No announcement yet.

Rusty style DIY power hammer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like some kind of medieval sex machine.....

Comment

Excellent DIY project. Keep us posted on progress.

Comment

Looks awesome! I'm finishing my forge today and should have it fired up this afternoon. Maybe this will be my next project!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hope to get the whole thing minus the drive train assembled this weekend. Pics eventually, lol. Next weekend will be motor, drive linkage, and tuning.

Comment

If you watched the most recent forged in fire, on elf the people had this exact power hammer in their shop

Comment

Originally posted by TMC50 View Post
              If you watched the most recent forged in fire, on elf the people had this exact power hammer in their shop

Comment

Originally posted by TMC50 View Post

Is that the one that blew apart mid stroke or was that a different episode? One of the finalists were using his home built hammer when it went kaput.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                  Is that the one that blew apart mid stroke or was that a different episode? One of the finalists were using his home built hammer when it went kaput.

It was this weeks episode. I am pretty sure it broke at one point. The only reason I saw it was because I saw this thread and the spring.

Comment

Worked on the top of the center upright, to get the pivot in place for the leaf springs. All recycled/used/scrounged materials so far.

Closer look at the pivot.

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
                      Looks like a living nightmare

.....I want one

Lol!!!

Looking good OP

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

The hammer ram goes up and down inside a guide. That’s the “guided” part of the guided helve hammer. Inside the guide will be UHMW plastic, adjustable with screws. Lots of tapping in 1/4” thick tubing with 3/8” tap.

Comment

Here’s the roller assembly that will transfer the curved path of the helve spring into a straight up and down guided hammer head.

Comment

Here’s the other end of the hammer head. Made for interchangeable heads in case I want to try different die shapes.

Also built die plates for the anvil top. That way I can change the die or angle there as well.

Comment

Got the base plate screwed to the RR tie base last night. I also have most of the pieces ready to assemble on the base. Got bearings in the mail yesterday, and the motor should arrive tomorrow. Went with a 1.5 HP 1750 RPM motor and 3" drive wheel, which should end up around 218 beats per minute. I'll still have to fabricate the wheel once the round stock arrives later this week. Still lack the treadle and motor mount, but the design and fab there shouldn't be much, an hour or two. It'll be a hard push this weekend. If I can get it together on Saturday and work out the kinks on Sunday, that'll be perfect. Just as likely I'll fall a little short.

Comment

.......those welds![emoji12] That thing is AWESOME!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X