Canning Salsa - Step by step with Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scotty View Post

They are actually San Marzano tomatoes, James. Related to the Roma, but they get bigger. I think they are sweeter, too.
    I thought they looked a little bit bigger, but I figured it was because of the nuclear plant next door....

Comment

Originally posted by TUCO View Post
      I thought they looked a little bit bigger, but I figured it was because of the nuclear plant next door....

Straight from the garden!

Comment

So how long does this keep for?

KIDDING!

My wife and son are out of town for the week so I may whip up a batch one night to keep me out of trouble. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

will try

Comment

Comment

My first batch is cooking as I type.

I did not have any fresh garlic so used same habanero garlic I had in the refrigerator..

It is very good.

Comment

[ATTACH]628733[/ATTACH]

Comment

I've never used vinegar in my salsa but I've never made that much what does it do?also I like the color of your salsa mine has a tendency to either not be hot enough or coming out too green, maybe too much cilantro. I try and make a quart at a time any advice on how to makw a smaller version of your recipe?

Comment

[QUOTE=coy-ote;8719504]I've never used vinegar in my salsa but I've never made that much what does it do?also I like the color of your salsa mine has a tendency to either not be hot enough or coming out too green, maybe too much cilantro. I try and make a quart at a time any advice on how to makw a smaller version of your recipe?[/QUOTE

This recipe is for canning salsa. It allows you to make a bunch at one time and it keeps without refrigeration.

If you're just going to make a jar or two, there isn't any need to preserve it. Just keep it in the refrigerator.

The lemon and lime juice, plus the vinegar, raise the acidity of the salsa to keep bacteria from growing. I mix the three acids, so that you don't get overwhelmed by any one of them.

I use lots of ripe tomatoes. It takes about 15 pounds to make 12 pints of salsa.

Comment

don't get me wrong I've always been to worried about canning anything but you tutorial makes it look easy , and I never get the same color heat or consistency ,how do you figure the amount of peppers to tomatoes ratio to keep the red color? if I found a recipe we could eat I would love to have 12 pints

Comment

Originally posted by coy-ote View Post
                        don't get me wrong I've always been to worried about canning anything but you tutorial makes it look easy , and I never get the same color heat or consistency ,how do you figure the amount of peppers to tomatoes ratio to keep the red color? if I found a recipe we could eat I would love to have 12 pints

To make 12 pints, It takes about 15 pounds of tomatoes. I grow San Marzano, but Roma work as well. I start out with fewer peppers than I think I need. As the salsa is cooking, I taste rest to determine how many more peppers I need to add. I grow a variety of heat levels, from jalapeños to Carolina Reapers. I just keep adding peppers until I get the heat level that I want.

Comment

Thanks Scott I'm taking my first shot at canning tomorrow

Comment

man, this looks good!

Comment

tried the taste method you were spot on with the recipe

Comment

Originally posted by coy-ote View Post
                                tried the taste method you were spot on with the recipe

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X