Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got time to read through this. So where do I start if my point has to be left or right from the center line to hit dead on? Do I need to start over with my arrows and change lengths to get them to be "point on". I"m not doing bad instinctive but I'm just not confident enough to hunt. I'm hoping gap shooting will push me over the edge but I don't want to ruin a dozen arrows trying to figure it out. Any advice?

Comment

This has been some great discussion for a newbie...thanks.

Comment

Another new guy here. This is how I've been shooting for years, I just was never able to explain it the way you have.
        Have not shot much the past 1 1/2 years due to torn rotor cuff and surgery but getting stronger and have started shooting again.
        I love this forum!

Comment

When I was shooting trad at the 4H shoots in junior high and high school, this was the method I used, never though about using a box, I just used trial and error, had all three of the distance memorized. It is a really effective method of shooting and I took to it well, if I ever get back into shooting with trad gear this will be the method I use.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Im just getting into this and can already see where this will help me!

Comment

I am going to have to make a pattern and go try this out. anything to help "zero" in a little better.

Comment

Great info I need all the pointers I can get.

Comment

I shoot a recurve and also use the gap. All I would add is if you use field tips in practice but do hunt with your traditional bow do yourself a favor and make sure your broad heads are all mounted ,glued or screwed on the exact same . It makes gap shooting alot more easy. Because you can actually see the "end of the projectile" the exact same angle,and see the exact same length. If some are verticle and some are horizontal I started hitting high on some and low on others. I wish I had a pic becaus Im no good at putting in words what Im trying to say. Im sure its a rookie thing that most wont make the mistake I did. Hope I helped someone.

Comment

Eager to give this a try and see if it helps.

Comment

Going to give this a good try. From instinctive, split finger to gap 3 under should be challenging but if it improves my consistency it will be well worth it.

Comment

I've been shooting a longbow for about a year now. I started split finger, then after some lessons, went to 3 under to shorten my gap. I am having a very difficult time actually pointing the arrow on the correct gap. I don't know if it's a target panic problem or inability to "aim" correctly.

One problem is that I try to draw my bow high or level with the gap for my range, but inevitably when I reach full draw, I am "aiming" low and have to try and raise my bow hand to set the gap.

Any ideas?

Comment

It may be the bow and it will be some thing you will have to get used to. Different bows tend to come to target better for different people. It is the thing I like best about my Pronghorn, I come up and it is where it needs to be.

Comment

That's a good point, and this is the only longbow I've ever shot and the only time I've shot a recurve was 30 years ago as a kid.

I was wondering whether I should lean back at the waist slightly to correct the aim vs. trying to raise my bow arm- perhaps that would be better form?

I'll try to get in for some more instruction soon.

Thanks for all the help and info on this thread!

Comment

I'm going to throw my story in here.

When I started shooting trad, I instinctively employed gap shooting principles. No one really taught me, it just made sense. It's how my brain works. Now, I didn't get all fancy with measuring how much to "hold under" to be spot on. Instead, by trial and error, I'd figure it out in my brain what the "site picture" should look like given how far away I seemed to be. Given my lack of depth preception due to a birth defect with my vision, I was always forced to guesstimate distance (or use my range finder.)

Then, I started reading about instinctive shooting and the need to focus on a spot on just hit. Well, I tried this for a long time, but I just couldn't get nearly the accuracy I had with how I started. I had degraded. But like learning anything new, I had to give it time. It wasn't until very recently that I determined that I just wasn't comfortable with just focusing on one spot; but rather I needed to see the whole picture as a painting. When I do that, my brain actually relaxes and my accuracy goes way up.

So, I guess you can say, I shoot gap, instinctively

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                                I'm going to throw my story in here.

When I started shooting trad, I instinctively employed gap shooting principles. No one really taught me, it just made sense. It's how my brain works. Now, I didn't get all fancy with measuring how much to "hold under" to be spot on. Instead, by trial and error, I'd figure it out in my brain what the "site picture" should look like given how far away I seemed to be. Given my lack of depth preception due to a birth defect with my vision, I was always forced to guesstimate distance (or use my range finder.)

Then, I started reading about instinctive shooting and the need to focus on a spot on just hit. Well, I tried this for a long time, but I just couldn't get nearly the accuracy I had with how I started. I had degraded. But like learning anything new, I had to give it time. It wasn't until very recently that I determined that I just wasn't comfortable with just focusing on one spot; but rather I needed to see the whole picture as a painting. When I do that, my brain actually relaxes and my accuracy goes way up.

So, I guess you can say, I shoot gap, instinctively
                                I can say I'm a gap-instinctive shooter as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X