X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sikka deer in Nara

fish market

Comment

I was all over Japan in the late 90's. Kyoto has lots of temples and shrines, very colorful city. I learned right quick what type of restaurants for me to eat in. Hibachi style or Shabu -shabu style. I just aint fond of sushi or any type of raw seafood. I trained at the Pioneer speaker factory in Tendo, Japan and stayed at a local hotel for a few weeks. The hotel did not have "western" facilities and that was a learning curve as well.

I also found that the local beer joints was the place to learn from the locals on where to go and what to see off the beaten path. I had a good time over there and never once felt like I was in any type of bad atmosphere.

Comment

The basics of the language are easy to learn so start practicing. Like said above don’t waste time/money on a car. Their train system is super easy to navigate and around Tokyo you can walk/taxi/pedi cab

One big thing I learned is if food or drink is offered to you try it. Even if you don’t like it just try it. It’s an insult to refuse it, but if you try it and don’t like it it’s fine. You also done usually pour your own drink so be careful if you’re out with locals as they’ll keep topping off your glass

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
          The basics of the language are easy to learn so start practicing. Like said above don’t waste time/money on a car. Their train system is super easy to navigate and around Tokyo you can walk/taxi/pedi cab

One big thing I learned is if food or drink is offered to you try it. Even if you don’t like it just try it. It’s an insult to refuse it, but if you try it and don’t like it it’s fine. You also done usually pour your own drink so be careful if you’re out with locals as they’ll keep topping off your glass
          They can drink too. One of the bars I went to had big pickle jars above the bar I asked them what was in it and it was Ginseng Roots they were for good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post

Yep iv already planned to use he trains to move around other then walking, been learning basic communication phrases in Japanese as well. Food won’t be an issue I love Japanese food, raw sushi, and all the weird stuff lol

Comment

I've spent some time in Japan, on my employer's nickel. I'm not a fan of big cities, so would try to get out of Tokyo ASAP. Away from the big cities, it's a beautiful, mountainous country. Lots of good hiking and other things to see/do. I spent a lot of time in the Nagano area. Some of my favorite things around there were the Jigokudani Monkey Park (already mentioned), Matsumoto Castle, and Kurobe Dam. If you go to the monkey park, learn from my mistake and make sure you know how to get home. Like purchase your return bus ticket in advance, know where the bus stop is, etc.

It's good that you're learning some of the language before you go. In the big cities, there's a lot of English, but not so much out in the country. Knowing a few words and phrases helps. Also read a little about the culture. Things will make more sense if you have a basic understanding of Japanese culture. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by deerslayer94 View Post
                Well not a hunting related post but just curious to see some responses.
                I’ll be taking a trip to Japan in October, been wanting to go there since I was 14-15. I’m 24 now and finally am in the position to go! I’ll be over there for 8 days, going solo and just going to explore. I’ll be staying in the Tokyo area and taking a day trip to one of the western mountains. I already have a list of things I want to do and see but just curious if anybody on the green screen ever been? Anything a must see or a must do?
                I haven't been, my dad and brother have been 10 or 15 times each time for about 3 weeks (we do some business near Port Kobe). From what they say, great food and good people. Don't be surprised when you are not allowed into a lot of bars. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty for you to go to if you choose. But a lot of bars are Japanese only. Have a blast and chew the octopus thoroughly before swallowing it!

Comment

Originally posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
                  I haven't been, my dad and brother have been 10 or 15 times each time for about 3 weeks (we do some business near Port Kobe). From what they say, great food and good people. Don't be surprised when you are not allowed into a lot of bars. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty for you to go to if you choose. But a lot of bars are Japanese only. Have a blast and chew the octopus thoroughly before swallowing it!
                  I've never experienced this. Granted every time I've been there my customer has provided a chaperone the entire time so maybe they knew where to take us and where not to take us. BUT my customers did tell me that I would probably be denied entry to any onsen (Japanese hot spring bath) because of my tattoos...they apparently frown upon tattoos there b/c the Yakuza were known for having lots of tattoos.

Comment

Any of you guys get anything cool to bring back?

Comment

If you get a chance to wet a line, there are black bass in the 5 lakes around Mt. Fugi. The best one is lake kawaguchiko(sp). Caught a few there when I was stationed at Yokota AB back in the 80’s.

Comment

Watch the sun rise on the water.

Comment

Any of you guys get anything cool to bring back?
                          I brought back a nice sake set for my liquor cabinets.
                          Bought my son a Tanto sword.

Comment

Originally posted by COWDOG View Post
                            I brought back a nice sake set for my liquor cabinets.
                            Bought my son a Tanto sword.
                            How did you get the sword back?? I was wanting to get one for man cave decoration but accordingly to Japan’s laws with blades seems impossible for me to get one?

Comment

How did you get the sword back?? I was wanting to get one for man cave decoration but accordingly to Japan’s laws with blades seems impossible for me to get one?
                              I took an empty suitcase for souvenirs and checked it on my return.
                              Since I bought the smaller tanto I was able to get it in the suitcase.

Don’t quote me...but since the sword isn’t sharpened it’s technically not a “sword”???

When I checked it at airport they did inspect it. No problems. You will be fine.

I’m going back this spring and can’t wait.

Comment

For some reason I’m hearing Buck Owens...lol

Comment

Working...
                                X