No announcement yet.

Keeping cows off of your property?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worked for a rancher for 10yrs. Raising cattle was some of his livelihood. We fixed all the fence on every pasture. I guess some of yall would split the cost of fixing a neighbors high fence full of monster deer and exotics.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvey View Post
      Worked for a rancher for 10yrs. Raising cattle was some of his livelihood. We fixed all the fence on every pasture. I guess some of yall would split the cost of fixing a neighbors high fence full of monster deer and exotics.
      I'd do half of what a normal fence would cost they could cover the rest

Comment

Lol, u bet.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
          Differs from county to county in Texas. Some counties are fence in and some are fence out. Good neighbors usually help each other and split cost.
          Depends on the county, and some countit's are split where both rules apply. The most economical and time saving would be to run an electric fence.

Comment

That's an annoying problem, OP. It's hard to believe that you'd be responsible for keeping someone else's stinkin cows (fencing) off of your place. Hopefully the neighbor will fix his fence. I definitely understand the concept of neighbors splitting fencing cost in SOME situations as it can increase property value, but I think it should fall on the livestock owner to keep their animals under control as best they can.

We lost about 20 acres of young beans once when I was young to an out of state neighbors cows. He was a real jerk about it. That is one of the only times in my life that I've seen my dad go off on someone. The guy bought row crop/swamp ground to raise cattle on and was hacked off that we wouldn't pay for a fence. After a couple years he figured out how big of an idiot he was, sold out, and went back where he came from.

Comment

Let them in and lead them out of your property when he realizes he's cows are escaping he's going to fix it.

Comment

I ran cattle and horses for over 30 years. I had 2 neighbors on one fence line that ran cattle and 3 fence lines the neighbors didn't have stock of any kind.

I kept up the fences on all 4 sides because the two neighbors with stock wouldn't help. And I didn't feel like it was the other neighbors responsibility to help pay for my expenses since I didn't share my profits with them.

Since I no longer run stock I have no fences and I don't plan to put any up. Neighbor or no neighbor since I won't be running any stock. Of course if a neighbor would like to share some of his profits from the fence I might change my mind.

JC

Comment

Originally posted by denowt View Post
                  I'm glad I don't have any neighbors like you.

If my neighbors don't have livestock, I don't expect them to share the cost to repair a fence that my cows destroyed.

Using your logic, do you expect the state to help pay for your road-front fences?

And it's not exactly a smart thing to admit that you would commit hunter harassment because your neighbor didn't want to pay for a fence that your cows tore up.

I've helped neighbors get their cows back, they've helped me get mine back.

I've helped neighbors fix a fence that their cows tore up, and they've helped me fix one that my cows tore up.

I'm glad I have good neighbors.

I thought I had a bad neighbor on one side, he's an angel compared to some of the keyboard warriors commenting on here.

You should've called the sheriff when he stole your cattle and sold them at auction.

Texas has an estray statute that lists specific steps that need to be followed.

You can't just load up someone's cattle and sell them at auction. The sheriff needs to be notified and there has to be an attempt to find the owner.

Brushtrooper,
                  I've spent a weekend helping a neighbor find stock that was lost due to floods. We found two dead and about 10 others we were able to bring home. Four people to do so. Wouldn't accept a penny for gas, labor, materials etc. If you were my neighbor with that attitude I wouldn't lift a finger. Karma will bite you in the arse with that attitude.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                    I'd do half of what a normal fence would cost they could cover the rest
                    Exactly what I did with a neighbor. He found out field fence doesn't do well across flooded "creeks". Barbed wire will hold cattle and let's water,debris. thru.

Comment

What an idiotic law. So it's legal in some.areas to graze your cattle on another man's land for free? If so seems that land owner is owed some steaks.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                        Differs from county to county in Texas. Some counties are fence in and some are fence out. Good neighbors usually help each other and split cost.
                        Yep, that's correct

Comment

To the OP. When I looked into it a couple years ago, I learned Wood County is a "fence in" county. I was and still am having problems with a neighbor's goats. There is no way in Hades that I am paying for a fence that will keep goats out.

Wood County like a lot of East Texas, is difficult and costly to to maintain fence. It certainly does not last forever. It rusts out fairly quickly although, usually the trees will destroy it first. Good for you to be willing to help out. A small strip like that is not tough to repair. Just know that you will be doing fence repair nonstop.

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
                            Well Sir, I am the one that will do my best to screw you over for buying land next to my place and not willing to pay half the fence. After I drop 5k for 1 mile of fence..think about it. I am that SOB the will run up and down that fence line with a train horn to prove a point
                            I own land and dont want a cow on it. I plant food plots and run feeders, both of which cows can destroy overnight. I have had neighbor cows get in several times and always work with them. Now that said, If you was my neighbor and intentionally screwing me over, I would talk to you once. Next time i would call the Sherriff to file charges on you. if that didnt fix the problem, you would loose cattle at an alarming rate.

Out in the country, a guys neighbors are his best asset or his worst liability. If I bordered you, it would be your choice which!

Comment

When times are dry and grass is low. Your neighbors grass is belly high.

There isn't a fence that will keep cows out once they find it.

Comment

Pull up your property on the appraisal district, you should be able to find out who owns the property. Most landowner's try hard to keep their cattle within the fences. I have dealt with one's who didn't too.

Best advice I can give, handle how you think it should be handled, knowing you will be neighbors for many years.....and keep it off the www!

Comment

Working...
                                X