Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do when the numbers just don't add up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do when the numbers just don't add up?

My lease mate shot a really nice buck on opening day last year. He finally got around to getting in the hands of a guy to have it scored. The guy is an older gentleman from our area and is an official BC scorer. My buddy shot this deer with a bow. Well the score came back and he called me very disappointed. I was too to say the least. I said you're not supposed to shop scores, but in this case I told him to find a P&Y scorer and have it re-done. The BC guy came up with 140 and change gross and 114 and change net! Am I missing something here? I guess him to be low to mid 160's easy. What do you all think he will score and should he have him re-scored to see if he will be a P&Y book deer? I'd be interested to know what others think.
    Attached Files

I've given up on P&Y and B&C. I'd have him scored for SCI.

Comment

personally I would not care what the numbers said as that is an AWESOME buck! I could see his gross typical score being 140", but his gross non-typical score is considerably higher than that.

Comment

It would be interesting to see that guys score sheet.

He is way off in his assessment.

Comment

He shot the buck, hopefully, because it got his heart racing.
          If he's "score shopping", I think he's hunting for the wrong reason.

Comment

Did your buddy get the sheet ? It isn't hard to measure it yourself . It's a main frame 8 with around 10-12 " of extras.

Comment

Nets are for fishing.....

That being said, I'm not sure about the gross but he does seem to have a lot of deductions for symmetry. But then again that's what P&Y and B&C use as a basis.....which is a load of crap.

Comment

He's not score shopping. It was his first bow buck. First time he had actually seen the buck live and it was on opening day. Lots of firsts and would like to know if it makes P&Y just to top off the whole experience. It was an awesome day for him.

Comment

I see 140+ without a doubt with that mass. Maybe up to 150-153

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                    He shot the buck, hopefully, because it got his heart racing.
                    If he's "score shopping", I think he's hunting for the wrong reason.
                    I believe he was referring to "score shopping" as in having it scored again by someone else.

Regardless, I know what you meant and I agree with you 100%. Too much emphasis is on "numbers" these days. Sure, it's nice to know but in no way is it something to revolve hunting around IMO.

Comment

Who cares what it scores. That is cool looking buck

Comment

I just did the math...actually he may be right.

I'd still like to see the score sheet.

Comment

looks like a lot of mass there to me I believe he will make p&y my self nice deer , great deer

Comment

If you get it scored by another it will confirm your thoughts either way
                            Either the guys accurate on his score or not
                            What would it hurt to have a second person score it, and don't tell them what previous numbers are to see what they come up with
                            Either way it looks like a great deer , don't get worried or base your success on score numbers or you'll prob not enjoy your hunting success as much as if you just take the deer you like
                            Last edited by ReydonPete; 09-14-2017, 07:54 AM.

Comment

I'd get a second opinion. nothing wrong with making sure

Comment

Working...
                              X