Wood vs carbon arrows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood vs carbon arrows

Just got into trade the bow i bought came with ceder shaft arrows. My question is do I need to switch r just stick with them? Thanks

Nope, can shoot either one, whatever floats your boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would keep them around. I’m gonna say go ahead and grab some carbons because you just got into trad. Those woodies ain’t gonna last long. Carbons are straight. Carbons stay straight. They are also more durable. I think carbons will be much better to learn on.

Comment

Ok thanks guys

Comment

I shot carbon for a while, and then switched to woods. The "feel" is just different. Nothing wrong with either one, just a personal preference. Cedar is but one of the many woods that make good wood arrows.

Comment

I tend to agree with Ken. I do however have a couple of bows that tend to feel better shooting cedar shafts. They are older bows, and they just don't feel as good with carbon or aluminum. One is a used red wing hunter. My buddy gave me some aluminum, carbon, and cedar shafted arrows to try. I walked away from that experience thinking I really didn't like carbons with trad gear. Then I bought a couple of more modern bows, a used bob lee recurve for one, and I really preferred the way carbons shot from them. I went back to the old red wing hunter to try carbons again to see if my opinion changed, and it hadn't. Wood arrows just feel better out of it, and carbons out of others. Nothing wrong with wood arrows. Nothing wrong with carbons. Carbons will probably be easier to work with in many respects. I really like gold tip traditionals.

Comment

I shoot both, but have discovered that I shoot better with wood. What works for me is using premium douglas fir shafts from Surewood. These guys have been making shafts for a long time and they have got it down. Call them and tell the the specs on what your shooting and draw length and they will hook you up. Their shafts require little or no straightening. If your going to shoot 3d shooting both carbon and wood gives you additional classes to shoot in. If you should want to shoot the Texas Longbow Championship you have to shoot wood. An added bonus is making your own arrows is another fun activity of this sport and to me it just seems natural to use wood when doing this.

Comment

Don't limit yourself. I shoot mainly carbons but love to shoot woodies too. I even shoot some older aluminums from time to time. Like Chuck C. says, another bonus is making your own arrows.

Comment

I prefer carbon because I am lazy, cheap, and like to DIY. The lazy and DIY may seem to be at conflict... but DIY carbons are a lot easier and cheaper than DIY wood arrows.

Comment

But they’re oh so pretty when you grind your own wild turkey feathers , stain , crown dip, and crest them! You don’t shoot them at Vanderpool!

Comment

Indeed, very interesting thread

Comment

I have shot both but Carbon is tougher....wood arrows can break much easier. But wood is quieter due to the extra weight you tend to have. Also you need to remember wood does not accept screw in adapters....

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                          I prefer carbon because I am lazy, cheap, and like to DIY. The lazy and DIY may seem to be at conflict... but DIY carbons are a lot easier and cheaper than DIY wood arrows.
                          I can agree with this.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I shoot wood because Bisch told me that wood was the best and he wouldn't shoot any thing else.

Comment

Wood for me and Jeffro. Lol a good straight wood arrow is just about as tough as a carbon. It's when you put the point on a bit crooked . That's when they break. If you know how . You can get them as straight as carbons. Arvin

Comment

Working...
                              X