A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr Sid View Post
    Fawns? That's Interesting Mr Rusty. That puts breeding mid September to early October, like some areas SW of Rapides. Have you seen a change in breeding dates through the years on your place?
    I think we have moved breeding a couple of weeks earlier than it was years ago. That is just a guess from anecdotal observations but what I know for sure is that the rut is tighter, furious then by mid November it is all over. Fawns are now dropping mid April to the first of May.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
      I think we have moved breeding a couple of weeks earlier than it was years ago. That is just a guess from anecdotal observations but what I know for sure is that the rut is tighter, furious then by mid November it is all over. Fawns are now dropping mid April to the first of May.
      Curiously, just down the road and across the river the rut is late Dec , early January less than 20 miles away.

Comment

Come across anymore sheds?

Comment

Rusty, like you I am waiting for it to dry out. I have planted one soybean plot on a hill but that is all so far. All seeds are in but it's just to wet an I am hoping it will dry out next week. we need the rain after planting "not before planting" lol. and the Rut, just w few miles west of Shreveport, is going on hard in Mid Nov and fawning takes place in May here on my place.
          Thanks for sharing Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
            Curiously, just down the road and across the river the rut is late Dec , early January less than 20 miles away.
            Yep, the rut in La is crazy. Our rut (an hour from you) begins around Christmas and gets full swing mid January. I filmed a small 8pt breed a doe this past season on January 21st.

Our fawns wont start hitting the ground until sometime in June. That makes it hard to start bushogging or discing anything during mid summer for fear of killing a little one.

Comment

Agreed. Very cool. Following it daily.

Comment

Tuned in

Comment

elgato, you mentioned not mowing during fawning season and just after in an earlier post. We used to mow 1100 acres in Al during the summer when fawns were hiding in the grass. We welded/attached a horizontal pipe about six feet in front of the wheels, maybe two feet off the ground. Then welded pieces of chain that reached the ground, every six inches.

The chain rattling and dragging along would make the fawns jump up and run out of harms way.

just a thought if you've never seen that...

Comment

last yr I had a new fawn show up in July and I see it every week and it is way small compared to the other deer on my place.

And Rusty, like your seed picture, my seeds are just setting here, waiting for it to dry up and it rained hard yesterday evening and last night AGAIN.

Comment

2 1/2" yesterday,{ Probably 5" over the week} 50% today, 90% tomorrow, 20% Sunday,. Towards end of next week back to 80%. Been an amazing spring. Not sure last time it's been this wet. I'm not complaining because it is beautiful, vibrantly green and lush. However, the seed just sits in the barn. Lots of time though and once there is the slightest break , we should be drilling to plenty of moisture.

Comment

For everyone that likes to grow big bucks:

Based on the foundation laid with habitat and herd mgt. the next 90 days determines the quality of the bucks for the year! Showtime.

It is finally drying out here in La. The tractor will be running solid for the next several weeks. Starting tomorrow we will finish planting the summer crops. So far I only have about 14 acres planted with a lot to go. It will take at least 7-10 days of all day every day planting.

Next will be mowing last years vetch and Alyce clover. If it hasn't started sprouting yet I will spray after mowing it. If I can I'll spread a little fertilizer on it weather and work load dependent.

After the vetch I'll mow certain clover fields where I can be confident there won't be any fawns. The bigger fields will have to wait until the end of May to avoid chopping up any babies.

I ran a dose of wormer thru all the feeders in March and from now on they will stay loaded till the end of August. Even with all the green new weed growth and clover, the deer are hammering the protein. As stated before there is no question in my mind that even with abundant agriculture, pellets add inches and health to the herd.

I think we have finally broke the code on coon proofing the feeders. Cameras will tell for sure. If so I'm interested in measuring the impact of non target specie waste. I suspect it is significant.

This is one of my favorite times of the year. Getting everything planted then getting to watch the bucks all summer. Cool stuff.

Pictures to follow as we crank it up.

Comment

I'm back in! Bring it!

Comment

I'm ready! This has been my favorite thread on TBH so far!!

Comment

Need the Code Buddy.. Let us know the results

Comment

Looking for each post! Thanks for taking your time to share with us.

Comment

Working...
                                X