2018 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Part Timer View Post
    Man i wish i had your problem! My wife came home with 5 more birds this weekend lol now i got to build a duck house. It took me over a year to convience her on the chickens and now she is addicted.

Full disclosure i wanted the extra chicks, ducks not so much. But its extra eggs!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I just want the eggs. She doesn’t want to have poop all over the yard but then complains that store eggs taste boring... I can’t win

Comment

A few more spots to fill but I got some stuff in the dirt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Last year I let my garden grow over with weeds and grass. I was able to rake out most of it since its still dormant or dead. Can i just till up the reat and throw some preen in there to keep it from coming back? I also.had some cabbage last year and some of it has greened back up, is this normal? Also what would be good to add to the dirt I already have down to help grow veggies? Manure or some kind of compost?

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
          Last year I let my garden grow over with weeds and grass. I was able to rake out most of it since its still dormant or dead. Can i just till up the reat and throw some preen in there to keep it from coming back? I also.had some cabbage last year and some of it has greened back up, is this normal? Also what would be good to add to the dirt I already have down to help grow veggies? Manure or some kind of compost?
          I see no reason why that wouldn’t be fine. For soil additions I like organic compost but that’s because we have a big bin in the yard that I can pull from. Mushroom compost is great.

You can do soil tests for pretty cheap if you really want to see what your soil is lacking.

I’m sure some of the folks who know more than me will come a long soon. You can search back through this thread and the last few years. I’ve gotten some great info from people on here

Comment

Salsa and canning garden is planted and growing.
            Tomatoes, and cucumbers plus two rows of okra, 2 rows of jalapeños and a half row of cilantro and half row of dill.

Comment

I finally finished up the concrete edging for the garden late last week. That meant it was time for compost! 3 cubic yards later, and I have every bed top dressed with 1”-3” of compost depending on how new they are. The back bed is a pollinator bed. The wife, son, and I picked out several perennial flowers, and the bed was heavily seeded with a Texas/Oklahoma wildflower mix, and a cup or so of Colorado wildflower seeds I collected on last year’s elk trip.

Comment

Everyone gardens looking great. Anyone have any luck growing any tropical fruits in containers? Looking at planting white guava and a Mango tree, anyone have any experience

Comment

I was actually able to get out in our garden plot yesterday evening and spray for weeds... Gonna give 'em a few days, then IF it will just hold off with the rain, I will turn everything over with the tractor/tiller and put the bedder on and make my bride some rows for planting... She's gettin' downright antsy to get stuff planted... I told her to forget 'taters, and just plant more purple hull peas n corn, a single row of okrey... we had okrey runnin' out our ears last year... 3 5gallon buckets cut every 3 days!! Going to try to put up a couple cattle panels and get some cukes in the ground... Last year, we just let 'em run on the ground, but seeing how some of you folks did the cattle panels, thought I'd give that a go... Got my fingers crossed the rain will give us a break!

Comment

Originally posted by Codypatt1 View Post
                    Everyone gardens looking great. Anyone have any luck growing any tropical fruits in containers? Looking at planting white guava and a Mango tree, anyone have any experience
                    Would love to do this and avocado but can’t find much info for north Texas.

My wife’s lemon tree is already covered up with its 2nd round of buds. I just need to put it in a bigger pot

Comment

I finally got mine turned over today and now my tiller is acting up. I hope the rain holds off.

Hoggslayer

Comment

Got my new beds built, filled, and planted this last week. It's been 7 years since we had a veggie garden.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post

I planted them in raised beds. These beds are 12” wide and 12” tall. I planted them 2’ apart. I’ve read that the roots don’t grow down. They grow wide.
                          Thank you. I want to give that a try as well. I like stuff that is low maintenance, like dill, parsley, poppy seed, etc. I have them in an area that I don't disturb and they continually re-seed themselves. Very handy.

Comment

I was finally able to turn over our garden plot this weekend!! Didn't stick the tractor, but after tilling it, walking around in it was next to impossible... It was still so wet that the dirt just stuck to the bottom (and sides) of my boots... Hope to have it dry enough before week's end to put the bedder on the tractor and put in some rows for my bride to start getting stuff in the ground. It actually rained a bit last night but nothing that should set us back... Don't think she's planning on 'taters this year... She wants peas, corn, cukes, maybe a few 'maters and some okrey... I want to try one more time to get some peppers going. No green house stuff this year for us. Just going to buy plants already started for everything except corn, peas and okra... might do some squash/zucchini, but the squash bugs did a number on us last year. I treated heavily late season for 'em and will put those in on the opposite side of the garden this year in an effort to help keep them under control. Last year was our first year at a "real" garden since we bought our place and it was fun, but we learned a lot and we really learned a lot following along on last year's garden thread... Will post up some pics when we get going...

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
                              The best advice I can offer is to sell your tiller! A few years ago we tried the “Back to Eden” gardening method because our little garden just would not produce the results we were looking for. Without a doubt it was the best thing I have ever tried.

I started with a 14x20 garden bringing in just a little over 1 ton of organic compost spreading it to @ 5-6” thick. I then brought in right at a ton of organic mulch spreading it over the compost. I could type and go into detail but I will let the video that turned me onto it speak for me. The best part, I can travel weeks on end and still have a lush garden!

Ok, well you got me interested now. So, if i am already gardening, is this going to take me a couple of grow seasons skipped to achieve this method? Or can i keep growing simultaneously?

This guy has me hooked. I haven't watched the entire thing, but its very interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rPPUmStKQ4
                              Last edited by Part Timer; 03-19-2018, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Man, y'all don't go promotin' that Eden gardening stuff!! I gotta justify this dang tractor and all the implements I have!!

Comment

Working...
                                X