Meateater episode 115. The Judas hog.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meateater episode 115. The Judas hog.

I’m sure some of y’all have listened to it. Good discussion on wild pigs from a feds point of view. The idea of regulating hunting because it’s not a viable control source and possibly aids in distribution is interesting.

-------------------------------
    Violence never settles anything
    -Genghis Kahn

Missouri has an anti hunting set up for pigs. Saying it splits sounders and causes pigs to migrate. Seems ignorant to me but I've been wrong before.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s interesting that pigs are moving into North Dakota from Canada. Who woulda thunk.

-Genghis Kahn

Comment

Same episode makes me want to kill more squirrels. They are good eating.

On the subject of pigs. It makes me wonder about the “underworld” transfer of live wild hogs in Texas. We all know it happens. Just to sell more hunts.

-Genghis Kahn

Comment

And as a disclaimer. I have no problem with any form of pig hunting. Stab them, shoot them, run them down with dogs and wrestle them naked, whatever. Selling your sport as a form of control is futile so stop. They are part of the landscape. But I’m all for buying a hunting license and going to town. 365, 24 hrs a day.

-Genghis Kahn

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
            And as a disclaimer. I have no problem with any form of pig hunting. Stab them, shoot them, run them down with dogs and wrestle them naked, whatever. Selling your sport as a form of control is futile so stop. They are part of the landscape. But I’m all for buying a hunting license and going to town. 365, 24 hrs a day.

-Genghis Kahn
            Sounds like an interesting topic and discussion. I need to get caught up and listen to the episodes. Last one I heard was like episode 106...

I have seen the wild hog population grow steadily in a national park area. While hunting wild hogs is allowed, it is limited to specific, pre determined areas. Unfortunately, the hunting areas are not necessarily where the hogs live. I have on several occasions mentioned to park personal that hunting for wild hogs should be open in addional areas of the park in order to help control population. Their reply has always been that hunting is not the answer to controlling wild hog population I just wish they would let me and others do our part, have some fun flinging some arrows and the park could collect Increased revenues in the way of additional permits.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
              It’s interesting that pigs are moving into North Dakota from Canada. Who woulda thunk.

-Genghis Kahn

Not sure I believe that part of it... it’s awful cold in Nodak!

Comment

Finally got around to listening to the episode... Defenitly interesting when it comes to the hog hunting narrative...

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
                    Not sure I believe that part of it... it’s awful cold in Nodak!
                    It's awful cold in Canado too eh, but they have pigs.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                      Sounds like an interesting topic and discussion. I need to get caught up and listen to the episodes. Last one I heard was like episode 106...

I have seen the wild hog population grow steadily in a national park area. While hunting wild hogs is allowed, it is limited to specific, pre determined areas. Unfortunately, the hunting areas are not necessarily where the hogs live. I have on several occasions mentioned to park personal that hunting for wild hogs should be open in addional areas of the park in order to help control population. Their reply has always been that hunting is not the answer to controlling wild hog population I just wish they would let me and others do our part, have some fun flinging some arrows and the park could collect Increased revenues in the way of additional permits.
                      It must be different in your neck of the woods. In the SHNF, pigs are pretty much in any river bottom, all of which are hunt-able, day or night.

Comment

It’s awful cold in Russia...
                        I think they have boars as well

Comment

Just finished. Thoughts:

*He's talking out of his azz when he says the reason hogs are heavily reported on public land is because people are driving them in on the backs of trucks. There is no reporting requirement in Missouri for private land, and THAT is much more likely the reason for the discrepancy.

*I agree with what he said about sport hunting being inadequate. All these instagram crop protection commandos are just dudes who like to hunt hogs (present company included). Trapping is absolutely more effective than hunting.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                              It must be different in your neck of the woods. In the SHNF, pigs are pretty much in any river bottom, all of which are hunt-able, day or night.
                              You might want to double check the regs about your "night" statement.

Comment

Working...
                              X