No announcement yet.

Releasing Bobcats from traps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you ought to see the video of the fella releasing a grown mountain lion from a foothold trap....

Comment

A trapper from Utah in the United-States accidentally caught a mountain lion that got its paws caught in the trap, and then had to release the furious animal.

A wise man’s heart inclines to the right, but the heart of a fool to the left.
      Ecclesiastes 10:2

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
        Be sure to provide video.
        It's not that difficult. A half sheet of plywood is all you need with a notch cut in the bottom of it. Place the wood between you and the cat. The notch will go over the foot trap and cats paw. Then you release the trap. No one gets hurt. If you want coyotes taken alive they are even easier. Grab them on the back of the neck behind the ear and they won't hardly move.

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
          Maybe encinal will post cause every video I’ve seen of releasing bobcasts on Instagram is from his place. Says in the comments that bobcats aren’t the target species and they aren’t as worried about them killing deer as coyotes
          My buddy in Howard County says the same. I have varmint hunted there numerous times and they are off limits. Matter of fact fixing to varmint hunt it again pretty soon. Yotes and fox only.

Comment

Originally posted by brianlg31 View Post
            This is just out of pure curiosity. I have seen several videos of people who have caught bobcats in foot traps, take a catch pole and release the cat. What is the purpose of this? I guess my real question is, why set a trap if you aren’t going to take what is caught? Bobcats are just as much a predator as a coyote.
            Most of those videos should be Marco’s as mentioned already. Bobcats are bycatch to them and they believe they do not affect the deer population as much as coyotes do which is their main target.

Comment

Up here cats are good money and most trappers will release the females to help keep the population healthy for future trapping.

Comment

I’ve released a couple that I’ve caught while targeting coyotes. I put a plastic tub over them, pull tree trapped paw out and open the trap. The impact they have on deer vs the mice and squirrels they get is worth it.

Comment

When we used to do this it was to move them to the interior of a ranch away from any public roads. Once released, after a bit we would turn the dogs loose for training purposes. Probably sounds mean to some folks, but we were working for West Texas ranchers. Their livestock is their lively hood. It was a good dog training mechanism.

Comment

This^^^^ video is releasing a bear, but this is the same way I release a bobcat. I use half a sheet of plywood. Notice the notch in the bottom.

This ^^^^^ is how I get a coyote out. Once you grab them there they are harmless

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post
                      I have heard him say they dont think bobcats are too hard on the deer. They are after coyotes.
                      This. I do the same, we also release badgers. We hammer the coyotes and coons.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post

This ^^^^^ is how I get a coyote out. Once you grab them there they are harmless
                        That takes a pair! What do you want it alive for? .22 pistol range is about as close as I'm willing to get to an unhappy trapped raccoon, much less a coyote.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                          That takes a pair! What do you want it alive for? .22 pistol range is about as close as I'm willing to get to an unhappy trapped raccoon, much less a coyote.
                          I don't like killing any animals in my traps. I will usually reset them, but if there is blood spilled then I have to move them. I take hogs out of my traps alive also. If I shoot a hog in the trap it will be weeks before the return.

Comment

Old school pic of my great uncle handling a live trapped coyote

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I cut them out of snares if they are still alive. Don't hurt anything and I think they help quail. Huge part of their diet in pack rats. Park rats will raid quail nest.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                                It's not that difficult. A half sheet of plywood is all you need with a notch cut in the bottom of it. Place the wood between you and the cat. The notch will go over the foot trap and cats paw. Then you release the trap. No one gets hurt. If you want coyotes taken alive they are even easier. Grab them on the back of the neck behind the ear and they won't hardly move.
                                Well of course! Hell! That’s what I do too, but I have also mastered the judo chop...

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HSrigvOX1AE"]Judo Chop - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                                X