No announcement yet.

Meat grinder recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the info! Gonna do some research on a few brands and see what I can find out. I do like the lifetime warranty aspect of the cabelas brand. And I’d like to have a reverse just in case I clog it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I picked up one of these this year and it's done 12 deer, a barbary, and a pig for me so far with zero problems,

Comment

I'd get a separate stuffer rather than stuff off the grinder so long as we're dreaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
          I'd get a separate stuffer rather than stuff off the grinder so long as we're dreaming.
          Agree 100%. I got a Weston stuffer off Amazon - think it holds 7lbs. I made 25 lbs of snack sticks last month and the stuffer was awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post

Man you guys must like a lot of extra work with all that cranking. Stopping every 10-15 lbs to reload (and 7lbs in the guy above me's case) is a PITA when you are doing 200-400plus lbs of sausage....plus it is something else to cleanup We tried the stuffer for a few years when I had a weaker grinder and looked like Popeye after a day worth of cranking. ....bought a 1HP and won't even use a stuffer again.

link - coarse

Click image for larger version

Name:	SM2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	24534123

And it cranks out deerstix as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SM7.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	24534124

Comment

Most people aren’t doing 400lbs at a time!

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                If you want to stuff off of it, which I prefer, as I hate the hand cranking of a press stuffer with the quantities we do, I'd go with a minimum of 3/4 HP on one of the Cabelas or LEM grinders. I prefer a minimum of 1 HP with a 22 throat for ease of moving meat. If the Amazon one above is true to it's HP reading it looks like a nice one as well. Either of them should last you a lifetime. Buy once cry once.....and even better as a gift from a rich relative..
                This.

1hp with a #22 neck is the way to go.

Done the smaller #5 and #8 neck grinder and separate vertical stuffers. Get the #22 and don't look back.

Comment

Originally posted by BigCohiba View Post
                  Most people aren’t doing 400lbs at a time!

Ironically my grinder ..... it can stuff 5 lbs too.

Knock yourself out with the separate stuffer. Different strokes for different folks..

Comment

I'm with Smart on not needing a stuffer. Get a kidney plate for your grinder.

Comment

You guys are hardcore! Lol

Comment

Yeah if we were all the same we would drive Chevy's.

Comment

I have the LEM #12 and love it. Also, you might think about a good vacuum sealer. I use both a lot.

Comment

For those that dont use a stuffer and prefer to just use the grinder, how do you get your sausage to feed itself through the grinder. I find myself having to use one hand on the casings and the other to force feed the sausage through the machine because it wont wont fall down the throat on its own.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
                              For those that dont use a stuffer and prefer to just use the grinder, how do you get your sausage to feed itself through the grinder. I find myself having to use one hand on the casings and the other to force feed the sausage through the machine because it wont wont fall down the throat on its own.
                              A second person usually. I've never used one of the stuffers, but don't you have to use one hand to crank the stuffer?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
                                A second person usually. I've never used one of the stuffers, but don't you have to use one hand to crank the stuffer?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
                                I was just looking on the cabelas website and they now offer a foot pedal control motor to attach to sausage stuffer so that you could be hands free/not require a second person. Seems pretty spiffy to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X