X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow that's amazing

Comment

Originally posted by El Viejo View Post
      I know what you mean about the Africanized bees living in close proximity to more docile hives. My son who lives in Orange Grove was removing two hives at my father's place north of Mission. The first bunch were in an old pop up camper. The only sting he got was from one he laid on inside the camper. That was one of the largest hives he's ever removed. The second bunch were in an old metal tractor fuel tank. They were about 50 feet from the first hive and hotter than a three dollar pistol. They attacked us standing about a hundred yards away, up at the house, and followed my son in his pickup for close to a mile. It's interesting work for sure.
      I got into a hive last year in a pop up camper, the entire cabinet over the fender well of the passenger side was the hive, largest I've ever worked as well. Was stung 21 times thru my ppe by them, finally threw the towel in.

Comment

Very cool, always thought raising bees would be fun and rewarding. We had a hive in the dilapidated house next to where I grew up. Sent them off to A&M and they confirmed they were Africanized.

Comment

very nice, a lot of work, they had been there a while based on the black comb. Usually when a tree goes down the bees leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferg View Post
            very nice, a lot of work, they had been there a while based on the black comb. Usually when a tree goes down the bees leave.
            I caught a very small swarm about 250 yards from this hive last year in mid July that was probably a split from this hive. 250 yards is a stretch for a hive to move, but I guess its possible.

Comment

cool write up. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Great write up.

Comment

I have developed an interest in this here bee keeping. I like honey and would like to collect my own

Comment

I have found two swarms in the last two and a half weeks at my house and they have not been any of my bees that have split. I have stayed on top of my hives and split a bunch of my hives that came out of the winter strong.

Comment

Very kool write-up......Thanks!

Dad used to keep bees and I remember helping him change queens every 3-4 years to keep the hive calm and easy to work with. It's wild trying to find a slightly larger bee in a hive of 10,000.

After he died I stopped working the hives and they became aggressive and I had to destroy them.

The word swarming is used to describe the hive splitting and half the hive moving to a new location. When they do this they are extremely calm and easy to work with. We did it several times......cutting the swarm off a branch and shaking them into a new hive.

As an aside........dad had a friend that used to help us with the hives and he did so without a shirt or bee bonnet.

Comment

If you want a good laugh check this out..........notice how the woman is able to handle the swarm on the branch.

Comment

Very interesting thread. I enjoyed it. There are swarms every year in Katy at our RV dealership if you guys want to come get them.

Comment

Amazing! Thanks for sharing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X