No announcement yet.

My friend just took off for Everest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All the bodies are really high, like above 25 K. You don’t see those going to base camp. They think the Green Boots person was a male climber from India. The valley with all the memorials was very moving. I saw the one of the young man from Dallas.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
        My daddy told me not to get any lower than diggin taters and no higher than pickin corn
        Words to live by...
        Originally posted by Chunky View Post
        Cool pics Mark!!

Comment

If anyone decides to adventure in that part of the world. I would be happy to give contacts and advice.

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
            That stuff is no joke. My brother did McKinley a few years back, and 1 guy in his party lost a couple of fingers to frostbite. A few weeks later, a Japanese expedition was completely wiped out by an avalanche in a route everyone takes.

Even if you're the absolute best climber on Planet Earth, there is still a huge amount of risk you simply cannot manage. The mortality rate on world-class climbers is incredibly high.

But hats off to those that have that as a life goal and actually do it. Not for me.
            My observation is McKinley/Danali is a much harder climb than Everest because you have to pack your own stuff. By the time you've summited you've climbed it three times. Neither appear to be technically difficult. I looked at both very seriously but as I have gotten older I've started getting wonky at elevation so I will limit to 14ers, assuming I get back in shape.

Hope your friend had a good experience.

Comment

I'm glad people take pictures because I really like looking at them but even if I could I wouldn't. Screw that.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                My observation is McKinley/Danali is a much harder climb than Everest because you have to pack your own stuff. By the time you've summited you've climbed it three times. Neither appear to be technically difficult. I looked at both very seriously but as I have gotten older I've started getting wonky at elevation so I will limit to 14ers, assuming I get back in shape.

Hope your friend had a good experience.

I’ve read K2 is one of, if not the hardest and has one of the highest death rates. Not sure about success rate. Especially the route that takes you through a bottleneck by a serac.

But that’s not from personal expense at all haha. Just from reading. Looks like Annapurna I also has a pretty bad death rate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X