Last time you got lost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
    Worked downtown for over 15 years... still get lost if they shut down my goto route in and out of this cess pool...
    Definitely aint no joke. There is pretty much one road that gets you to I45 north out of there... somehow ended up on Allen Parkway one late evening our first year or so here... was not "happy" trying to figure out how to get the hell out of downtown.

The last time I really remember getting lost was 2am on a 16K acre ranch down near Laredo. We were looking for a hog and got all sorts of turned around. Everything looks the same out there and even though there was a full moon, you really couldn't tell where the hell you were and there is no such thing as walking in a straight line once you are in it and not in the sandero. One of the few times I wish I'd had a compass on me. Had my cell phone but with no map and having not had installed the stupid compass app we were pretty much at the mercy of hoping we eventually made it to a sandero nearby rather than the one 1/2 mile in the other directions...

Comment

Last time I was slightly lost was back in 2003. It was a windy cloudy day and my PH, Tracker, and I were trailing a Blue Wildebeest I had made a poor shot on. Somehow or another in the thick bush I got separated from them. I did not have my compass on me

Comment

It's a toss up for me.
        Either NYC, LA or Chicago in my 18 Wheeler..

Comment

Night fishing at choke canyon with lake 20’ low makes that lake a lot harder to keep bearings. Didn’t get lost too bad but definitely was a long trip back to boat ramp.

Comment

I got lost in Watts at 2 am coming back from a concert when I was 21 years old. I was running red lights hoping to get pulled over. I was not going to stop to many thugs on every corner. Kind of freaked me out. After what seems like forever I found a cop and he showed me the way to the freeway.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
              It's a toss up for me.
              Either NYC, LA or Chicago in my 18 Wheeler..
              Got lost in Chicago on my motorcycle once. It was no fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Raleigh View Post
                Da Hitman's post (which I thought was funny) reminded me of the time I got lost and scared the bejesus out of myself. I am in my mid fifties now and have been blessed to hunt some very remote country and got myself into some schetchy situations but the worse was when I was around 17yrs old. I had only duck hunted on my own a few times on my own to that point.

One foggy morning I drove down to Galveston to hunt Christmas bay. The fog was so thick you could have cut it with a knife. I arrive at my spot and boy it is even fogger but I figured when the sun rose the fog would lift. I follow my trail to the blind and set my stuff down turn on my flashlight and set it up so I can see it (like my dad taught me) and wade out about 30 steps and start tossing decoys. I only had about 2 dozen dekes so I wanted them spaced out pretty good. Well I toss my last decoy and start looking around. I cant see the flashlight. I started shuffling around and cant find the decoys.

I know in just a matter of a few feet I will come across a decoy or two. Nothing>>>
                Water is not getting much deeper but now I am pushing thru the water and doing circles trying to find land. I am not in any immediate danger but I am completely turned around. It's completely black and the fog is so thick I start instinctly start raising my hand as if I am walking into a wall. Understand I am standing in no more than 12-16 inches of water and cant be no more than 40-50 yards from the grass line.

I start to panic a little and start moving faster. About that time a big fish spooks making a pretty big splash. OK now I am freaking out. I know I should not move too fast or I will step on a string ray so I just stop and stand still for what seemed like hours. I start getting cold and I am nervous so I start shaking. So like an idiot I stand there in the dark in water so shallow I would have to lie down in to get wet and I am the scaredist I have been in my whole 17 year life. It gets light enough and I find the spread and get back on semi dry land. I may have walked 100 hundred yards in circle but never more than 20-30 feet form the spread. I can honestly tell you that was the second scariest time I ever had while hunting. Never fired a shot that morning.

Man I think about that time many moons ago and still get a little shiver up my spine.

How about you?
                Well, we got sorta lost on the hike back to the truck/camp, packing out Reed's elk!
                Not that we were truly lost but hiking with those packs through that brush sucked!! Hi there Raleigh!!

Comment

Dragging a buck out of the woods my brother shot during bow season a few years ago. Weighed close to 200 lbs.. The woods is about 30 acres. I've spent tons of time there, but everything looked the same in the dark. We must have drug that deer in circles for 45 minutes until we realized we were lost.

We always made fun of dad for taking a compass to that property. Boy did he prove us wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
                    Just a minute ago on the sweaty girl thread.
                    What thread is this again?

Comment

Was in the San Fransisco area for work a couple years ago. Decided to take my rental car downtown just to see it. That was a mistake as I got lost on those steep hills and narrow streets.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                        Well, we got sorta lost on the hike back to the truck/camp, packing out Reed's elk!
                        Not that we were truly lost but hiking with those packs through that brush sucked!! Hi there Raleigh!!
                        lol, the way I remember it I was only following you guys and you guys got lost .
                        Packing meat out in heavy brush aint no fun is it. At least it was down hill until it wasn't...
                        Hi there Paul!

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
                          Just a minute ago on the sweaty girl thread.
                          I must have missed that one!

Comment

During a shed hunt in South Texas, I wandered around a bit in the brush thinking I knew exactly where I was. Turned around and every mesquite tree looked the same. Topography completely flat. It was April or so and warm enough that the snakes were out (we had already killed half a dozen rattlers), so I started getting nervous as the sun was low in the sky. I tried to just walk straight until I hit a sendero, but I never did.

Like the OP, I started freaking out and just started yelling. Immediately I got responses back and sure enough I was like 40 yards from the truck/road, but not in the direction I thought.

Eerie feeling for sure.

Comment

10 years ago on the lease we still have today. My son and I walked to the back of the property (no roads or trails going into this area) to set up a popup on a ridge. I parked the truck at the closest box blind to the area we were going. Got there with no problems. It was getting dusk dark by the time I had the blind set up and brushed in. In my infinite wisdom I decided to take a short cut (or so I thought) back to the truck. The woods got thicker with every step it seemed and by the time I realized I didn't have a clue where we were it was getting dark. The yotes were starting to make noise and my son was getting worried so I stopped and built a fire to keep his mind off the yotes. Called my dad and told him of the dilemma. He drove out to where I parked the truck and honked the horn which I could barely hear. Told him he was a good ways off so he drove around to the other side of the lease.......just when he said he was going to honk again I saw his headlights through the woods......a whole 30 yards from where I stood in the brush. We had walked that close and paralleled the road for a good 30 minutes just couldn't see the road through the brush. He nor my son have let me live that one down yet...

Comment

Never been lost but I have taken a scenic route a time or two lol

Comment

Working...
                                X