Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
    Looks solid so far.

I'd put another two latch pins on that top back door just for assurance. If they sense a weak place, they may work it over while your not there (corners). But that's just me too.

I'm looking forward to seeing your trapdoor spring and how your gonna rig it up.
    I second the need to add latch pins on the door....top,,bottom and middle....can't be too strong.

Comment

Put the trap to work this last week. Caught the black one Wednesday night and then the other was caught Saturday night.
      Attached Files

Comment

Nice

Comment

Now I'm gonna have to haul mine to my welder buddy's shop and have a rear door installed. It is a bear to get 3 140-150lb hogs out of the trap thru the entry door, especially when two of them are piled up against the door. Doesn't seem to matter where they are in the trap when I pop them, they inevitably end up against the door.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
            Looks solid so far.

I'd put another two latch pins on that top back door just for assurance. If they sense a weak place, they may work it over while your not there (corners). But that's just me too.

I'm looking forward to seeing your trapdoor spring and how your gonna rig it up.
            This. Looks solid. Good job.

Comment

I'm stealing the rear door idea.

Comment

Nice work bud!

Comment

I like the extraction door too. Dustoffer and I are trapping the same pigs!

Comment

Nice job! I had an old timer tell me that if hogs are shot in the trap then it will deter pigs from coming back into it once its reset. Do you know any truth to that?

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                      Nice job! I had an old timer tell me that if hogs are shot in the trap then it will deter pigs from coming back into it once its reset. Do you know any truth to that?
                      I caught the first pig Wednesday night. The 2nd was caught in the same trap on Saturday night and there was still a fair amount of blood from the first. I think it depends on the individual pig/herd on whether or not it bothers them.

Comment

Maybe for a day or so. Blood doesn't seem to bother them IMO.

The dark spot on the ground you can see between the feeder legs is blood from a boar I killed.

Here's the same view about 2 hours after I killed him--

Last edited by dustoffer; 03-21-2017, 09:29 AM.

Comment

I believe the ones that will avoid the trap are the ones that were in the same group and had to leave their caught buddy behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
                            I caught the first pig Wednesday night. The 2nd was caught in the same trap on Saturday night and there was still a fair amount of blood from the first. I think it depends on the individual pig/herd on whether or not it bothers them.
                            Thanks! I've always removed them live but it was only a couple at a time. I'm in the process of building a 20' dia circle trap and hopefully will catch the whole group at once. Was debating on just shooting them in the trap or trying to get them out live. I have a buyer that will take them alive if they are at least 80 lbs.

Comment

I have a 12 panel figure '6' trap right now that is probably going away. It has been nothing but a headache. Between trigger issues and cows it has been tough. I caught 4 cows last week and no pigs in the figure 6. The 1st single, I wired the gate open and she went out without a hitch. The 2nd time it was a group of 3 that were a bit more wild. While I was trying to get the gate wired open, they decided they had enough and barreled through the fence destroying a panel in the process. The panel was bent all out of shape and a bunch of the welds were busted. I may attempt a guillotine style door for it once my frustration goes away, lol.

Comment

Thanks! I've always removed them live but it was only a couple at a time. I'm in the process of building a 20' dia circle trap and hopefully will catch the whole group at once. Was debating on just shooting them in the trap or trying to get them out live. I have a buyer that will take them alive if they are at least 80 lbs.
                                If you have a buyer, sell the ones +80lbs. And keep the rest in a holding pen. Feed them out till they get big enough to sell. If you don't live where you can feed them, there are timed feeders you can buy just like timed deer feeders. I got one for my dog while I'm away sometimes. Just make sure they got water too.

Comment

Working...
                                X