No announcement yet.

Texas Trophy Hunters Association

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saltwater Slick, I appreciate your input and sometimes, I think that the TTHA guys listen to me. I will pass on the constructive criticism as you bring up some very good points.
    Thanks and Adios,
    gary

Comment

Always hate seeing those decals on trucks cause they give hunting a black-eye everytime a non hunter sees it.
      The backstraps and tenderloins are trophies to me.. Antlers are just bonus keepsakes.

Comment

Originally posted by rtjh View Post
        I stopped subscribing years ago, it became a magazine full of deer breeder ads and high dollar/high fence "hunts". Not my cup of tea.
        Same

Comment

I sure miss the ole days of the TTH extravaganza. We looked forward to it for months, always went to SA. Don't remember the parking or admission being too bad. Good grief you couldn't get 20yds from a vendor booth unless it was emu oil, scented candles or jewelry cleaner. That place was PACKED. Just took all the fun out of it shoulder to shoulder, for me that is.

When I get finished cruising thru TBH, oh I mean get off work, I am heading out to get a copy. I just cant believe there aren't anymore deerzilla ads and there are a ton of good ole short stories. I am not trying to be a smart $%$ here but I bet if there aren't any deerzilla ads half the magazine will be deer stand and feeder ads.

Comment

All magazines have gone downhill in the last 10 years, not just TTHA. The digital age and sites like TBH have caused print media to be a thing of the past. You can see this in any industry. Here on TBH we can share the same stories and tips that before you could only get through a magazine or personal encounter and you can reach hundreds of different people instantly to gain knowledge from all walks of life.

Comment

red-fin, there will be deer stand and feeder ads as that is a huge part of the Texas deer hunting business. At our meeting in San Antonio in August is when we discussed the shorter articles so you will not see that until at least the Jan.-Feb. edition. I think that they said that we were down to one "deerzilla" advertiser.
              Thanks and Adios,
              Gary

Comment

Perhaps more " how to " articles for those that lease or own ranches and have the opportunity to mange habitat and herd. Also more 'scientific' articles with current findings on genetics, nutrition, etc. There's always ongoing debates on this site re/ culling to shift genetics, culling to improve herd production, which feed is best, feeder density, cotton seed ...and the list goes on. One need look no further than many of the threads in the 'game mgt. section of this forum to find what hunters on here are interested in.

And just for kicks, since controversy can generate viewing, have someone write an article on the specific differences between high fence and low fence. Does wire grow deer? What are the real differences? Where does the size of a property start to change the impact of a game fence? A whole series of pro/cons could be written on this topic staying strictly factual and non emotional.

Heck, have some of the feed companies write articles.Why their feed? What do they think makes an effective feed program? How many tons of protein are fed by members of TBH ? Might be something to learn.

Shouldn't take too much imagination to find articles that speak to the TBH community which is a reflection of a larger hunting community. Just look at the threads with its number of posts.
                Last edited by elgato; 09-18-2019, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
                  this
                  Sure was funny seeing JJ do damage control in the next issue after that cartoon pizzed the bowhunters off.

I think they even sponsored TBH for a time after that. I got no use for the mag now.

Comment

Originally posted by red-fin View Post
                    I sure miss the ole days of the TTH extravaganza. We looked forward to it for months, always went to SA. Don't remember the parking or admission being too bad. Good grief you couldn't get 20yds from a vendor booth unless it was emu oil, scented candles or jewelry cleaner. That place was PACKED. Just took all the fun out of it shoulder to shoulder, for me that is.

When I get finished cruising thru TBH, oh I mean get off work, I am heading out to get a copy. I just cant believe there aren't anymore deerzilla ads and there are a ton of good ole short stories. I am not trying to be a smart $%$ here but I bet if there aren't any deerzilla ads half the magazine will be deer stand and feeder ads.
                    Please report back if this happens to be correct!

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
                      this
                      This is what completely turned me off to TTHA.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                        It's just a published rag of an organization that has done more to harm deer hunting in Texas than any other single thing, ever! They are the reason everyone jumps on a guy for posting up a nice young buck he killed that should have "given him 3 more years", or "what a shame to shoot that deer"... Wanna know why deer leases are $12-$20/acre and up... TTHA...
                        They flat ruined deer hunting for the average guy in Texas... No different that BASS has almost made it a crime to catch a bass and fillet it... CCA's gettin' that way with trout n reds....

All these organizations had a good start and purpose, but just like trade unions, they've outlived their usefulness and gone completely overboard...
                        OK, Off my soapbox now... Y'all carry on...
                        I agree 100%

Comment

Horn ****!!

Comment

From the time I first started thumbing through the TTHA mag back in the late eighties I figured it was a rich mans magazine. Geared for the guy that could afford to drop several thousand dollars on over priced gear, dressed head to toe in the latest camo then sit in a deer castle with a biologist so he could point out the right deer to kill. Over time its probably just a 159 page ad for hunting crap.
                            Somebodies buying into it but it’s not me.

Comment

Seems there might be a market for Mr. Chew to start TCHA magazine?
                              Last edited by mikemorvan; 09-18-2019, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                                Seems there might be a market for Mr. Chew to TCHA magazine?

I will subscribe!

Comment

Working...
                                X