No announcement yet.

Need tornado shelter recommendations – Dallas area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You would need to tunnel under to install under the garage. You can jack hammer a hole in a post tension between cables without any trouble, for the door

Comment

Originally posted by coonazz View Post
      Thanks all. Had my my first guy out to give me a quote. He really wanted me to do an above ground shelter on a slab they would need to pour, just outside of my house and I don't like that plan at all. Need to find someone to do the underground, in the garage option.
      Underground is the only way but the flush mount garage floor shelter are not a good idea. In the event a tornado does hit your home and debri falls on the door there will be nothing to keep the water from filling the shelter. You need an option that protrudes 4-6" above the slab to keep this from happening.

Comment

Texas storm shelter guy in Sherman did mine. I got an 8 person above ground Tornado safe shelter in my garage. He bolted it to my slab. Its supposed to with stand an f5. Makes my house hold so much more comfortable for the kids around storm season. 4800 out the door. I don't have post tension slab though.

Comment

just check the National Storm Shelter Assn. (NSSA) Website for reputable dealers in your area. Lots of full below ground shelters available. The most popular style looks like a giant concrete cube with one edge shaved off. It is installed 2/3 in the ground and one third above ground. Sink it in the ground just off your back porch. Live with peace of mind.

Comment

People say that the above ground shelters will with stand a F5 tornado. I am going to go with this route. Problem with underground shelters is flooding. If debris falls or blocks the door, then you could have a potential for flooding.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawgdog374 View Post
              People say that the above ground shelters will with stand a F5 tornado. I am going to go with this route. Problem with underground shelters is flooding. If debris falls or blocks the door, then you could have a potential for flooding.
              This post is a little older. The OP said he wanted it for Christmas so I'm not sure he's still looking. But, I've researched these and I wouldn't worry about a flush in ground shelter. That is what I would get. I would get the ones where you can use a "come along" to open, even if debris is stacked on top of it. They have made designs to address the "trapped and flooding" concerns.

Comment

I know a couple of folk (family) who used those black plastic water tanks set in the ground attached to horizontal anchor points with air vents and a hatch exposed above ground. They both keep a battery sawz-all and drill in there for cutting their way out if need be. Its about 10 feet behind the back door.

It was fairly low cost for even the backhoe and concrete work.

I personally believe it would withstand.

Comment

check with the county you live in. some have programs that the govt. will pay 1/2 the cost of the shelter. We had one installed about 4 months ago in Cooke county. Got the check for 1/2 the cost last week. It wound up costing us $1700 for it to be installed.

Comment

WHO WE USED http://hillsborostormshelters.com/

Comment

Anyone have a Forever Safe shelter? . . Made in Athens, TX . . Steel / concrete above ground . .

Comment

Always good to have a safe place to go.

Comment

Installed one in garage underground a few years ago. Wife loves it. They came to our house from OK.

FlatSafe Oklahoma Tornado Storm Shelters in OKC, Tulsa, Moore, Norman, Edmond, Yukon, Mustang, and all over the state. Underground and above ground shelters

Comment

get a FEMA approved above ground safe room...bolt it into the slab

In the wake of deadly tornadoes in Oklahoma we investigate which safe rooms are actually safest and the guidelines that must be followed to give your family near absolute protection.

Comment

Any of those undergrounds have a drainage system or sump pump?
                              Sure would hate to be in one that filled up with water and you not be able to get out. Ventilation?
                              Our old timey storm cellar out on the farm had a curb under the overlapping steel door to keep water and snakes from getting in. The cellar itself was lined top, bottom and sides with big Bois d Arc logs and had shelves for canned food and about 2 feet of dirt piled over the top. It was always nice and cool down there. Had a small stove pipe out the top for ventilation. We could get the whole fam damily in there and a few neighbors too. Probably 15 or so people.

Comment

I have 2 friends in OK that have the Flatsafe and love them.

Comment

Working...
                                X