X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you ever seen a Drilling?

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
    Oh my. I want it. A lot. Haha

Brother, there are a lot of guns that I might be willing to give you a "maybe" on, but this one will be pried from my cold dead fingers. I've been waiting for this since I was a little kid - longer than you've been alive! Lol!

When you visit some time, maybe we'll shoot it. I'm hoping it might be here by Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Horitexan View Post
      Brother, there are a lot of guns that I might be willing to give you a "maybe" on, but this one will be pried from my cold dead fingers. I've been waiting for this since I was a little kid - longer than you've been alive! Lol!

When you visit some time, maybe we'll shoot it. I'm hoping it might be here by Christmas.

I just want to shoot it haha

Comment

Had a Savage MDL 24 in 20guage and 30-30. Pond hunted mainly. Pigs come in for a drink or a Wood Duck landing I had it. One time had a covey of Quail come in to bath etc. Think I killed 8 with one shot.......

Comment

7.92 x57R under a 16 ga. double. My father brought it back from Germany following the war. I used to grouse hunt with it as a teen. Great balance and swing to it. Yours is a very nice example.

Comment

I've never seen one before. That thing is supercool. The fact that it's in fantastic condition, that it was your grandfather's, and has that particular history is a really amazing combination. I would imagine that it's worth a pretty good bit on the open market. But, priceless to you. I know you have no plans of realeasing. It makes me happy to hear that you are keeping it. So many folks will take a piece of their family's history and cash it in for the almighty dollar. Good for you. Sorry for the passing of your grandfather.

Comment

Dang Nick, that is freaking NICE!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Just drooled all over my keyboard even though I'm not a Hensoldt fan. Absolutely gorgeous rifle. Is that double set triggers or barrel selector?

Comment

Cool gun. Learned something new.

Comment

Originally posted by Horitexan View Post
                    Thanks Dave. I think he purchased the Drilling after the war but I'm not 100% certain. He took all of his guns and wrapped them in grease and buried them during the early days of the war, before he was sent to the Russian front. They remained buried until it was safe for him to pull them out. It was a couple years after the war before he was sure the US forces wouldn't confiscate them. He kept one buried shallow that he used for hunting to provide meat for the family. Luckily he ran a paper mill before and after the war and he was able to work with the US Army; and that got him some dispensations.

It's a 16ga with a 7x57R and I think it's a 1.5-6x Hensoldt scope with a #1 reticle. It's very cool.

Ach, der lieber Augustin! I forgot to mention that a drilling literally means "triplet" in German ("drei" means "three").

Oh, and Ach, der lieber Augustin is a popular old German children's song (literally "Oh you dear Augustin"). Thankfully, my wife is a German gal and my official German translator.

Regards,

Dave
                    Last edited by Double-O-Dave; 09-15-2017, 07:07 AM.

Comment

sweet gun!

Comment

Thank for the kind words, fellas! It's a special gun with incredible

To clarify, it was my uncle that just passed - my grandfather passed about 30 years ago and my uncle got it with instructions that it passed to me, when he died. He never married or had any kids so I was like a son to him and he was like a 2nd father to me.

Sure wish my Opa would have lived another 30 years, though - that would have been awesome! I found some incredible pictures of him on this trip. He, like many people, was forced into military service. As the head of a paper company (prior to the war) he was made an officer and served in a tank unit on the Russian front. He was captured and sent to a prison camp in Siberia. He escaped the camp and walked all the way back to his home in Germany; traveling only at night. He made it home, to my Oma and my mother and my uncle, right at the end of the war. He was a great guy that was always a joker and an entertainer - the life of every party and always the last one to leave! Lol! Lots of memories.

It was always a little difficult growing up, being half American and half German. At that time, WWII wasn't that far gone and there were lots of people that had lost family during the war. There was still quite a bit of animosity towards both Germany and Japan. Didn't matter to some that my American side of the family had also lost lots of people and that Dwight Eisenhower was one of my American Grandfather's 2 best friends and a member of his cabinet. That was just the way it was back then. It was a great time to grow up, though, IMO; and my 2 grandfathers were close friends and my HEROES!

Here's some pix of of my Opa:

Opa teaching men how to shoot. He was a terrific shot!

Opa with a big bear. The rug from this bear is in Germany but it seems that it's impossible to bring it to the US because of a paperwork nightmare. Very very sad. It's HUGE brown bear for Europe. Ginormous!

Opa with a really terrific red stag. Check out the mass! That's 100% native and 40 years before high protein feed and high fences.

Just Opa

Originally posted by WhiplashTX View Post
                        Just drooled all over my keyboard even though I'm not a Hensoldt fan. Absolutely gorgeous rifle. Is that double set triggers or barrel selector?

Honestly, I'm not sure. Lol. I didn't have time to shoot it while I was there; and it really hasn't gotten used much, obviously. When I was over there hunting I used other guns since it was so specialized and such a family treasure. I'm guessing that it's a barrel selector but there's no telling. There's a switch on the side, though. So, it could be that the triggers are each assigned a shotgun barrel and then, when the switch is thrown, the triggers become a double set for the rifle. I'm just not sure.

Now you have me intrigued! Lol! Leave it to one of my OSR brothers to think of that. I'm going to have to do some asking around to see what I can find out. When I do, I'll report back. GREAT question!

Comment

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                          X