Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
    Apparently we have quite a lot of moose / polar bear hunters

For Texas game, any of the common 6.5 variants (6.5x47, 6.5 CM, 6.5x284, 6.5x55, 6.5 SAUM, 260 Rem) are perfect. Personally I like 6.5 CM if you don't reload and maybe if you do; 6.5 SAUM/GAP4S is also very appealing but only if you do.

If you think you'll go on an occasional Alaskan moose hunt and 6.5 is not enough... buy a second gun just for that. Seriously. We've all had that "one gun to rule them all" quest, and in the end you'll be disappointed with a gun that isn't ideal for anything.
    No, I have just had more than one deer at 300yds that if you did not anchor in the sendero would become almost impossible to find. If I am limiting my choice to one rifle then the rifle has to do this. Most of the time I hunt with a much smaller gun.

Comment

If it had to be one rifle/caliber for everything I'd go with a 7 rem mag or a 300wm. Can reliably take down anything in NA (short for maybe a grizzly) and ammo can be bought anywhere. Ammo availability rules out the RUMs and oddball (weatherby, SAUM, etc. etc.) calibers. 30.06, 308, and 270 are a bit light for a moose, but could do the job. Wouldn't go with a 6.5 variety for both ammo availability and slightly small for larger animals, though they would do the job for the most part.

All that being said, I'd rather have 4 $1000 guns in various calibers than 1 $4000 gun in a "do it all" caliber. For hunting purposes, a $4000 gun can't do anything more than a $1000 can do. This is assuming you aren't a long range hunter who needs an extremely accurate gun.

Comment

243 for me

Comment

26 Nosler

Comment

Also curious what gun smith or shop you would buy from?

Comment

26 nosler gets my vote

Comment

280 Ackley

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I just got my total custom 6.5 creedmor back recently. I can kill everything in Texas. I started with a Remington 700 action.
                  The 6.5 outperforms the .308 beyond 1000yds
                  Last edited by JohnWayne86; 05-15-2017, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post

Me too [emoji106]

Comment

Really need to know what all you hunt. 223 ok for prairie dogs but brown bear kinda lacking.

Comment

weatherby 7mag

Comment

The .280 Rem that APR built for me.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I was not intending to start a which is the best cartridge debate haha. I was more interested in what custom rifles people have experience with and if u had to choose one, what would you buy? Mcwhorter, Gunwerks, Horizons, APR, WTO, etc...

Comment

From what I've seen WTO and APR shoot with the best of them without raping your pocketbook. Some of the others are just ridiculously priced

WTO is gonna be building mine

Comment

Working...
                                X