• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hunt with a 45LC rifle and a 357 rifle

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
      .41 mag is much better! How ever most 50 yard rifles come in .44 mag
      I don’t know why but .44 mag rifles make me hear banjo music and think about people wearing overalls to church “ with snakes involved “

Lol. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Within it's range limitations, the .44 magnum is an excellent hunting cartridge. I have a Winchester lever action and a Ruger 77/44 bolt action, and several .44 magnum handguns. I've never hunted anything larger than deer and hogs with them, but have never had a problem taking those animals. I'd use that cartridge on much larger animals, if I had the opportunity. I cast a lot of my own bullets for the .44's, up to 345 grains.

Comment

They work.
          Killed pigs n stuff with
          10mm
          And 40 s&w

Holes all look the same from a 240g 44 down to the 155g 40

If a pistol bullet is hard enough to stay together it doesn't expand much.
          If it's soft it comes apart ad doesn't penetrate well

Comment

There are some factors with the 77/44 that make it an anomaly. The recoil -vs- Weight -vs- velocity can make it “seem” inaccurate so don’t believe bad internet stories about it.

The recoil on the 77/44 can make the gun move literally before the slower bullet exits the barrel. Your body weight and stance are a factor in this. You really need to hold the gun still through the shot like you were shooting a muzzle loader. Off hand is where some find the largest problem in this area. Great little rifle though.

For me, I think the Rem 180gr pills work awesome in it and they are upwards of 2,200fps so it gets on down the barrel faster.
            Last edited by Johnny44; 05-17-2018, 06:41 AM.

Comment

I have killed several bear, lions and hogs with a .44 Mag Ruger model 96 lever action rifle. I love this gun as it is short, lightweight and very nimble; unfortunately, Ruger no longer makes this rifle. We are leaving for a Navajo Spring bear hunt in the morning and Ruger is supposed to have me one of the Model 77-44 here today so that I can showcase the rifle that they are selling at this time.
              I am scheduled to go on a handgun hunt for Axis with Ruger in early June. I will be shooting the Redhawk in .44 Mag on this hunt as well. I typically shoot the Hornady 240 gr. XTP ammo in them as it really packs a punch at the closer ranges.
              Adios,
              Gary

Comment

Those ninety sixes are nice. I like a Stainless 77/44 set in a nutmeg Boyds Laminate with a Leupold 1-4x.

Comment

I'm a debbie downer. The more I read about 44 Mag the more I'd rather shoot a 30-30

Comment

Thats not being a debbie downer, its being realistic. The 30-30 makes much more sense in every way.

Everybody has a different flavor.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
                      Thats not being a debbie downer, its being realistic. The 30-30 makes much more sense in every way.

Everybody has a different flavor.
                      Yes sir, I like my little 44 Marlin but 100 yards is all its worth. I worked up a load using a whole bunch of WW296 and Hornady 200 gr XTP. They shoot real good, but it aint no 30-30. Reckon a feller has to realize its potential.

Comment

I think we just have a soft spot for 44’s or we are in too deep?

Comment

Single shot 44 Magnums are easy to ream to 445 Super Magnum for additional punch. That's if you can find the brass.

Comment

My granddaughter’s first with her CVA .44 Mag at 100 yards, you can see our blind in the background to the right of feeder legs. Yes, “eet will keel”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                              I'm a debbie downer. The more I read about 44 Mag the more I'd rather shoot a 30-30
                              If we used that line of thought, everyone would only have one rifle and it would be a 30-06

I have several .44 rifles and enjoy shooting them all.

Comment

Nice pic

Comment

Working...
                                X