No announcement yet.

Hog "management" question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven’t seen a hog out of my stand in 3 years. Figured they had moved on. Let my nephew and brother sit my stand last weekend. Well. Got some business to take care of.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
      If you kill 2 out of a group of 10, 15 will survive.
      Best assessment of the hog pop I have read.

Advice to the OP - kill em. Kill em all. I had that same passing thought 15 years ago... and after killing 168 one year and 174 the following year... we only killed 72 so far this year and it is worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxlab View Post
        Kill the sow, then kill the piglets. Piglets will stick around till they get bigger.
        x2

Comment

We have 400 acres in atascosa co. We rarely shoot sows and primarily focus on the big boars. Maybe kill a total of 5 pigs a year. The population never changes and we have never been "over run" with hogs. Often times they totally disappear for a month at a time. Let them populate, they are fun and taste better than deer anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasLongball View Post
            Annnnnd now I'm cleaning water off of my monitor. Thanks.

I don't see other adults with any regularity. I just don't want to scatter them.
            There's a boar somewhere. In my experience, (depending on age/maturity) the piglets will usually stick with their routine if you kill the sow. Try to shoot them all- you won't get rid of them.

Comment

Shoot the sow. Then enjoy taking the pigs out gradually.

Out atascosa lease was covered in hogs. Right on the river.
              Not unusual to see large groups of hogs.

Comment

"Yet" is the key word on feeder damage.

Comment

Shoot the sow and pull her away from the feeder. Lay her on her side like she was nursing the piglets. Come back early in morning with shotgun and you should be able to get three of the piglets trying to nurse.
                  This works very well. I know.

Also you got a boar passing thru, you just aint seen it yet.

Comment

Shoot everyone you see and you will still have a hog problem!��

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                      If you kill 2 out of a group of 10, 15 will survive.
                      I vote for the best of quote of 18 so far

Comment

Originally posted by buzzbait View Post
                        I haven’t seen a hog out of my stand in 3 years. Figured they had moved on. Let my nephew and brother sit my stand last weekend. Well. Got some business to take care of.
                        That white one would be going on the smoker if I were sitting in the blind

Comment

Kill them all now. Breed at 5 months old and 3 litters a year if you don't kill all of them now you will regret it later. They will keep the deer away from your feeders and you will have to put deer pens up to keep those nasty hogs from stinking up your deer feeders that deer won't show up. I can remember 25 years or so Ago thinking oh look some wild hogs that's cool. Now they have put my domestic pig farm out of operation and destroys thousands of dollars of pastures and hay fields a year. Kill all of them now before they get out of hand.

Comment

I've never had a feeder damaged by pigs but then again I don't use cheap plastic barrel types and I know how to set up to avoid issues.

I've been on leases where there was good pig hunting. The one I'm on I was told I would get tired of wasting arrows on them the first season there were so many. Four seasons later I still don't see enough to make me happy.

Most places that have pigs don't have a pig problem. I've only been on one place in 30 years that had more pigs than you could kill. That was near Nacogdoches. And I've been a few places where they did nothing but complain about how many there were.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                              I've never had a feeder damaged by pigs but then again I don't use cheap plastic barrel types and I know how to set up to avoid issues.

I've been on leases where there was good pig hunting. The one I'm on I was told I would get tired of wasting arrows on them the first season there were so many. Four seasons later I still don't see enough to make me happy.

Most places that have pigs don't have a pig problem. I've only been on one place in 30 years that had more pigs than you could kill. That was near Nacogdoches. And I've been a few places where they did nothing but complain about how many there were.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
                              I have feral pigs and its a constant battle. Rooting up pasture land, rooting up crops, destroying water tanks, and digging under fences. Hay fields so tore up it cannot be baled.

Your more than welcome to come down here and take a look for your self, I can promise you I have feral pigs and we have a feral pig problem.

The state must recognize a problem, why else would they be looking at poison.

The San Antonio River Authority must recognize a problem, why else would they talk about land erosion and E coli in the river.

The Cattlemens Assoc. must recognize it, why else would they have guest speakers and seminars on feral pig destruction.
                              Last edited by Radar; 01-23-2018, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                                I have feral pigs and its a constant battle. Rooting up pasture land, rooting up crops, destroying water tanks, and digging under fences. Hay fields so tore up it cannot be baled.

Your more than welcome to come down here and take a look for your self, I can promise you I have feral pigs and we have a feral pig problem.

The state must recognize a problem, why else would they be looking at poison.

The San Antonio River Authority must recognize a problem, why else would they talk about land erosion and E coli in the river.

The Cattlemens Assoc. must recognize it, why else would they have guest speakers and seminars on feral pig destruction.

I have night vision and I will travel....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X