• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Humm.......interesting. ........

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
      My issue is like usual. I don't care what people do as long as they're responsible for their own actions. Yes, this flood set records etc. And nothing would have prevented massive flooding to homes out of the flood zone.

When billions of taxpayer dollars go to rebuild it should be rebuilt right. People in flood zones should be required to have flood insurance..period. We should not wait for the next one (in any State or City) and then just give billions more.
      I'm not saying people should not help. But people in the freaking flood zone known they will get flooded sooner or later. So why should taxpayers foot the bill? And if you say I'm heartless I will be sure and contact you when my river home floods. But I'm sure if it's not a massive media frenzy flood no one will care and I'll be told I should of had flood insurance.

"“What’s likely to happen is we’re going to spend tens of billions of dollars rebuilding Houston exactly like it is now, and then wait for the next one,” says Rob Moore, a senior policy analyst on water issues for the Natural Resources Defense Council."

Comment

Originally posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
        I think you will see a "soft moratorium" via lack of insurable areas in the future. If folks cannot get insurance on their homes and businesses, they will relocate. I have a feeling, many of these neighborhoods will be dozed and rebuilding there will be prohibited. The insurance lobby is a stout one.
        Jersey Village already does this.
        If your property lies in the100yr flood plain you can't remodel your house more than 50% of its value unless you raise the structure mire than 18 inches above the flood line
        This is basically impossible without costing more than the house us worth so most either do total tear down and rebuild above the flood line or they don't deal with the house all together.

This policy went into place so FEMA won't make their entire neighborhood uninsurable

The city govt is hurting a few (that live along Senate and Jersey) to save the many.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
          Putting this here to not distract from the Harvey threads intended for immediate relief.

I think the Governor needs to enact an executive order placing a moratorium on development around the metro area until a proper run off assessment is completed and a plan in place.

I had no idea how many communities in the last decade have been created along river valleys with small levies to protect but cant. We have a drainage problem here in this metro. Its reached critical mass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what you're dying is you want MORE govt entrusion in our lives dictating what we can do with our properties
          And then you want to bring the EPA into this because they are the ones that spearhead those environmental assessments

Hmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
            So what you're dying is you want MORE govt entrusion in our lives dictating what we can do with our properties
            And then you want to bring the EPA into this because they are the ones that spearhead those environmental assessments

Hmmmmm
            What I want to see is personal responsibility, if you build or buy property in a floodplain then you personally accept the responsibility for those actions. In other words... you flood, it's on your nickel... No government bailout..

Javi

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Javi Cooper View Post
              What I want to see is personal responsibility, if you build or buy property in a floodplain then you personally accept the responsibility for those actions. In other words... you flood, it's on your nickel... No government bailout..

Javi
              That's way to hard for some to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                That's way to hard for some to understand.
                Life is a PASS or FAIL TEST

Javi

Comment

Javi
                  I hate wearing seatbelts
                  They get my shirt wrinkled
                  Why does the govt force me to pay extra money installing them in my car and making me wear them getting my shirt wrinkled

I've never been in an accident in 30+years of driving so I'll like to take my chances of not flying thru the windshield in case of an accident
                  But if I do go through the windshield then so be it

That'll just be my time to go

Too much govt intrusion

Comment

I hate wearing seatbelts
                    Why does the govt force me to pay extra money installing them in my car and making me wear them getting my shirt wrinkled

I've never been in an accident in 30+years of driving so I'll like to take my chances of not flying thru the windshield in case of an accident

Too much govt intrusion
                    You're correct, but the government forces us to do things like wear seatbelts because a large percentage of the population will not accept personal responsibility for their own actions...

Javi

Comment

You're correct, but the government forces us to do things like wear seatbelts because a large percentage of the population will not accept personal responsibility for their own actions...

Javi
                      Same for flood insurance

What should have happened is the mortgage company (or the fed govt if FHA/GI loan) should require flood insurance in these areas

Have the market police itself

But that would be a perfect world

Who cares about the money when over 50 have lost their lives and tens of thousands lost their homes

Comment

Same for flood insurance

What should have happened is the mortgage company (or the fed govt if FHA/GI loan) should require flood insurance in these areas

Have the market police itself

But that would be a perfect world

Who cares about the money when over 50 have lost their lives and tens of thousands lost their homes
                        The people who will flock to the affected area to get rich off the misery and charity of others... That's who will care about the money...

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
                          Putting this here to not distract from the Harvey threads intended for immediate relief.

I think the Governor needs to enact an executive order placing a moratorium on development around the metro area until a proper run off assessment is completed and a plan in place.

I had no idea how many communities in the last decade have been created along river valleys with small levies to protect but cant. We have a drainage problem here in this metro. Its reached critical mass.

Did your account get hacked? You want the government to dictate where and where not a private citizen can live? Centralized planning much, komrad? Not very Libertarian of you JSweet.

You are having a knee jerk reaction to a once in a millennium event. Don't over-correct, you will roll the thing

Comment

The computed elevation to which floodwater is anticipated to rise during the base flood. Base Flood Elevations (BFEs) are shown on Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) and on the flood profiles.

The BFE is the regulatory requirement for the elevation or floodproofing of structures. The relationship between the BFE and a structure's elevation determines the flood insurance premium.

The elevation of surface water resulting from a flood that has a 1% chance of equaling or exceeding that level in any given year. The BFE is shown on the Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) for zones AE, AH, A1–A30, AR, AR/A, AR/AE, AR/A1– A30, AR/AH, AR/AO, V1–V30 and VE.

Is this not already happening?

The issue with Harvey is that yes flood plain areas flooded, like the have in the past, Meyerland, Greenspoint, Bellaire, Brazon River Basin. But this time the reservoirs filled and flooded Buffalo Bayou, so lots of areas not in the floodplain (as defined by the Feds) flooded this time. Most of them are expensive properties, not in the floodplain, therefore people didn't have flood insurance.

The government is already in the flood and insurance business. That is one of the many issues. They told people if their house would flood or not flood based on BFE. And they flat our pooped the bed on their predictions.

Regarding insurance, there is a lot of fine print in their policies. I am no expert but I understand that Harvey caused damage through flooding. So if you had hurricane or wind insurance you are SOL, because the insurance companies are defining Hurricane Harvey as a flood.

Comment

I hate wearing seatbelts

Too much govt intrusion
                              The problem with your anology is that if you are involved in a wreck a seatbelt can help you remain in the driver seat and thus possibly maintain control of the vehicle. In the event you lost control of your vehicle because you weren't able to stay in your seat and then hit someone head on then your actions or lack thereof endangered or even potentially killed someone.
                              Driving isn't a right its a privelage.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Irresponsible Development

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                                Did your account get hacked? You want the government to dictate where and where not a private citizen can live? Centralized planning much, komrad? Not very Libertarian of you JSweet.

You are having a knee jerk reaction to a once in a millennium event. Don't over-correct, you will roll the thing

Libertarianism is not Anarchism.

Should we abolish the police and fire departments? How about laws against fraud, rape murder?

All im saying is stop corrupt county officials from putting people in danger by signing off on negligent development plans for a quick buck.

Last edited by Ætheling; 09-05-2017, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X