No announcement yet.

Maybe I'm just not tough enough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are probably not tough enough... but not sure what that has to do with your tab/glove conundrum.

I am with Rick and Bob, I don't have any desire to "feel" the string. Feeling it doesn't provide me any feedback that I can think of that helps me "feel" the shot.

As Rick said though, I do want to feel my anchor point... but I am not sure I need to feel that with the tips of my fingers... I feel the contact with my face. But I am not as good of a shot as Rick and we use different anchor points... so maybe that plays a role I hadn't given much thought to.

But now for the interesting thing. I finally got to shoot a Rick Barbee tab!!! (not because he sold me one... ) Just happened into one. Well as it turns out I have gotten so used to my Saunders PAK tab, that Rick's tab felt weird. I would get a bit of a slap on my finger tips. It took me a while, but I finally determined that it was because of the ergonomics of getting the tab into the right position vs the ergonomics of the PAK tab. Once I figured out the positioning... the sting went away. Even so, I felt the string moreso with Rick's tab vs my tab. My tab has more of a rubbery/plastic and Rick's has a woven material that gives a little more. I am going to play with it a little more, but unfortunately, just like the "old" Saunders tabs... they don't make them any more. I ordered a "new" Saunders tab and I can tell what everybody has been complaining about... I'll give it a go and try and "break it in" but I am already none to pleased with how much stiffer the new plastic is.

Comment

The size of a tab is very important.
      Most folks who have trouble with them are having that trouble because the tab isn't the right size. Usually to large, but occasionally to small.

Tab size is determined by the width of your fingers. Not the length.
      The length of your fingers is accommodated by how you position the tab on your fingers front to back.

My tabs (not trying to advertise my tabs here) are designed specifically for the use of a standard deep hook on the string, and sometimes are not satisfactory to someone who prefers to shoot off their finger tips.

Get the tab (any tab) width right for your finger width, and get it positioned correctly on you fingers without having a lot of extra length, and you won't get any slap on your face from it, you won't get any finger sting, AND it will generally lend to a much quieter shot.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by SwampGhost View Post
        I have shot thousands of arrows with no issues but this weekend at Chester, using the same Eichler Tab I've always used, I worked up a blister on the tip of my ring finger. The Eichler tab is pretty thick too so I don't know what's up, maybe I'm doing something different....
        It also rained and we got soaked. Lots of folks complaining about wet tabs and issues. Except me and my pak tab.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

I have short, thick fingers. The medium summer glove I ordered fits the diameter of my fingers better. The speed glove is a large and I may order a medium to see if it makes a difference.

I'm not struggling with anything. I'm just comfortable enough with my form and shooting that I want to see if something else will work better for me.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

I just shoot fingers.

Comment

Now that's what I'm talkin bout.

Comment

Went out to shoot and fingers are still too sore to use summer glove. Put on my speed glove and shot a few dozen arrows.

Comment

I try to only shoot enough arrows to keep my form in check. When I start getting tired, I quit for the day. When I pull my arrows from the target, I pull the best shot last and try to visualize that shot in my head. Just my $.02

Comment

I pretend i really was shooting at the dot in the top left corner with the one stray arrow. [emoji5]

Comment

Or the bottom right. [emoji2]

Comment

Nice group! Remember it is only the first shot that counts.

Comment

If that were all that counts than we would only shoot one arrow per practice session.

What counts is being consistent and being able to train your body and mind so that when you only do get only one shot it goes where you need it to.

Thus the reason I shoot a lot of arrows.

Plus I enjoy it.

Comment

It takes me fifteen or twenty shots to get my fingers and eyeballs working correctly. I can take a break for five minutes and have to start all over. So, with that in mind I have to wait for deer to get really close and first shot of the day challenges are out.

Comment

I gave up on tabs very quickly. I keep thwacking my nose with the string. Does any one make an archers nose bra?

Im trying to migrate from full leather elk gloves to nitrile coated gloves. I padded some with duct tape on the inside but it has formed a groove valley. Im about to rip the duct tape out and glue thick dense felt or something else on three fingers on both gloves. Ive identified some neoprene beer coozies that will be dissected for experimentation. Not all coozie material is the same...even the neoprene. Im going for thin but dense.

Comment

I always shoot a few arrows before going to sit.

Comment

Working...
                                X