No announcement yet.

Adventures in "trad" fishing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eat the next one you catch, and there are some little disk like bones in the head...cut them out, they are a lucky charm.

Where were you fishing?

Comment

Cooper Lake.

Comment

New species. Longear Sunfish I think

Comment

Nice! Which fly is that?

Got shutout the rest of the weekend. Nobody caught anything.

Comment

It's your grasshopper. I caught about 40 sunfish and one little bass

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
              New species. Longear Sunfish I think
              Cool catch!

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
                It's your grasshopper. I caught about 40 sunfish and one little bass
                Where at?

Comment

I was up at Big Oak, visiting Buff. He gave me a casting lesson, he is very experienced of fly fishing as well. He has caught tarpon on fly, just for example.

If you book a hunt up there, ask him if you can go fishing, he might take you.

Comment

Yet anothet reason to visit Big Oak

Good job catching all those fish.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1407944929044.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	24322148

Caught him on a clouser minnow i tied with olive and brown bucktail and rainbow krystal flash.

Comment

Another nice catch!!!

Comment

Nice bass

Zach and I put the canoe in Lake Houston this morning. I frothed the water with 3 different flies for a couple of hours with out one hit. He was bottom fishing with worms and catching a few bluegills and channels. I finally put a little weight and small hook on with earthworm...let it sorta drift. I caught half dozen cats, one keeper, and a small drum. I did not take pictures as I wanted no evidence of my cheating.

Comment

I have enjoyed reading this thread. I have gone through periods where I fly fished a lot. Some of the best fly fishing I have ever done was in several of the Hill Country rivers like the Llano. You really should go over and try it out. It is best to take a canoe and get away from the road access points. It is possible to catch 50-100 fish a day. Most of them are sunfish and small bass but a lot of fun. At one time, there was a book published called "Fly Fishing the Texas Hill Country" or something like that and it was great because it gave all of the access points.

Another place to try is SE Oklahoma on some of the small rivers around Broken Bow lake. Broken Bow is very deep and stays cold even in the summer. The trout can get big and it is also possible to catch nice smallmouth and Kentucky bass. There are several guides in the area but it is also possible to do it yourself.

Comment

Chunky, hey... I did that once when the fam was catching fish and i was getting nothing all weekend. I needed to see for myself.

Paul, I am glad you are enjoying the thread. I am bringing my rod on the next trip out to the lease soon and plan on hitting the Guad above canyon for some bass/sunfish.

Comment

Great thread guys!
                                Love the flies that you've made SwampRabbit! You seem to have taken to fly tying like a natural. BTW...you couldn't pick a better partner to share the outdoors with than Mark IMO.
                                Congrats on all of the trophies...everyone of those fish are great to me

Comment

Working...
                                X