Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txhoghunter73 View Post
    I booked my stay at port isla. I'm hunting from the 24th-28th
    Port Isla better run. Always busy on the weekends. Owners are super nice and live there upstairs over office.

Comment

I booked a room at the Casa Rosa Motel in Port Isabel. Any info on that place?

Comment

Originally posted by txhoghunter73 View Post
        I booked my stay at port isla. I'm hunting from the 24th-28th
        Oops my bad. I don't know that hotel. I was thinking about the casa rosa in port isabel.

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
          Oops my bad. I don't know that hotel. I was thinking about the casa rosa in port isabel.
          It's all good. Anyone else gonna be at port isla those days?

Comment

I'm still debating where I'm gonna stay this year. I ended up staying at the executive inn last year and yeah it was pretty bad. I had to go get a different room at first because the first room they gave me aleady had someone staying in it, luckily they weren't actually in the room when I walked in.

Comment

I also drew a Archery Tag for the first hunt period at LAWR . Nov 17-21. I reserved a camper spot at the Adolph Thomae Jr County Park. 15-22 This will be my first hunt at LAWR but I frequent the area, mainly for fishing. I'm primarily going after Nilgai. I would really like to bring some of that meat home. I've never had it but heard its great. From the information I have gathered it should deem to be a pretty tough hunt but I'm up for the challenge. I've decided to hunt by bike to get as far away from most people as possible in certain Units. I'll be using a standard Fat Bike to get around and I'm trying to see what type of trailer or game cart I will attach to it. I hear people talk about using tripods out there but I personally don't like the extra weight and gear to haul around. I plan on hunting from a chair utilizing any ground cover I can which seems sparse in a lot of areas. I'll be looking for fresh dung piles and where fresh game trails converge and water holes if its really dry. I'll try spot and stalk if the conditions are right etc but I hear they are very spooky and always alert. I'm very exited about this hunt and the experiences that come with it! Has anyone stayed at the park? Fishing off the pier any good?

Comment

How bad is the executive inn in Port Isabel?
                I am not expecting greatness. I would like airconditioning, running water- hot/cold, TV, toilet. possibly wi-fi. Preferably not have my car broken into.

Roaches, ehh, if I camped outside I would see them too. Just tryign to get idea if I should really move. Was looking at few other hotels in that area, same price range.

Comment

/QUOTE] I'm very exited about this hunt and the experiences that come with it! Has anyone stayed at the park? Fishing off the pier any good?[/QUOTE]

I stayed in a house on the Arroyo Colorado River last year, had my boat with me. We caught a lot of trout in the lights at night, they were packed in under the lights. Tough to catch them on lures, trout took a sibiki rig. Then I started catching shrimp in a cast net, which worked well if you throw up current and slow sink back down stream free lined with a small hook. I've been fishing from Baffin to SPI several days a week all year so I'm all fished out so this year, I'm not bringing a rod and reel! I may bring a few gigs and underwater lights though....cause well that's more hunting than fishing for some flounder!

Comment

Originally posted by JasonS View Post
                    How bad is the executive inn in Port Isabel?
                    I am not expecting greatness. I would like airconditioning, running water- hot/cold, TV, toilet. possibly wi-fi. Preferably not have my car broken into.

Roaches, ehh, if I camped outside I would see them too. Just tryign to get idea if I should really move. Was looking at few other hotels in that area, same price range.
                    Go camp outside then, I don't pay to sleep with roaches. I bet ShawnSmithTX will catch you a fish to eat!

Comment

A few TBHers last year rented a house together on the golf course in laguna vista. It came out cheaper per person than a hotel. I think they used vrbo.com to find the house.

Comment

We'll be camping at Adolph Thomae Jr park during the first Archery hunt. We'll be tent camping. Hopefully the weather cooperates for us. Plan on bringing fishing gear for night time for sure!

Comment

I stayed at the Casa Rosa Motel last year in Port Isabel. It was a great place and an easy drive to the refuge. The only complaint I had about the place is that the wifi rarely worked, other than that it was great. The beds are comfortable, the a/c worked, the rooms are big and clean, the ice machine worked, the parking lot is big and lighted, and there is a Walmart and Whataburger right down the street. Another plus is that it is pretty cheap. I am planning on staying there during my hunt this year 11/17/17 through 11/21/17.
                          Last edited by jakefromtx; 09-29-2017, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Okay fellas, for those of you looking for housing arrangements here is what I have for you.

I've booked a 3 bed 2.5 bath with garage on the water in Laguna Vista for a week, it'll sleep 8. 4 of us in a group. $1,100 split 4 ways.

There are cheaper options for those on a budget or in a smaller group. Casitas, 3 bed room 2 bath, I almost took this... 4 bed in one. 7 nights for only $711. You can book how every many days you need, minimum 2.

I shared that many of hunters will be in need of housing with LORI the Rental Manager. She is awaiting to help you guys out, tell her about your trip and how you heard of it. Many guys going solo can team up and have a very nice housing arrangement that wont break the bank, Lori said she will work with everyone on it.

Check your dates for arrival, departure, # of guests, and bedrooms.....THEN call to speak with Lori.

Hope this helps!!

Also, I'm about to go slay a biggin (12pt) I watched at 20 yards for an hour this morning, just shooting with the camera..... NOW I'm ready to put my hands on him! I'll post where appropriate!

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                              Okay fellas, for those of you looking for housing arrangements here is what I have for you.

I've booked a 3 bed 2.5 bath with garage on the water in Laguna Vista for a week, it'll sleep 8. 4 of us in a group. $1,100 split 4 ways.

There are cheaper options for those on a budget or in a smaller group. Casitas, 3 bed room 2 bath, I almost took this... 4 bed in one. 7 nights for only $711. You can book how every many days you need, minimum 2.

I shared that many of hunters will be in need of housing with LORI the Rental Manager. She is awaiting to help you guys out, tell her about your trip and how you heard of it. Many guys going solo can team up and have a very nice housing arrangement that wont break the bank, Lori said she will work with everyone on it.

Check your dates for arrival, departure, # of guests, and bedrooms.....THEN call to speak with Lori.

Hope this helps!!

Also, I'm about to go slay a biggin (12pt) I watched at 20 yards for an hour this morning, just shooting with the camera..... NOW I'm ready to put my hands on him! I'll post where appropriate!
                              Cool man good info here.

Anyone want to split a place lemme know. I'll be down there on the first hunt

Comment

Yeah, I would be up to splitting a place as well, took a look at the website looks like several really nice places. I'll be down there for the 24th - 28th hunt so gonna head down there on the 22nd for the orientation

Comment

Working...
                                X