Releasing Bobcats from traps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Releasing Bobcats from traps

This is just out of pure curiosity. I have seen several videos of people who have caught bobcats in foot traps, take a catch pole and release the cat. What is the purpose of this? I guess my real question is, why set a trap if you aren’t going to take what is caught? Bobcats are just as much a predator as a coyote.

Originally posted by brianlg31 View Post
    This is just out of pure curiosity. I have seen several videos of people who have caught bobcats in foot traps, take a catch pole and release the cat. What is the purpose of this? I guess my real question is, why set a trap if you aren’t going to take what is caught? Bobcats are just as much a predator as a coyote.
    We’re these in Texas? There are a lot of states where Bobcats are off limits or there is a season limit. I want to say PA has a very limited and restrict bag on trapping bobcats (like a drawn permit). I have to assume if you trapped a bobcat in a state like that you would be releasing them?

Comment

Yes it was in Texas

Comment

I have heard him say they dont think bobcats are too hard on the deer. They are after coyotes.

Comment

We used to live catch the first 2 for bait production. Not sure if this is what you saw or not. We never released a bobcat, ever

Comment

brianlg31 - good question, I also was watching and wondering. Thanks for bringing this up.

Comment

Originally posted by brianlg31 View Post
              Cause they want them to grow and be shot for the west Texas big bobcat contest or other calling contest. Possible 47k bobcat. I know many predator hunters that don’t kill cats till calling contest season. And if trapping coyotes with snares or leg traps, try to let cats go.

Comment

Maybe encinal will post cause every video I’ve seen of releasing bobcasts on Instagram is from his place. Says in the comments that bobcats aren’t the target species and they aren’t as worried about them killing deer as coyotes

Comment

Strange practice

Comment

I always released bobcats when trapping coyotes. I just put a 5 gallon bucket over them, pulled the caught foot out and released the trap. Now getting the bucket off a mad cat proved exciting a few times....

Comment

I think allot of people like bobcats on the land. They take care of pests. I don't really have any interest in killing them myself and I don't have a problem with people that do either.

Comment

Maybe they don't hate bobcats, and didn't want to kill them? Bobcats are great rat control

Comment

I personally love watching bobcats, I don’t get the reason to kill them. Now coyotes is a different story! That’s target practice all day long ��

Comment

Originally posted by MathewsZ7 View Post
                            I personally love watching bobcats, I don’t get the reason to kill them. Now coyotes is a different story! That’s target practice all day long ��
                            Me too. I've killed one just because I wanted a mount (that didn't turn out so well)
                            I've seen a few while hunting and have given them a pass. If I catch one in a foot trap I'd probably release it too.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                              If I catch one in a foot trap I'd probably release it too.
                              Be sure to provide video.

Comment

Working...
                              X