Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

May be moving to Dallas...Need some advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by huntmaster View Post
    Mesquite if you can speak spanish
    Yea, I hate other nationalities too. I wish more people would think and act like you and me. This is what the world needs more of.

Comment

Go live in the Village

Comment

Depends on where in Addison. The city is full of restaurants and the rush hour is a nightmare. You can find some decent apartments NE of Addison in Plano I think either Plano PKWY or Renner roads and your drive will be about 25 to 30 minutes, but again that depends on where in Addison (you're probably going to be right off of the tollway) I would stay away from Farmer's Branch. Richardson is also a good place.
        Good luck and let me know if you need anything else.

Comment

The village is definitely awesome, but it depends on if you're single or not and it will be too long of a drive.

Comment

If it's less than a year, I'd just spend a little extra and live as close as possible. Via apartments.com, it seems like there are some options close or in Addison for about $1K. Most likely, you will end up spending more than that for the right apartment that suits you and for a short term.

Comment

Plenty of decent places in Apt finder in and around Addison. Consider the drive time if you live outside and the possible tolls (Dallas North Toll way, The Bush, etc....). Its hard to get around that part of town quickly without hitting a toll road.

Comment

Downtown Carrollton has some cool apartments for rent.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks again everyone for all the input. Do toll roads make THAT much of a difference? Do I need to set aside a decent chunk of change to account for them?

I'm in the process of negotiating my salary and want to know if I need to account for this.

I'm not a party guy and don't care for a night life. Just a local watering hole or crafty brewery near by is sufficient.

On another note, I don't speak Spanish but want to learn it.

Comment

I work in Addison. Keller Springs and Tollway. I live in Coppell. Takes me about 25 minutes during rush hour. I take Keller Springs/Whitlock/Sandy Lake all the way. One road, but lights slow you down. The rent in Carrollton shouldn't be that bad. Parts of Farmers Branch are decent as well. Those are your best bet if you don't want to live in Addison. Plano is another option. Otherwise, North Dallas, east of the Tollway, around Beltline. That area would be close and potentially more affordable. I haven't priced any apartments so don't know, but if it was me, those are the areas I would start looking.

Comment

Originally posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
                      Thanks again everyone for all the input. Do toll roads make THAT much of a difference? Do I need to set aside a decent chunk of change to account for them?

I'm in the process of negotiating my salary and want to know if I need to account for this.

I'm not a party guy and don't care for a night life. Just a local watering hole or crafty brewery near by is sufficient.

On another note, I don't speak Spanish but want to learn it.

Depends on your commute. If you have to drive the Bush every day then it could add up. Same with the Tollway. I don't drive those that often so tolls aren't a concern of mine. You'll know once you decide where to live.

Comment

I agree with....Don't do it.

I lived in DFW 64.5 years. It has got real crazy in the last 10-15 years.

We have escaped the madness!!!

Comment

congrats but you have my sympathies for the location

Comment

From SA to Dallas?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Comment

If you are making a commute to work - tollways are a necessity around here. Very hard to avoid them. Especially if you have normal office / business hours.

Carrollton would be a good choice to check out - downtown area has some good small stuff that is right off 35 for an easy trip back to SA. Also easy to take Beltline into Addison.

Comment

The traffic on I-35 between Dallas and SA can be horrible, especially on the weekends. Be sure you use the toll road around Austin, which can get expensive. I-35 is always under construction. I avoid it every chance I get.

Comment

Working...
                                X