No announcement yet.

GMC 6.2L half ton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My father has a 2014 chevy 1500 Z71 with the 6.2. He's been very happy with the truck and the motor. It's got a lot of balls, and gets around 15 city and 17 highway with a ranch hand replacement bumper, leveling kit, and 33's.

I would never buy an ecoboost. It seems like Ford changes that motor every couple of years.

Comment

I went from a Ford 6.7 F250 to a 2016 Chevy 6.2L 1/2 ton. I love the truck and motor. I have pulled my travel trailer from my home to Cotulla and it pulled well, but only got 8.3 mpg. When I pull my ranger down there I get right around 10. With the ranger you don't even know it is there. If you are going to be pulling a heavy travel trailer around much I would put bags on it. Makes the pull way better. Oh empty I get 17.8 mpg.

Comment

A turbo is great, but it is spinning at 30K+ rpms. The more boost the turbo is applying, the higher the exhaust gas temps rise. Relying TOO much on a turbo for power will led to failures. When pulling heavy loads, the turbo on a smaller motor will be spooled up a majority of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          You're a GM fanboy and that's ok. I posted that up for reference only. There's plenty of other info out there comparing them if you'd take the time to get your head out of GMs butt long enough to look yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wow,You definitely don't know me so stop with the childish name calling please sir!
          Don't bother yourself you'll be on my ignore list anyway. [emoji12]

Sorry OP for the pointless banter over pointless things with no value to your thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by KingsX View Post
            Wow,You definitely don't know me so stop with the childish name calling please sir!
            Don't bother yourself you'll be on my ignore list anyway. [emoji12]

Sorry OP for the pointless banter over pointless things with no value to your thread.

Ooooo don't ignore him! The horror!!

I might not have said the butt comment but you are clearly a fanboy. So you like Chevys, so what. Nothing to be sensitive about.....or is it???? Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

GMC 6.2L half ton

All I know is the 2010 6.2 that I bought new will pull very well. I had a 2001 duramax and the 6.2 holds its own on the road pulling a trailer against that older Duramax. I have a 2500 ford that I work out of and it won't even come close to the 6.2 but it's a 2006 with 120,000 miles on it now. The newer model 6.2's are most likely better than my 2010 but the mpg's people are posting up are the same that I'm still getting on the 2010 at 58,000 miles. I'm sure the ecoboost v6 is a good truck and depending on what you will be pulling and how often is the key on what I would buy. I've always had it in my head that a good V8 will outlast a v6 anyday but maybe things have changed idk??? Never thought a v6 would be in the discussion of towing with a v8 so that in itself is impressive from Ford. Like others have said it seems the ecoboost has had its issues and several motor changes since the beginning so I would research that a lot before buying. I've burned a truck to the ground "literally" because of electrical issues before and it just so happened to be a 2006 Ford F-150 at the time. I really don't have anything good to add in a true comparison but I trust what Txwhitetail has said because he tows a lot and I know him personally. That's all you can really do is take what you've read here or friends and their personal experiences with the trucks in question and make a decision. As you know or may have read on my previous posts I don't like stat sheets. Lol.

Last edited by KingsX; 03-20-2017, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                Ooooo don't ignore him! The horror!!

I might not have said the butt comment but you are clearly a fanboy. So you like Chevys, so what. Nothing to be sensitive about.....or is it???? Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Lol@the nothing to be sensitive about.....or is it. Made me smile. [emoji106]
                I own Toyota and Chevy and considering a RanchKing f-250 powerstoke in the future so NO I'm not.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsX View Post
                  All I know is the 2010 6.2 that I bought new will pull very well. I had a 2001 duramax and the 6.2 holds its own on the road pulling a trailer against that older Duramax. I have a 2500 ford that I work out of and it won't even come close to the 6.2 but it's a 2006 with 120,000 miles on it now. The newer model 6.2's are most likely better than my 2010 but the mpg's people are posting up are the same that I'm still getting on the 2010 at 58,000 miles. I'm sure the ecoboost v6 is a good truck and depending on what you will be pulling and how often is the key on what I would buy. I've always had it in my head that a good V8 will outlast a v6 anyday but maybe things have changed idk??? Never thought a v6 would be in the discussion of towing with a v8 so that in itself is impressive from Ford. Like others have said it seems the ecoboost has had its issues and several motor changes since the beginning so I would research that a lot before buying. I've burned a truck to the ground "literally" because of electrical issues before and it just so happened to be a 2006 Ford F-150 at the time. I really don't have anything good to add in a true comparison but I trust what Txwhitetail has said because he tows a lot and I know him personally. That's all you can really do is take what you've read here or friends and their personal experiences with the trucks in question and make a decision. As you know or may have read on my previous posts I don't like stat sheets. Lol.

That's all I was trying to say. Technology is changing all the time. Turbocharged vehicles are nothing new. There are billions of miles logged pulling heavy loads with turbo charged engines. Yes they are diesel and in a different class but my point was there is no reason to be afraid of turbocharged engine. The reality is it's all hooked to the same weight under the same conditions there won't be a noticeable bit of difference between any of them. So it really all those balls down to personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

A thread about towing and half tons.... cute.

Comment

Originally posted by firemanjj82 View Post
                      Change that "V" to an "I", and it probably would. I've missed Ford's 300ci I6 engine from the 90's. It's what I grew up around, and those little half tons would haul some weight. I couldn't imagine one with a turbo system as well.
                      That is my favorite motor of all time! I have owned 2 and want another one.

btw, there are a few people that have slapped a turbo on them. From what I remember, there is a video of one on the dyno running 8 psi of boost (low pressure) and it put down a little over 200 hp and a little over 400 ft lbs to the wheels! Peak torque was at about 2k rpm too! Then there is stupid boost. Another guy posted a dyno sheet of his turbo 300 inline 6 running 18 psi. If I remember right, his was putting down a little over 300 hp with around 550 ft lbs of torque! Man I love that old motor!

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                        A turbo is great, but it is spinning at 30K+ rpms. The more boost the turbo is applying, the higher the exhaust gas temps rise. Relying TOO much on a turbo for power will led to failures. When pulling heavy loads, the turbo on a smaller motor will be spooled up a majority of the time.

A turbo might be spinning at 30k rpms while you are not in boost. A typical gas motor small size turbo is going to spin around 100k to 150k rpm while at full tilt boogie.

A friend of mine a few years ago owned a 1991 300ZX Twin Turbo. It was modified and was making just north of 400 hp to the wheels (that's about 450 hp at the crank). He raced the car a lot at track day events so it was pushed hard for long periods of time (not like at a drag strip where you are only on it hard for a few seconds). The last I had heard about it, the car had 240k miles on it with the stock motor and stock turbochargers. I would say that's pretty reliable for a highly stressed turbo motor.

But, turbo motors a dependent on good maintenance. You can neglect a typical V8 and it'll keep going. Neglect a turbo motor and it will not last long.

Comment

All I know is the (I assume) turbo on my work ecoboost this summer started to make a really nasty sound when you got on it on the interstate (a good amount of my driving) 104k miles on a 14. Never pulled that I know of, and I never pulled with it so can't chime in there. Without knowing what the sound was it made me nervous, but might have been nothing.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            And the 3.5 still won't pull like the 6.2, and it won't last as long...I don't care what the charts and tables and papers say.

This^^^^

Comment

Working...
                            X