’ve gone this route get much better MUCH faster than with traditional length irons.

Get fitted for a set of Cobra ONEs, but them and get lessons. That’s it.

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                            I keep forgetting you are in sugar land. We need to play sometime.

Sierracharlie out…
                            Im actually out in Fulshear now and a member of Weston Lakes. So give me a holler if you can get out this way. Especially after hunting season.....my golf rounds will increase to about 3xweek. Dont listen to anything 17NCS says, Im playing to an 8 handicap right now so Im not too good. I do play fast so there is that.

Comment

I hit 5,000 balls on the range before I ever stepped foot on a golf course.

Hit that sob hard....if you’re gonna take a drop, take it way down there!

Comment

Most golf shops sell used clubs, however, they're normally marked up more. I would say go to facebook marketplace and find a set of clubs. Try to find some cavity backed irons(most forgiving, but lack finesse ability). I am also 6'4 and mine are all extended an 1", but that is all depending on arm length. Getting fitted somewhere may also be a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X