My experience with the post office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My experience with the post office

So I'm getting married tomorrow and I've been slowly moving for the last couple of weeks. I put in my change of address on Dec 15, asking for it to be effective on the 21st. Since then I've gotten a grand total of 3 pieces of mail. There's a couple things that I'm waiting on, one being a large check. So I called the post office and had the following conversation:

Me: hi, I recently moved from on address in Flower Mound to another address in Flower Mound. I'm not getting my mail.

PO lady: what's the new address?

Me: 1600 Pennsylvania(I actually gave the real one)

PO lady: lemme check
    (Hangs up on me)
    (I call back

Me:hi, it's me again, can I have my mail?

POL: I checked with your old carrier and your new carrier and they aren't holding your mail.

Me: why would they?

POL: sometimes they hold your mail for a week or so to give you time to get moved.

Me: do people commonly live in their cars for a week between moves?

POL: sir, I'm not sure.

Me: ok, so where's my mail?

POL: it's in the system. It takes about 2 weeks to process the address change.

Me: but I moved from Flowet Mound to Flower Mound.

POL: I understand, but it's a system.

ME: but it's there somewhere? Can I swing by and grab it? This seems really simple.

POL: sir, it could be anywhere.

ME: how is that? I maybe forgot to mention that I moved from Flower Mound to Flower Mound. It's all the same post office.

POL: I know, but it takes 2 weeks.

Me: is this 2015? You mean to tell me that in 2015 it takes 2 weeks to get your mail from Flower Mound to Flower Mound but I'm supposed to believe we shot a man to the moon way back in 1969? There seems to be a strange technology gap.

POL: good point

Me: where's my mail?

I mean, cmon man!!!!

Wow sounds like some builders we do work for. Lol hope you get your mail in a timely matter

Comment

Man,this is probably not as funny to you as it is to me reading it.
      I recently moved from south of Kempner Tx to north of Kempner Tx and had no trouble getting my mail. Flower Mound is much larger and maybe thats the problem but I'm with you, same post office why cant someone simply walk back there and grab the freakin mail. But I suspect it has something to do with them being Gov. employees.
      Not that all Gov. employees are bad or inept but it sure seems like more than a few are in places like the post office and the DMV.

Side note, I recieved a warrant for my arrest a few years ago. Didn't pay a speeding ticket...but I did send the check to the county...by mail...put it in the large mail box outside the post office which is 3-4 blocks from the sheriffs office ( both of which were packed full of people being the reason I decided to drop it in the box) They said, no tellin where that check is Mr. Wiseman
      Last edited by flywise; 01-02-2016, 02:55 AM.

Comment

The USPS is horrible and getting worse by the day. It should be privatized.

Comment

Wait until this conversation happens about something involving your healthcare some day. Government can't run much of anything in an effective manner.

Comment

I have had the same issues with our local post office when I move. They delivered the mail for about the first month and then I got a letter in MY MAILBOX stating that my address wasn't valid. We had bought raw land and moved a travel trailer on it while building a house. I still don't understand how it isn't a valid address when you have already been delivering for a month and you leave the not in MY MAILBOX. They are not to bright anymore.

Comment

The problem is people wait on the post office to do all the work. You are supposed to call people and let them know your new address. The post office if giving you a free service. Some of the places you do business with pay for a service , that we tell them your new address. Others never know and the forward expires after a year. Then they are still sending to your old address. Yes it does take 7-10 days sometimes to get in our sorting system. If everyone would notify everyone of their new address, you wouldn't ever have to worry about the postal services forwarding system. If you change your email who's going to notify everyone of your new email address? And on the guy who posted about the mail man delivering for a month and then not. Probably what happened you were given a address buy the builder or title company. The mail person knows where the mail goes, but your address has to be generated by 911. The postal service does not come up with the address. So if you make a emergency call through 911 they can find you because your address came directly from them. I had the same exact problem when I moved into my house.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                But I suspect it has something to do with them being Gov. employees.
                Hey, don't rush them. They need to pace themselves to protect their jobs. Just think if there were less of them how slow it would be. The postal system workers don't care if you're satisfied or not. Just keep them paid with benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by dabuckmaster24 View Post
                  The problem is people wait on the post office to do all the work. You are supposed to call people and let them know your new address. The post office if giving you a free service. Some of the places you do business with pay for a service , that we tell them your new address. Others never know and the forward expires after a year. Then they are still sending to your old address. Yes it does take 7-10 days sometimes to get in our sorting system. If everyone would notify everyone of their new address, you wouldn't ever have to worry about the postal services forwarding system. If you change your email who's going to notify everyone of your new email address? And on the guy who posted about the mail man delivering for a month and then not. Probably what happened you were given a address buy the builder or title company. The mail person knows where the mail goes, but your address has to be generated by 911. The postal service does not come up with the address. So if you make a emergency call through 911 they can find you because your address came directly from them. I had the same exact problem when I moved into my house.

A free service? It dang sure ain't free. Somebody paid postage to get the mail to him. And that's their dang job to get him his mail.

Comment

The postage is paid to be delivered to the address on the mail. More work involved in forwarding mail or packages. That's why fed ex and UPS does not offer this service. The privacy act has kept your local post office from doing in post office forwarding. Carriers are not supposed to know where you move. Regardless, I hope everything gets lined out and you start getting your mail OP!!!

Comment

If you mail a letter to someone in Taylor, Tx thru the Taylor,tx post Office it goes to Waco then back to Taylor.
                      Last edited by Ungawa; 01-02-2016, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Now you know why they call it Snail Mail.

Comment

Originally posted by Ungawa View Post
                          If you mail a letter to someone in Taylor, Tx thru the Taylor,tx post Office it goes to Waco then back to Taylor.
                          This is so true and blows my mind.

Comment

I can sympathize with you on this. I get our company mail daily and often have to wait in line to mail something or pick up a package. It is sad that our once great postal system has fallen so far. The coldness and rudeness of the clerks is unbelievable at best, the majority of us would not have a job if we acted as a lot of them do. I witnessed a woman wait in line to mail a package and after taking care of that presented a card for parcel pickup, the clerk told her she had to go get in the parcel pick up line for that and would not walk 10 feet to get her parcel. Mind you when the parcel window is closed that very clerk will walk 10 feet to get your parcel. It is a sad situation indeed.

Comment

When I need something important like a check and i unfortunately need to deal with shaneeqwa who doesn't give two flying flips, I suck it up and be as courteous as possible to get her help. Anything she could have gone out of her way to do went out the window with the sarcastic reply's you gave.

Comment

Working...
                              X