No announcement yet.

Edwards/Real Counties Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axis on our place love a plain old white salt block. Hogs rarely touch it too, which is a huge bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
      Axis on our place love a plain old white salt block. Hogs rarely touch it too, which is a huge bonus.

Have you tried the trace mineral block? I did some reading a while back and my understanding is that they all taste like salt, and are therefore palatable to the deer, but that the trace mineral block also provides essential minerals. My deer hit mine really hard during the antler growing season.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
        Have you tried the trace mineral block? I did some reading a while back and my understanding is that they all taste like salt, and are therefore palatable to the deer, but that the trace mineral block also provides essential minerals. My deer hit mine really hard during the antler growing season.
        I don't know if I've tried the one you're talking about. I've tried a few different blocks. Most of the mineral blocks I've tried didn't get much attention. The one that looks like a rock (can't remember the name) they loved just as much as a salt block.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
          I don't know if I've tried the one you're talking about. I've tried a few different blocks. Most of the mineral blocks I've tried didn't get much attention. The one that looks like a rock (can't remember the name) they loved just as much as a salt block.
          I think the one that looks like a rock sounds like the Trophy Rock. Its a trace mineral block marketed to hunters. Feed stores have a 50lb version that looks like a red salt block for about the price of a plain salt block. Might be worth a look.

Comment

What don’t you like about the protein blocks?
            I was referring to the blocks like the Big & J Long Range Attractant block that is ground up feed compressed into a block. They get destroyed in the rain, pigs like them, and I'd rather through out corn and/or protein on a consistent basis as opposed to with a block. If you're looking for another attractant, it's worth exploring, but I think there is more benefit in a deer eating pellets than working on that block.
            The red, 50lb trace mineral blocks are what I prefer.

Shane, I think you're talking about 'Trophy Rock'.

Comment

Sika Doe kill from the other weekend. Make sure you watch in the highest quality (4K).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWbAFz_Qpbs"]Texas Sika Deer Hunting | Hunting Sika Deer in the Texas Hill Country - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Pretty cool.

Comment

I think the one that looks like a rock sounds like the Trophy Rock. Its a trace mineral block marketed to hunters. Feed stores have a 50lb version that looks like a red salt block for about the price of a plain salt block. Might be worth a look.
                  Trophy Rock is it. Overpriced for sure, but they do like it. I'll check into the one at the feed store. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                    Sika Doe kill from the other weekend. Make sure you watch in the highest quality (4K).

Texas Sika Deer Hunting | Hunting Sika Deer in the Texas Hill Country - YouTube
                    Dumped her right by the road. Nice.

Comment

Edwards/Real Counties Hunting Thread

Feed stores have a 50lb version that looks like a red salt block for about the price of a plain salt block. Might be worth a look.

Yep that’s what I’m talking about right there.

Found a pic on my phone with one. I like to put them on stumps if possible, with the thought the wood conveniently soaks up the minerals when it rains. No idea if it matters, dirt does the same.

Another pic. Aoudad working on one.
                      Last edited by Patton; 10-29-2019, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Aoudad love it for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Got this guy this morning. He’s a pretty good one for our lease.

Comment

One our guys got this nice mouflan this morning.

Comment

Animals have been moving and hitting feeders hard. It was a good weekend for us. We saw a lot of whitetails and axis plus the two above. Anyone else hunt this weekend?

Comment

Animals have been moving and hitting feeders hard. It was a good weekend for us. We saw a lot of whitetails and axis plus the two above. Anyone else hunt this weekend?

We had a great weekend, no shooter type bucks but saw a ton of deer. More fawns and yearlings than ihave ever seen. Plus the weather was awesome and that just makes everything better!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X