Vortex vs Maven Binoculars for Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vortex vs Maven Binoculars for Africa

I'm in the market for a decent pair of binoculars for an upcoming trip to Africa in the spring for spotting and stalking. It will mainly be rifle hunting but I want to try and get on at least one animal with my bow. I usually just use my sony and canon cameras as my binoculars here in Texas since I just bow hunt.

I was deciding between the vortex viper HDs 10x42, on sale for $400 (normally $500ish) or the maven c1 10x42 which are $350 and not on sale. The maven c3 10x50 binoculars are on sale for $250 right now (normally $400) but I'm afraid they may be too big and cause me not to want to bring them everywhere.

What would yall suggest?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I am not a glass snob. However, I was in Africa this past summer and I took my Vortex Diamondback 10x42. The PH I was with was using a pair of Swarovski. The difference was unremarkable. The diamondbacks got the job done but I could not glass like he could. He could could glass longer because of the quality of glass and focus. Plus, the detail he could pick up in low light and during the day. I would be sure to pick up better glass. Also, if this is your only trip to Africa you will want to squeeze every bit of experience you can out of it. Better glass will help you with that. If it's just one of many trips, then you already have the gear for the next one.

Comment

I just went thru the same thing.... bought the 10x42 Mavens and have been very pleased with them. Bottom line you cant go wrong with either pair.

Comment

Vortex are decent glass but Maven is better when compared apples to apples IMO

Comment

Thank you, I'm thinking of buying the c1 10x42 when they go on sale for 20% off tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by TXhoghunter94 View Post
            Thank you, I'm thinking of buying the c1 10x42 when they go on sale for 20% off tomorrow.

B series are much better, but they cost more. I have a pair of C series and two pairs of B series.

Comment

You'll like the Mavens, go for it. I bought myself the b.1 10x42 and my son the c.1 10x42 back in August at the Hunters Extravaganza. As you have probably seen they are $950 and $350 respectively, I offered $1100 for both pair and they took it. They are both very nice.

Comment

I would look at stepping up to the B series Mavens. They are approaching Swarovski quality in my opinion at less than 1/2 the price

Comment

I appreciate all the feedback. I have heard great things about the B series but I would like to spend under $500 since I'm not sure how often I'll use them and I may not be able to tell much of a difference since I dont use optics very often. The 10x42 c1s will be on sale for $270 tomorrow and I bought a badlands xr bino harness today for them for 50% off with their sale.

Comment

I got a pair of the c1 42x10 and I'm very pleased with them so far. The eye cups do rotate rather freely but I may just glue them in place once I'm sure I'm happy with the current setting.

Comment

The mavens are nice, but most are heavier then other brands in its class.

Comment

I would look at the Meopta Optika line of binos as well. They are well within the price ranges you are comparing. The also have excellent warranty.

Comment

I bought a pair of Vortex Diamondbacks 10x42 two years ago and I just cannot like them. They are ok but in my opinion they should be better. I cannot get them to focus into a clear, crisp image. I am not a fan of the eyepieces/cups either.

Comment

Originally posted by TXhoghunter94 View Post
                            I appreciate all the feedback. I have heard great things about the B series but I would like to spend under $500 since I'm not sure how often I'll use them and I may not be able to tell much of a difference since I dont use optics very often. The 10x42 c1s will be on sale for $270 tomorrow and I bought a badlands xr bino harness today for them for 50% off with their sale.

I say buy the B series, use them on your hunt and sell them on here when you get back. My guess is you will appreciate the quality enough to justify the price you paid and choose to keep them.

Comment

Anything but the Vortex

Comment

Working...
                              X