• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quattro looks old and mature. Hit list?

Comment

Originally posted by hchunter View Post
      Quattro looks old and mature. Hit list?
      He is my #1 this year. Talking to the previous owner i think he might have been a good sized 10 we saw last year, not positive though.

Comment

Its been a while since I updated.

Everything is very green out, and acorns are falling.

Quatro has been hitting the feeder more often. Hopefully he makes an appearance next weekend.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	PRMS0566.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	24257894

Name:	PRMS0450.jpg
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	24257892

Name:	PRMS0459.jpg
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	24257893

We got to within a few feet of this juvenile porcupine while filling feeders today.

Name:	541439_10202220515935573_16118614_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	24257891

Comment

Sip, you have a really nice place. I enjoy seeing the pictures and reading about it. Congrats on your first bow kill too.

Comment

Cuatro down!!!
            Attached Files

Comment

Nice job Sippy! He's a great unique deer. Glad to someone connect on their target buck!

Comment

FABULOUS! Congrats Sippy!

Comment

Thanks!!

Comment

Looks to me like you are having too much fun with all this management. This is so awesome. Looks like all the fun and hard work paid off. Nicely done. Congratulations.

Comment

congrats on quarto sippy, hes got some mass to him.

Comment

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389233807.863312.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	24277457

Tiffany scored on her first whitetail today!

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
                          [ATTACH]587868[/ATTACH]

Tiffany scored on her first whitetail today!
                          Flash dude.... Cool LDP

Comment

Haven't seen any updates on this thread in awhile, still hard at it??

Got a question for you regarding protein. Finally set up my two 1000lb feeders in Santa Anna, what should I fill them with?? I went ahead and put 4 or 5 sacks of 16% I found at the feedstore in SA mixed with 6 or 7 sacks of corn, in an attempt to get them acclimated to the feed. What do you use in your feeders and where can I find it cheapest?
                            Last edited by bigmike585; 04-02-2014, 09:25 AM.

Comment

I just read through some of the thread, looks like your on red chain 17%. I'll have to check and see if there is any on my route to SA.

Noticed your degree was wildlife, so I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. I've been told that any pellet over 16% protein doesn't make a difference, or just gets pooped out, or not utilized by the deer. Some others have said the max is more like 20%, but I also noticed the price was the same whether the protein was 16 or 22 percent. Any advantages to feeding the higher % stuff, or could it even be bad for their health to be getting that much protein pumped into them? Or will they not consume as much?

Anyhow, my goal in feeding isn't antler growth, it's just to keep and hold them around my property. Obviously I'd like to go the cheapest route, but I'd like them to have at least some nutrition, otherwise, I'd just fill em with corn. I read on another thread that if you were to feed them a lower protein livestock pellet, they'll just go through that much more, to get what they need out of it, offsetting any money savings.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmike585 View Post
                                I just read through some of the thread, looks like your on red chain 17%. I'll have to check and see if there is any on my route to SA.

Noticed your degree was wildlife, so I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. I've been told that any pellet over 16% protein doesn't make a difference, or just gets pooped out, or not utilized by the deer. Some others have said the max is more like 20%, but I also noticed the price was the same whether the protein was 16 or 22 percent. Any advantages to feeding the higher % stuff, or could it even be bad for their health to be getting that much protein pumped into them? Or will they not consume as much?

Anyhow, my goal in feeding isn't antler growth, it's just to keep and hold them around my property. Obviously I'd like to go the cheapest route, but I'd like them to have at least some nutrition, otherwise, I'd just fill em with corn. I read on another thread that if you were to feed them a lower protein livestock pellet, they'll just go through that much more, to get what they need out of it, offsetting any money savings.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.
                                This is Sippy, Tiffany left herself logged in.

Yes sir, I am currently using 17% red chain at about $9.50/50#.

A 16% protein is all you need. In fact the nutritionist at Red Chain told me he does not understand why some feed solely 20%, and said he actually is somewhat concerned about a 20% as their sole feed source.

I would stick to a protein pellet formulated specifically for cervids.

Comment

Working...
                                X