Ski Denver, CO advise wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
    Back when we used to ski a lot, you could stay somewhere like Frisco and get lift tickets that were good for several of the local ski resorts (Keystone, Copper Mtn, Breckenridge, Vail, Beaver Creek, Arapaho Basin). Ski the Summit or something like that (Summit County). Winter Park is nice too but a lot of people from Denver ride the train there so it can get crowded depending on when you go.
    I think the first day the train runs is January 7th. We're looking to go middle of December so hopefully it wouldn't be too crazy packed.

Comment

Are you an advanced skier or boarder? Or prefer to hit a few runs before hitting the pub?

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
        Are you an advanced skier or boarder? Or prefer to hit a few runs before hitting the pub?
        Definitely not advanced. Only skiied once but caught on quick enough and went down a couple blues after a day of greens.

Going to try my hand at boarding this time so beginner level - but I'm a throw em in the creek to learn how to swim type of guy...

Comment

I would not really recommend Steamboat for a true beginner at something. There are only a handful of open greens. The greens are mostly trails.

Comment

Originally posted by chadt1234 View Post
            I would not really recommend Steamboat for a true beginner at something. There are only a handful of open greens. The greens are mostly trails.
            Thanks for the heads up.

The more we look at it, I think we're going to do Winter Park. Breck is a little more proud of their lift tickets and lodging. And the fact that the train won't be running when we're there has me hopeful WP won't be packed yet.

Comment

No love for Arapahoe Basin? Close to Breck, Keystone, etc. It's a good place to go if you want to avoid crowds. It's smaller, but has some good slopes.

Comment

Like most said here Breck is good, Keystone is the best around IMO. I buy the Epic Pass every year and spend most of my time at Key. It's got great runs, usually great powder, great town (Soup n Whiskey) and of course the night runs. We usually have a group and rent a home with HomeAway or some similar service. If you are going budget, Dillon is a short drive and lots of cheap places. No slope beats Wolf Creek though. Abasin is definitely a fun place too.

Comment

Went to Copper a few years ago, found place via VRBO. Owners hooked us up with coupons for lift tickets. Make sure to ask

Comment

Originally posted by muley4x4 View Post
                    Breckenridge or Keystone would get my vote. We've skied Vail but it can get pricy and lodging is a premium. I would look at the housing option and see if you can find one close to where you will be skiing. Then decide if you want to stay close to the slopes and eating establishments. My vote would be for the lodging that keeps you closer to where you will be spending most of your time.
                    X2. Beautiful place. Get your lift tickets after you get there. We rented a condo but had to also rent a car.

Comment

Originally posted by lwelch70 View Post
                      Going to try my hand at boarding this time so beginner level - but I'm a throw em in the creek to learn how to swim type of guy...
                      If you decide to do Breck instead, let me know. My nephew is a board instructor there. He will be in the know on all there is to know.[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Robertt View Post
                        X2. Beautiful place. Get your lift tickets after you get there. We rented a condo but had to also rent a car.
                        So are the "discounts" for buying loft tickets online just a selling ploy?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by lwelch70 View Post
                          Definitely not advanced. Only skiied once but caught on quick enough and went down a couple blues after a day of greens.

Got it.

Bottom Line: I've got a Burton Custom Board set-up with Burton Custom Bindings and Boots in 11 1/2 if you have interest. Boots run tight. I'm a 12 and used to wear them with lycra socks only. The whole set-up is yours for $100 if you have interest. Burton Custom Board, Custom Bindings, and Boots.

In short...I lifted my nose at boarders for 25 years until my right leg went into unintended propeller motion. Corrected my knee, surgery, took time off , and grabbed a board in '03. I LOVE IT!!! Ski whenever I need to assist my nephews or son. Otherwise, grab some air.

Mom was a 1st Olympic alternate in slalom. Broke her femur a few days before the flights to the games. I'm not bragg'in on me in any way, just my Mom. She's now 70 and still absolutely flies. It's all fundamentals. Just like a golf swing.

The difference is a bad fall vs your age.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                            Got it.

Bottom Line: I've got a Burton Custom Board set-up with Burton Custom Bindings and Boots in 11 1/2 if you have interest. Boots run tight. I'm a 12 and used to wear them with lycra socks only. The whole set-up is yours for $100 if you have interest. Burton Custom Board, Custom Bindings, and Boots.

In short...I lifted my nose at boarders for 25 years until my right leg went into unintended propeller motion. Corrected my knee, surgery, took time off , and grabbed a board in '03. I LOVE IT!!! Ski whenever I need to assist my nephews or son. Otherwise, grab some air.

Mom was a 1st Olympic alternate in slalom. Broke her femur a few days before the flights to the games. I'm not bragg'in on me in any way, just my Mom. She's now 70 and still absolutely flies. It's all fundamentals. Just like a golf swing.

The difference is a bad fall vs your age.
                            PM sent

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

All PMs returned.

NO, I "am not/was not" sponsored by Burton. They do have high quality equipment for boarders, but they do not provide me with any materials.

Comment

I've never been skiing. My wife has and wants to ho back. Post story and pics of your trip.

Comment

Working...
                                X