Malinois Belgian Shepherds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
    While I dont disagree the same could be said for Lacys. The amount of Lacys needing re-homed on FB is down right despicable.
    Agreed. I let my lacy out to roam on 40 acres as soon as I get home from work. She is constantly roaming, hunting, or harassing the livestock. Thank goodness she only herds the chickens, ducks, and geese around. She hasn't killed any of my birds. And she hasn't been kicked or trampled by the horses... yet. I'm afraid it's a matter of time before a horse finally catches her with a kick. But she's by far the best d@mn hunting dog I've had.

Comment

I will put in my 2 cents. I have trained all kinds of breeds Labs GSD Mutts and now Standard Poodles. The breed the we put in the most time was the GSD. High drive means a lot more time you have to spend with them. Look at a breed that will do the job you want them to do. Not because it is a popular breed or because so and so has one. One of the best guard dogs I have ever had was a half GSD half Collie. She was just a bad *** but you could bring any small child around her without fear of her hurting them. To many people get " the popular breed of the day and end up surrendered them because the can not handle them witch makes me sick. That being said I am a big fan of the Standard Poodle. Smart easy to train protective of their people and place dose not shed and will hunt. What ever you get spend as much time as you can with them it will pay off in the end.

Comment

Expanding on what Rig said...….it's not just the breed but the lines within the breed. You can get pet lines in GSD.....or show lines that are not high strung and drivey. You can also get West German working lines that are just as crazy as Mals.

For just a pet the west German show lines are great. As stated earlier, they have to be able to work and be titled in IPO/Schutzhund in order to be bred in Germany. I had one before my currecnt dog. Huge at 105 lbs. Gorgeous. Not a mean bone in his body. However he would bark at strangers and his look was intimidating enough to ward off the bad guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
          Yeah. The AKC stresses breeding for a specific look. In Germany even the show lines have to work and be titled in IPO.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

German lines are the only lines I have looked at specifically out of Germany. All of their lines have to work first and foremost, looked at some Jagd, teckel, and GSD from Germany. To many American breeders are solely in for looks. The Germans have got it right hopefully more people around here will follow.

Comment

Yep.

Love me some German breeds.

If I ever own another breed it would be a Doberman or Rottweiler.

Comment

BoB, those dogs you have are some of the best looking ever put on TBH. I know you are partial to them and I can see why, sort of like me being partial to my Rotties!

Comment

Just saw this and don't have time to read all the replies, hope you're still reading. These dogs need LOTS of exercise AND a job. I saw you said you have property, that's great, but do you have ALOT of time to spend with the dog? My K9 is a Mal. Days I don't work I take him out and RUN him with a toy at least 3 times a day. He will drive me nuts if I don't. The days I do work I still have to take him out and run him once or twice a day. My department pays me an hour a day to care for my dog. I spend that or more EVERY DAY with him. If they don't get enough attention and exercise they can develop very bad habits (digging, chewing, constant barking, etc).

As much as I love my partner, I don't recommend the breed except as a working dog. If you're not into some kind of dog sports (Schutzhund, KNPV, etc) with lots of time on your hands I would go with a German Shepherd (my first K9 was a GSD). Much better family bonding, usually not as destructive, better family dogs in general.

Side note, our other K9 handler's first dog was a Mal, very sensitive to storms (thunder/lightning). My dog is terrified of storms. I used to love watching thunderstorms from the porch. Now I dread them. He will wake me up 45 minutes before a storm gets here just to tell me I'm not allowed to sleep until it's gone. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not. Same dog will run into gunfire without hesitation, but thunder and fireworks and I'm not sleeping.

Comment

Originally posted by flyby View Post
                  Just saw this and don't have time to read all the replies, hope you're still reading. These dogs need LOTS of exercise AND a job. I saw you said you have property, that's great, but do you have ALOT of time to spend with the dog? My K9 is a Mal. Days I don't work I take him out and RUN him with a toy at least 3 times a day. He will drive me nuts if I don't. The days I do work I still have to take him out and run him once or twice a day. My department pays me an hour a day to care for my dog. I spend that or more EVERY DAY with him. If they don't get enough attention and exercise they can develop very bad habits (digging, chewing, constant barking, etc).

As much as I love my partner, I don't recommend the breed except as a working dog. If you're not into some kind of dog sports (Schutzhund, KNPV, etc) with lots of time on your hands I would go with a German Shepherd (my first K9 was a GSD). Much better family bonding, usually not as destructive, better family dogs in general.

Side note, our other K9 handler's first dog was a Mal, very sensitive to storms (thunder/lightning). My dog is terrified of storms. I used to love watching thunderstorms from the porch. Now I dread them. He will wake me up 45 minutes before a storm gets here just to tell me I'm not allowed to sleep until it's gone. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not. Same dog will run into gunfire without hesitation, but thunder and fireworks and I'm not sleeping.
                  I have decided against a Mal. Going with GSD. Thanks for the input though

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                    BoB, those dogs you have are some of the best looking ever put on TBH. I know you are partial to them and I can see why, sort of like me being partial to my Rotties!
                    Thanks. I like yours too.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                      I have decided against a Mal. Going with GSD. Thanks for the input though
                      Good decision in my opinion. Went back and read the rest of the posts and will agree the GSD is also more intelligent. I was absolutely amazed at how intelligent my GSD was after owning labs/lab mixes all my life. Mals are great working dogs, but are very high maintenance. Breeding lines do make a difference, but getting a puppy you never know what genes that dog actually got until they begin maturing.

I will have another GSD in my lifetime. If I do get another Mal it will only be as a working dog.

Comment

Originally posted by flyby View Post

My dog is the opposite. Obviously he is not trained like your K9. He pays no attention to storms or fireworks but is very gun shy. I did all the loud noise training when he was young.

Comment

With all that has been said.....
                          I have been spoiled by Bagley for the last 7 or 8 years.
                          I take her to work with me and never have a concern about anyone being in the building that does not belong and sleep well at night knowing someone would have their hands full if they tried to break into the house.

I know in a couple of years she will be done.

I will be in the market for another protection dog. I owned a white German Shepard 20 years ago that was afraid of everything and would hide under a trailer if a stranger drove up.

What is a good breed to have around that will bite when you need them to but still safe to take to work?

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                            With all that has been said.....
                            I have been spoiled by Bagley for the last 7 or 8 years.
                            I take her to work with me and never have a concern about anyone being in the building that does not belong and sleep well at night knowing someone would have their hands full if they tried to break into the house.

I know in a couple of years she will be done.

I will be in the market for another protection dog. I owned a white German Shepard 20 years ago that was afraid of everything and would hide under a trailer if a stranger drove up.

What is a good breed to have around that will bite when you need them to but still safe to take to work?
                            White GSDs are not good lines. The dog you described was the result of bad nteeding which plagued the breed in the US. I had a freind years ago that had a big one and he would tear your limbs off. Lol. Her friends could not go near him.

The answer to your question is a well bred GSD, Doberman or Rottweiler. However the average dog owner should not have a powerful dog that will bite.

Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 07-12-2018, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Thanks for this thread and input! I have read much of the same and I'm very cautious of breeds like this anymore. I found out very quick much the same with the Akita's, Kuma...

What has been described reminds me of folks who buy pointers, short hairs and never exercise or hunt them? After Kuma passed we now have a Catahoula that is SO protective (great) but I have to be on "point" when anyone is around that Myla does not know?

I spent a lot of $$ when I first got RIP Kuma...told by several Vets and owners to have him trained. He minded me, would walk beside me and respond to hand/verbal commands but let another "critter" make the mistake and they were DRT.

Just too many folks who get a "high spirited" canine and don't research to their breeding....not much help but as usual my 2cents.

Comment

Akitas are beyond powerful. Lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X