Do you really need a stabilizer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you really need a stabilizer?

I purchased a new bow before Christmas because my limbs broke on my bear during hunting season. I upgraded to a Mathews ChillR. I purchased this bow at cinnamon creek archery off I35. They set me up with a stockerized stabilizer!
    To me it makes the bow heavy. Today I shot my bow when I got home and I decided to not install my stabilizer. It actually felt 100x better imo without it.

Do I really need to have a stabilizer if it feels better without?

No you don't need one.

Comment

I took mine off few years ago, shoots just fine with out it, its a bowtech assassin weighs little over 4 pounds ready to shoot with no quiver on it.

Comment

Shot my mathews legacy for many years without a stabilizer.

Comment

Never shot without one but I kno I shoot a lot better with a long one.

Comment

All depends. I tried both ways with many different stabilizer combos and none at all and found a combo that made mine feel better, but it is not a heavy set up either.

Comment

Nope.

You don't need a sling either.

I hunt (and kill) regularly without either.
              I haven't used a sling in at least 5 years.
              I remember to screw in my stabilizer about 50% of the time.

Comment

Good!!!!!

It's amazing how much better I am without it on my bow.
                I know it's there to add weight to the front of the bow to stabilize the bows weight
                However I shoot much better with out it

Comment

Everyone is different, even the same bows shoots differently from one person to the next.

Do what works for you. On my hunting rig I like a 12" stab with about 4 oz of weight. My field rig needs a longer stab and a little less weight, but I'm shooting 90 meters with that bow.

So for me, a stab is necessary.

So is a sling. I shoot with curled fingers to the side of the grip. If I don't have my sling on the bow hits the ground.

It's up to you, there is no right or wrong, yes or no, blanket answer.

Comment

The chill r has an added weight in the bottom of the riser so a stabilizer isn't absolutely needed

Comment

Originally posted by BowTech2010 View Post
                      The chill r has an added weight in the bottom of the riser so a stabilizer isn't absolutely needed
                      Thanks for that info

Comment

I don't use one.

Comment

A true stabilizer is perimeter weighted, ie, the weight is mainly on the outside of the stabilizer, away from the riser. This set up actually will slow pin movement and make it a little less pronounced. most of the "stabilizers" out today are not perimeter weighted and are more for reducing noise and vibration instead of actual stabilization. Most are designed around looks rather than a true stabilizing benefit. Having said all of that, I had a 6" stabilizer on my ChillR year before last and skipped it on my HTR this year. For hunting at short yardage, I don't think the added weight makes up for the little stabilization you get. On my Tournament rigs, I run 26"-30" front rods and a 12" sidebar with about a pound and a half total end weight. This really slows down pin movement and makes it easier to make aiming corrections due to the mass weight of the bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackedup View Post
                            A true stabilizer is perimeter weighted, ie, the weight is mainly on the outside of the stabilizer, away from the riser. This set up actually will slow pin movement and make it a little less pronounced. most of the "stabilizers" out today are not perimeter weighted and are more for reducing noise and vibration instead of actual stabilization. Most are designed around looks rather than a true stabilizing benefit. Having said all of that, I had a 6" stabilizer on my ChillR year before last and skipped it on my HTR this year. For hunting at short yardage, I don't think the added weight makes up for the little stabilization you get. On my Tournament rigs, I run 26"-30" front rods and a 12" sidebar with about a pound and a half total end weight. This really slows down pin movement and makes it easier to make aiming corrections due to the mass weight of the bow.

Yep!

Comment

Originally posted by Quackedup View Post
                              While true for the most part, my hunting stab is 11" carbon rod with 8oz stainless weights on the end and for the fun of it I pulled it off and shot without it and my pin movement actually slowed without compared to with it. Maybe some bows just balance better than others? I had never tried it but it was very noticeable at 50+yds

Comment

Working...
                              X