Adventures in "trad" fishing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BowBuddy View Post
    When fly casting most people start out making an arc with the rod tip the movement with the rod hand is like sawing a board and the rod tip should draw a straight line in the sky. Pausing at each end of the line till the string loads the rod. Until this is learned double hauling will not be possible. Also with a proper cast the loop of the line will be tight. A good fly cast can empty the fly line or of the reel to the backing.in reality casting a fly rod is the same mechanics as shooting a long bow. The rod actually shoots the line.
    These two videos are what I used to "teach" myself casting and the basics. While I am by no means perfect (some experienced eyes have told me where to work on since then...) these really did help me get started in understanding what it should look like. Best tip... watch your backcast. Your backcast tells you alot and is arguably the most important aspect of the cast because it is the setup for how the line will behave on the forward cast. And there isn't anything wrong with watching it!

This guy and what he said really helped me. I practiced in my backyard (make sure it is on GRASS!!! not concrete/dirt, etc!!!)
    This is the full length video with Tim Landwehr on how to fly cast. The shop has a part 1, 2 and 3 on youtube but this is it wrapped into one. Check us out...

Orvis has alot of great videos on alot of basics. The casting series is good, as is the Bass series, etc. It helps to watch the first one though, because these videos are short and don't go into a whole lot of detail. This in my opinion is a well put together video series and I've shown them to my son and he likes watching them.
    Practice your fishing and casting technique with Fly Fishing Video Lessons from the OrvisĀ® Fly Fishing Learning Center. Learn the basics at your own pace.

Originally posted by Loreva13 View Post
    Pm sent! Thank you SwampRabbit! Very much appreciated!!!!
    Your welcome. I enjoyed tying them.

Originally posted by MikeW View Post
    When I first moved to Texas in the early 80's I didn't think there were any Fly Fisherman here. Folks would see me and come and ask what I was doing and then tell them "there ain't no trout in this lake"
    I remember reading recently about how trout fishing started in Texas and how all these fishermen showed up not knowing how to fish for them. Bringing large bass baits, etc.. I could visualize that scene and it makes me chuckle.

I find that more people are fascinated by it when I'm out there fishing, or people find out that I fly fish. I get asked more questions and they are intrigued by the fact that I tie the flies I am fishing. For what ever reason, people tend to rank fly fishing differently than other types of fishing in thier mind. Like it is more noble or something. Sort of reminds me of when people find out I bow hunt. The image in thier mind must be different.

And ya have to have a frog if your going to fish for bass.
    Love that frog!!!

Comment

Thought maybe I'd explain that photo of the flybox a little (in case anybody is following who is curious.) These consisist of my "go to" flies that I've been using this summer.

Hoppers - these are tied to #8 hooks. I cast them out and depending on how they land, might have to give them a tug to flip over. I usually strip/strip/pause on these. The puases are usually a few seconds. I've caught several bass on these.

Clouser Minnows - These are tied to #10 scud hooks. These are streamers and are fished below the surface. I vary the retrieve, but strip/strip pause tends to work with some really good hits on the pause. They actually swim upside down with the hook up. I've caught some panfish on these, but I have killed the bass with them. My biggest bass I caught I casted to a lilly pad and as this fell off of it, the bass just came in and swipped it on the initial fall. I think having the shorter, curved hook has really helped with the hook set, even though it makes it harder to tie. I don't fish these with a strike indicator because the fly is either swiming or dropping.

San Juan Worm - easiest fly to tie. Fished uder a strike indicator near a dock, etc like a worm and bobber. Has caught my son a couple of sunfish and I've got numerous takes... I haven't fished it alot as I've been playing around with another fly (crayfish)

Mini Hoppers - This is the Chunky special. I had seen these and didn't bother with them until Mark mentioned that the panfish were hitting the hopper but not near the hook. these are smaller and the hook is at the butt where panfish like to hit. I've caught more panfish with these than I can count. I fish them like the hopper. I have not mastered tying these to where they land on thier belly instead of their back most of the time. I have caught fish with it upside down, but if it lands belly up, I give it a tug to get it to dive and resurface wing side up and then strip/strip pause from there. Tied to a #12 hook.

Wolly Bugger - Not sure how this is spelled, seen it spelled alot of ways . Basically it is a fly that is a must have. I caught my first fish on a wolly bugger... but I don't actually fish it much as I like playing with the other patterns. These sink and are fished below the water with or without an idicator... usually without.

Caddis Fly - An adaption of the Elk Hair Caddis, this fly is simple. Rabbit fur body with Deer hair wing on a #14 hook. No hackle like the traditional fly calls for. When the gills are feeding on the surface these have been KILLER. No frills, but when it works, it really WORKS. These float, but do tend to sink slowly if they stay on the water too long. A good false cast will dry it out. I tend to cast it and let it sit for a while and will just recast it to another spot without stripping it back in. Sometimes a little twitch will induce a strike.

Blue Gill Spider - Tied to a #10 or #12 hook, these flies are simple. Usually fish it under a strike indicator. My son caught his first fish with one that he tied himself. He casted in it, it sank, it hook set and he pulled in a fish.

Those other things, I can't remember the name. They are deer hair and rubber legs witha bullet head. They float for a little bit and eventually sink to just below the surface. I tend to strip/strip/pause these as well fishing near the surface but not on top. I've caught basse and panfish on these when the fish want something slow, but not at the surface.

I have caught fish on other flies (small trout nymphs, etc...) but these are the lineup I tend to start out with looking for fish. I've also tied a gurgler, but they are about the same as the mini hopper as far as success.
      Attached Files

Comment

Been at it a while...
        ]
        How big of a hook on that crayfish/frog?

Comment

Another good link on selecting a fly line size

The #5 has suited me well for community lakes and ponds as well as wadeable streams/rivers like the guadalupe. I'd be buying a #7 or #8 for big lake fishing/salt water where the wind is a factor and/or the flies are much larger.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
            How big of a hook on that crayfish/frog?
            Man it's been so long since I tied those...the Frog is on a 1/0 Stinger...took me near 6-8 hrs to tie the first 6 or so...then I got them down to about 2 hrs.
            Legs are on 3X long streamer hooks...Use to run the circuit fly tying and trying to make a living at it..quit my real job all that....I hated tying them just did it for show. Guys would come and ask me how much for one? First time $25, he bought four! next time I told the guy I really didn't make them for sale...he kept bugging me I threw out $125 each just to scare him away....He ordered 10!

I quit showing them after that...I make a more effect frog that is way easier to tie.

The Crawdad is on a 1/0 Salmon fly hook that I bend with pliers.

Nobody did this really when I got here...first thing I did was try and duplicate Bass lures that were effective that bait casters were using...had to dye my own hair and feathers...nobody made pink or neon colors then.

Tied commercially for Dan Bailey(trout) for about 3 years and locally in the town I grew up in for a few years(trout again) then in Dallas for about 5-6 years bass and salt water patterns only.

Trying to remember the guys name that stole two of my patterns...Shinaboo Shad and a Bend Back Snake...you can still buy those today...showed them to him and he patten them. He was a local Dallas boy..made a couple videos and moved to Florida...right on the tip of my tongue...Met Billy Munn and Dave Whitlock and sat down with them a few times...learned a bunch about deer hair spinning.

Got a bunch more if ya wanna see them.
            Last edited by MikeW; 09-02-2014, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Man it's been so long since I tied those...the Frog is on a 1/0 Stinger...took me near 6-8 hrs to tie the first 6 or so...then I got them down to about 2 hrs.
              Legs are on 3X long streamer hooks...Use to run the circuit fly tying and trying to make a living at it..quit my real job all that....I hated tying them just did it for show. Guys would come and ask me how much for one? First time $25, he bought four! next time I told the guy I really didn't make them for sale...he kept bugging me I threw out $125 each just to scare him away....He ordered 10!

I quit showing them after that...I make a more effect frog that is way easier to tie.

The Crawdad is on a 1/0 Salmon fly hook that I bend with pliers.

Nobody did this really when I got here...first thing I did was try and duplicate Bass lures that were effective that bait casters were using...had to dye my own hair and feathers...nobody made pink or neon colors then.

Tied commercially for Dan Bailey(trout) for about 3 years and locally in the town I grew up in for a few years(trout again) then in Dallas for about 5-6 years bass and salt water patterns only.

Trying to remember the guys name that stole two of my patterns...Shinaboo Shad and a Bend Back Snake...you can still buy those today...showed them to him and he patten them. He was a local Dallas boy..made a couple videos and moved to Florida...right on the tip of my tongue...Met Billy Munn and Dave Whitlock and sat down with them a few times...learned a bunch about deer hair spinning.

Got a bunch more if ya wanna see them.
              Wow, that is some history right there. Haven't been at it long enough, but I recognize some of those names...

Go ahead and post up some more!

Comment

Hey Mark, how was the fishing/shooting? We need to try and make at least one more meetup in the woodlands some evening before Fall really starts in a frenzy.

Comment

Shooting has been good. I didn't do and fishing this trip. I should be around most of this week if you want to meet up.

Comment

Let me check the calendar. I forget which day isn't good... is it Wednesday?

In other news... just got a call from my wife saying that the package of hooks/materials that I ordered last week for tying some flies was cut open and the contents stolen. Yep, UPS went ahead and just delivered an empty cut open envelope. Had ordered some stuff to tie a few crawfish flies and was hoping to maybe try them out this upcoming weekend... looks like that won't happen.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your troubles Scott. By the way, I got the flies. Thanks again.

Comment

Wednesday will work for me if its good for you. Sucks about the delivery

Comment

Tomorrow night works. 6pm? You wanna pick a place... maybe something that holds bass

Comment

You are way more familiar with the area, I prefer it if you pick, you have done good so far, and besides....it's more about hanging out and practice anyway.

Comment

Okay... I've always wanted to try this spot
                              Wedgwood pond is on of the larger bodies of water in The Woodlands and is located at 42 Wedgewood Forest Drive, 77381. The pond was built in 1981 and only contains a small pavilion and benches located around the pond. The pond is relatively clear and seems to be fairly deep in the middle.

Parking is on the side of the road.

Comment

Well the fish refused to cooperate. If it wasn't for the incredible company, i would say it was a total bust. Just before packing it in... I did hook up with what could be a new species on the fly.... whatcha think? I am thinking rock bass.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1410398965376.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	24329233

Comment

Working...
                                X