No announcement yet.

Rusty style DIY power hammer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This project multiplied my previous welding experience x10. That, and I'm just beyond the capability of my machine. I'm using flux core in a Lincoln 180. Some of this is 3/8 to 1/2. I'm beveling edges and laying it on thick and ugly, lol. I really don't know what'll hold, but I'd be surprised a little if everything sticks just right.

Comment

This is great. As a new welder turned “I bet I could make that” type of person, making stuff like you said, just trying to fit available pieces and material towards a final goal, is about as fun as it gets. I’m going to show this to my 11yr son. He will have us making one next weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
        This project multiplied my previous welding experience x10. That, and I'm just beyond the capability of my machine. I'm using flux core in a Lincoln 180. Some of this is 3/8 to 1/2. I'm beveling edges and laying it on thick and ugly, lol. I really don't know what'll hold, but I'd be surprised a little if everything sticks just right.

Oh I’m not poking fun, we’ve ALL been there! Some of mine are still sketchy at best...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

More progress. Got the tire mounted where I think it needs to be on the base.

Got the bearings for the ends of the drive arm set up. Smaller one goes on the spring end, bigger one on the tire end. Threaded parts allow me to adjust the distance between the dies.

Hers a shot of the plate from further up the page. Bolts to the rim. Nuts welded on for 6.5, 7, 7.5 stroke.

Long way to go yet. More pics tomorrow and Sunday.

Comment

Great build!

Comment

Here’s the part I was most worried about. The anvil for the hammer is. 32” piece of 5.5” round stock, at 215 pounds. That is then inserted into a mud pump sleeve that’s another 175 or so, and also 5.5” bore. Now y’all know a hole has to be bigger than the thing you plan to stick in it. I polished all the rust out of the sleeve, then worked over the post with a flap wheel to knock off all the handling gouges and high spots. With that much weight, there’s not an easy way to test fit. It is all or nothing. I welded on some lift points to the anvil so I could lift it with a come along. I set the sleeve underneath, and used the come along to slowly lower the rod into the sleeve. I’ll be darned, it slid right in there. Whew!

Last edited by Jason Fry; 04-28-2018, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Heck of a diy project. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
                  Fortunately we're in a "regular" older neighborhood, with no HOA. I'll try and get some pics tonight of the progress from Sunday.

I was working in the back on the hammer when my grumpiest neighbor came out to the alley to dump trash. Struck up a conversation and I invited him over to see the project. Turns out he has interest in knifemaking. Considering how fussy he’s been, to get him interested before I start banging away with this thing is a good step.

Comment

First major error. Got the column together and figured out that the column was a foot too tall. That 4” square tube is 3/8 wall, killed a chop saw blade but got it cut down and re-welded. Back on track.

Comment

Looking good. But hope it doesn't hammer it to death from the stress! Keep us posted!! I worked at, International Harvester when I was young. One of our presses, 5000# would break a 5 foot thick crank shaft in half about once a year. All it was pressing was white hot 4 cylinder crank shafts.

Comment

Man, I am ready to see this thing come to life. Any more progress today ??

Comment

Got the guide mounted and the hammer head installed. I also added the push arm and mounted the motor. Still need to wire the motor and tune everything.

Agree, hoping the welds hold and it doesn’t catastrophically and dangerously fail.

Comment

Got the motor mounted and wired and let it go a few hits for proof of concept. Still a lot of adjustment, tightening, and final welding of tacked parts. Once it is running right, I’ll do a YouTube video.

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
                              .......those welds![emoji12]

U should name it, "The Widdowmaker"....

Comment

I'm kind of thinking "Rattletrap" since I used to tournament fish...

Turns out my neighbor (who likes to fuss at my kids) works at a fabrication shop. If (when, lol) something breaks, we can pull it apart and get it welded by a real welder.

Comment

Working...
                                X