Concrete smoker/grill help/tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concrete smoker/grill help/tips

I just poured the foundation for my concrete smoker/propane grill that I am building myself. Here is my plan. One question is, is the smoker pit too big? I'll mostly be smoking a 20 lb brisket or a turkey. Another question is should I make it 32" or 40" tall? Those numbers are due to the cinderblocks measuring 8" in height. I will be only lining the fire box with the firebrick. Any other tips would be appreciated.
    Attached Files

I dont have answers but in for the build. Been think about doing a large outdoor kitchen/ party area.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Here's the link to the patio I made. Going to start on the smoker/grill

Comment

Following

Comment

You and I have a lot of the same ideas. I want to build the patio like you did yours and I also want to build a smoker. Its gonna look great. I too was wondering on the specs for a smoker. I wanted to do a permanent build so I wanted to make sure it was done right the first time.

Comment

Cut the blocks and go close to 36". I wouldn't go any smaller on cooking chamber. You really should line the inside of the firebox and smoke chamber with ceramic refractory blanket and finish with steel. It will keep your temps very stable, cut down on wood consumption and keep your stone from cracking.

Comment

Any particular reason you’re going with 4” block instead of 8”?

You can cut the block down to whatever height you need.

I’d either fill the cores of the firebox block with concrete or vermiculite insulation to help retain the heat and keep the block from cracking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

With the suggestions in place,I'd also extend smoking area if possible and do a double or triple rack on smoker and build it up higher for extra racks. I started small, and wish I'd gone big from the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                  Cut the blocks and go close to 36". I wouldn't go any smaller on cooking chamber. You really should line the inside of the firebox and smoke chamber with ceramic refractory blanket and finish with steel. It will keep your temps very stable, cut down on wood consumption and keep your stone from cracking.
                  I was going to line the firebox with ceramic firebricks. Should I do the smokebox as well? I'm trying to avoid metal because it will eventually corrode like the metal fire boxes on regular smokers. Concrete will last longer.

Comment

Originally posted by SKLOSS View Post
                    Any particular reason you’re going with 4” block instead of 8”?

You can cut the block down to whatever height you need.

I’d either fill the cores of the firebox block with concrete or vermiculite insulation to help retain the heat and keep the block from cracking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Only reason I went with the 4" is to save space. Filling them up to retain heat is a good idea. Thanks!

Comment

My smoker pit is 20" wide and 28" deep. I've been able to smoke large briskets and turkey with no problem.

[IMG][/IMG]

I wanted my fire box to double as a wood burning grill. Good luck!
                      Last edited by twperdue; 03-11-2018, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Mine is 32 inches tall and seems to be a good height. Any taller and it would be hard to open the lids.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
                          Mine is 32 inches tall and seems to be a good height. Any taller and it would be hard to open the lids.
                          That's true about the height and lid. Thanks

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Working...
                              X