No announcement yet.

Hog "management" question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just think of how nice of a hog lease you'll have a year from now.

DJ

Comment

Hate to tell you this, but you have hogs. They aren't going anywhere. Shoot them all, they will still show up. You now have them forever. Even if you think you shot them all, you didn't. More will show up.

Comment

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post
        I would be shooting as many piglets as possible and see how that goes. If it starts getting out of hand, smoke the sow.
        This. Split those piglets down the back and slap them on the smoker. You can thank me later.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
          Hate to tell you this, but you have hogs. They aren't going anywhere. Shoot them all, they will still show up. You now have them forever. Even if you think you shot them all, you didn't. More will show up.
          There are 2 types of lands in Texas

1. Those that are fighting the hog invasion.
          2. Those that are preparing for the hog invasion.

Comment

I may need to ask the mods to delete this thread so there isn't a written record of this in a year or two when I'm ****** off like the rest of you.

Maybe I just have a more refined group of pigs...very considerate and great guests.

Comment

Shoot sow with bow. When piglets come back shoot them with 00 buck shot. Should be able to get several and shoot the rest running off.

They can start reproducing at 5-6 months old, so they will multiply fast.

Comment

I had 2 groups well over 50 pigs in each last August. Have killed 15 or so and neighbors have done the same. Still have a group of 40+ and they are dropping piglets left and right. They will always be here and that doesn't bother me. I just shoot them any given opportunity!

Piglets will return, sow will return. Just shoot or trap them when you can. When I have heavy daylight activity and kill 1-2 they tend to go nocturnal for a couple weeks.

Comment

If they get out of hand your deer population will twindle just fair warning!

Comment

What size do y'all think the sow is? Those feeder legs are 8'.

Comment

All those are shooting size. You will never get rid of them all so shoot as many as you can.

Comment

120# Small ones 25-30#

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                          There are 2 types of lands in Texas

1. Those that are fighting the hog invasion.
                          2. Those that are preparing for the hog invasion.
                          Not true. There have been hogs in Bend Tx for 25+ years. We are not over run and we don't even shoot many or trap at all. 7 feeders go year round also.

Hogs only overpopulate in areas where they thrive, not all over the place.
                          And why is this "invasion" taking 30 years? If they multiply 1/2 as fast as you guys say they would have covered the world 3x over by now.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasLongball View Post
                            What size do y'all think the sow is? Those feeder legs are 8'.

If that's the only group you're seeing I'd pick off one small one once in a while. Depending on the size of the ranch hogs are fairly easy to chase off contrary to most people's opinions. I'm talking about west of I-35 East is a different ball game.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                              If you kill 2 out of a group of 10, 15 will survive.
                              I literally laughed out loud at this...and I definitely can't argue with the math.

Comment

They are delicious, especially the small ones. 7 hours at 225 degrees, be it oven, smoker, or grill.

Comment

Working...
                                X