No announcement yet.

Never killed a big deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll have to get the cams back out there. Seems like all the information online (other than here) and in magazines is for midwest deer with tall trees and green all the time doesn't apply here...unless i am missing something

Comment

Originally posted by tward1604 View Post
      I'll have to get the cams back out there. Seems like all the information online (other than here) and in magazines is for midwest deer with tall trees and green all the time doesn't apply here...unless i am missing something
      I will give you every bit of knowledge I have about hunting that area. I was on a lease for two years just North of Rule that bordered the Brazos. How many acres are you on with how many people and also how much wheat do you have available to hunt?

Comment

First, Use hand corn and a bunch of cameras. This will help you locate where the deer are normally traveling.

I'm not sure about your area, but where I hunt in east texas you need to locate the deer first and hunt that area rather than throw up a feeder and try to attract them to you.

My best spot right now actually has a feeder hanging from a limb, but other feeders 500 yards away will have no deer activity. It's because that spot I'm hunting I hunt it because it's a heavily used traffic area and I just put a feeder up off to the side of it. So the deer are already coming through now they just stop and come through more often.

Try to get away from the feeder hunting and get more on their trails coming and going to the feeder and you'll catch him slip up once coming by. Hand corn and trails work best.

Comment

I have killed mature deer, big deer and big mature deer...just their head gear is lacking, so to speak.

Comment

No you are right. Midwest and STx boys have a gross amount of trophy/big deer therefore their info prevails.

Comment

Originally posted by TTU TX Hunter View Post
              I will give you every bit of knowledge I have about hunting that area. I was on a lease for two years just North of Rule that bordered the Brazos. How many acres are you on with how many people and also how much wheat do you have available to hunt?
              Just under 300. To the West is is DD Whitetails and Outfitters massive high fenced operation. And east is town. If anything is moving north or south they pretty much have to cross our place. No wheat. we have cotton on the west pasture and hay on the east. Mesquite through the strip in the middle and almost always water.
              Attached Files

Comment

They do crops on the field to the north east some times. I've seen corn in it once.

Comment

Biggest with a bow... 115" 8pt

Biggest ever 142" 10pt with a rifle while I was 37 weeks pregnant...

Comment

Originally posted by nursejenn View Post
                    Biggest with a bow... 115" 8pt

Biggest ever 142" 10pt with a rifle while I was 37 weeks pregnant...
                    Good thing it wasn't a high recoil rifle...might have had a sooner than expected hunting buddy!

Comment

My biggest buck todate is my avatar pic shot last year with my bow

Comment

Originally posted by texas shag View Post
                        as was mentioned above, you have to hunt in a place big deer live and are managed. a lot of small tracts with heavy hunting pressure is not a recipe to grow big deer either.
                        This. I hunt old mature bucks. They are extremely rare in those areas

Comment

Running a 140.5" avg on <300ac with double digits neighbors..with a few having stands & feeders right up against the fence and open fields to shoot across that butt up against the place. If "big" deer is the goal, you just can't go pulling the trigger to make your situation worse. There's no such thing as a cull, with age, that may be a sacrificial lamb that allows another deer to survive season. Does? Better try not to disperse them...ROI, as far as feed/plots in relation to # of deer shot - don't bother trying to figure that up. Last year, one bachelor group of 4 had dang near 500" of horn between 3 deer and a post mature, 150 in his prime 8pt, anchoring the group. Could've shot every single one of them as quality deer (for the area) at some point over the past few years (6yrs ago on the old one), but that's why you roll the dice to try to produce something special. 1 remains after last season....but that one could make everything worthwhile.

Comment

I have never killed a big one. My son has shot 1 deer ever, a public land buck bigger than anything I have ever taken.

I have shot a good number, but 90% of my deer hunting success is on a property where I am helping by taking cull deer. I shoot old does and 6 pt 3.5+ y/o trashy bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dandy123 View Post
                              I guess I'm spoiled hunting here in northern Missouri my whole life. Around my area if a deer makes it to three years old he's usually at 130 or more. But I've hunted in the Hill country around lampassas several times and I have seen maybe one buck that was close to 130. It doesn't make it any less fun to me though I just like deer hunting.
                              I will be hunting in Scotland county the week of Halloween, I've been the last 2 years and it's been crazy warm, hoping we get some cold weather this year.

Comment

Never killed a buck that scored over 120 ... have hit 2 that would have been wall hangers but lost them both. Haven't killed a buck since 2007 and hoping to break that this year in KS. To each his own on the antlers and score.

Comment

Working...
                                X