No announcement yet.

Nicer things?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree, best you can afford. Camera equipment is one of my big ones, but I second buying the best used.

Comment

I spend alot of money on what I use alot.
      My bed and car.

Comment

I like nice things.

A 1k fishing reel would only lead to fights with my buddies on the days they out fished me and wouldn't shut up about my 1k reel

Comment

Kinda funny story about the good stuff. Took my oldest grandson deer hunting Missouri youth weekend last year for some reason he started googling the price of my equipment (the stuff he was using). He was shooting a Sako 85 hunter in 7mm-08 with Swarovski Z5 watching deer through Swarovski SLC 10x40’s and sitting in a Summit Vine ladder stand. After the weekend hunt he told his momma that he didn’t know hunting was that expensive and he needed to go to college so he could make enough money to afford to hunt. I guess he didn’t realize Paw Paw ain’t gonna be able to hunt forever. Like I posted earlier your grandkids will thank you for buying the good stuff.

Comment

Tools seemed to be mentioned quite a bit on this thread, I been selling tools for a living a long time. I will take in other brands of hand tools for trade ins, Snap On, Mac and sometimes Cornwell stuff I will take in trade. I can resell those brands fairly easy.

I will not take big box store brands, Harbor Freight, Craftsman, Gearwrench or any other off branded tools. The only way I can sell those off brand tools is to pile them in a 5 gallon bucket for 20.00. I read threads on TBH about cordless brands and have to say that there is a lot of misconceptions out there.

Common sense will tell you that a used Leupold scope is worth more used than a Vortex. Brand name stuff made in USA will always bring a premium price in a used market.

I like to think that when I lay down my money for something that it will last.
            Last edited by Radar; 08-21-2019, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
              Most of my crappy cheap stuff has been slowly replaced by good, high quality stuff.

I'm a big believer in paying more for quality gear, IF it's actually quality.
              Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
              Boots
              Some tools
              Quality rifles and pistols, but not real expensive
              Bows

A lot of stuff is built to throw away today, and in some cases that is a good thing and sometimes not. I will generally buy mid range price things for most of what i buy. I don't need the flashy electronic stuff and things like that, but what i buy i want to work. Some things I won't skimp on because sometimes it is too expensive to buy cheap stuff. Unfortunately many times you don't know what is cheap stuff till you buy it, and some times it ain't cheap haha

PS I banned my wife from the dollar store cause everything in that place that is not name brand is JUNK and cost way more in headache than any pennies saved HAHA
              Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
              "Buy once. Cry once."
              Originally posted by Rick View Post
              for me it depends on how much I use it....if it is a seldom used item I look for cheap. if it is a frequently used item I look closer. Expensive does not always equal quality...plus I look hard for quality used items. a lot of times u can get great quality for a good price if you buy gently used.

These all remind me of the guy trying to buy a clitoris (sp)

Comment

Spend money on:

shoes
                tools
                guns
                knives
                lawn mower
                weed eater
                blower
                chainsaw

I'd like a good watch to give to my son when he graduates school.

Comment

Clitoris? Those are cheaper to rent than buy.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                    These all remind me of the guy trying to buy a clitoris (sp)
                    Why buy when you can have access to one?

Comment

Dang.
                      I agree to a extend but feel like a 1k reel is the equivalent of buying a Ferrari to use when you were sick and tired of a cheap kia. Lots a good quality in between those options that are great quality
                      Last edited by 150class; 08-21-2019, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Oh you paid for it..

Comment

My grandpa used to say "why buy the cow when you get the milk for free?"

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                            I'd like to hear a list of what people think is worth more money. I don't mind paying more IF I know it's going to last.
                            French's Mustard & Heinz Ketchup

Comment

Shoes- Its what you don't see that makes quality footwear worth it.
                              Tools- Because a cheap one is dang sure going to break at the worst time.
                              Steaks- Life is too short not to eat Prime.
                              Wine- See above
                              Whiskey- See above
                              Plastic Surgeons- See above

Comment

Depends on what it is. Certain gear is worth the money, but not always necessary. I have no doubt that the high dollar backpacks and frames are worth the money compared to my thrown together molle frame, but the benefit over cost isnt very attractive, and isnt necessary either (I can still perform same function).
                                Same thing with work shoes. I bought some Allen Edmonds for 400ish, and they're still like brand new. Beats buying 80-100 shoes every year. Plus they can redo them for 125 bucks in the future. Comfort is worth it too.
                                Guns, tech has progressed to the point where benefit over cost is falling and most anything for 500 bucks can get the same job done to a point. I've switched to a stick bow so same thing there haha.

Unless the cost to benefit is great or theres some functional difference or inherent quality difference ( we could all live off chicken feet, rice, beans but I'd rather enjoy good food that's good for me), I'm going for what makes sense at cost per dollar and necessary function.

Comment

Working...
                                X