No announcement yet.

Feeder Build w/ wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go to home depot and buy 2 gallons of the 5$ oops paint latex exterior paint and slap it on thick
    I think it will last u plenty long enough and work just fine

My only suggestion would be to maybe look at another wire that one might not get corn slung out

Nice build and on upside when ur done with it u can just burn it at the lease instead of hauling it home

Comment

There's gonna be a ton of corn under it and probably in the cage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have one that’s going on 7 yrs old. It’s a self feeder but it holds up and have no issues with mold. I used treated plywood. It hold 200lbs.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by sharkhunter; 02-23-2019, 09:06 AM.

Comment

I don't know why some people think wood would have a mold problem while steel barrels don't? The steel barrels are not sealed at top and bottom, they have moisture in them too. I would use a metal barrel, but I don't see why wood would not work just fine.

Comment

We had several big wooden trough gravity feeders that would hold 2,000lbs each. They have lasted over 15 yrs and still going strong on our old deer lease. They had a metal tin roof and a metal to divert the feed onto the troughs.

Comment

Originally posted by FireNguns View Post
              Welder? Just buy a barrel and bolt up kit.
              I hope it works out for you but I think there is a reason no one uses wood.
              My dad and grandfather use to build them before they became commercially available.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                I have one that’s going on 7 yrs old. It’s a self feeder but it holds up and have no issues with mold. I used treated plywood. It hold 200lbs.
                That an elf on the shelf!

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                  That an elf on the shelf!
                  Lol yep and he’s holding a knife. I have a twisted sense of humor !

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
                    My dad and grandfather use to build them before they became commercially available.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Folks used to ride horses and crap in an outhouse too. Now there is a good use of wood[emoji13][emoji23]

Comment

Congrats for homemade!
                      I build my first feeder of wood.
                      Pre cameras and no pigs.
                      Not sure what ate the corn out of it.
                      Use plenty paint (inside and out) zand you will be fine.
                      Having said that, squirrels just ate a hole in my plastic water barrel.

Comment

1x 1/2” mesh will be fine. Now 3/8" x3/8" might be an issue, most corn in less than 1/2" x 1/2".

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                          Lol yep and he’s holding a knife. I have a twisted sense of humor !
                          Haha awesome!!!

Comment

looks Good

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                              I don't know why some people think wood would have a mold problem while steel barrels don't? The steel barrels are not sealed at top and bottom, they have moisture in them too. I would use a metal barrel, but I don't see why wood would not work just fine.
                              Wood retains moisture, metal does not. Wood works fine for open ended feeders (troughs, gravity, etc.) because it can breath. Sealing a wood container (with a feeder mechanism) is asking for problems unless the wood is sealed or there is enough ventilation/air flow.

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
                                Wood retains moisture, metal does not. Wood works fine for open ended feeders (troughs, gravity, etc.) because it can breath. Sealing a wood container (with a feeder mechanism) is asking for problems unless the wood is sealed or there is enough ventilation/air flow.
                                I wish I had pics of the one I built out of plywood back when I was 17-18, 30 plus years ago You guys would really laugh, but it lasted a long time. This was pre commercial timer motors, we used windshield wiper motors, cut the bottom out of Folgers coffee can and cut slots, bend to make the fins, drill a hole in center bolt to wiper motor- home made spinner plate. Make a dusk/dawn timer and you were set. To the OP I would use a bigger mesh, paint that feeder and get after it. It should work fine and last for years. Good job and nice build!

Comment

Working...
                                X