Mesquite Bowhunting May 11th -13th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mesquite Bowhunting May 11th -13th

A group of us went to Mesquite Bowhunting in Pearsall this passed weekend for unlimited pigs. Well needless to say unlimited meant 1 killed and 1 other shot the rest of us got blanked. Three out of the five of us on this weekend hunt saw no pigs. Didnt even get to draw our bow. The owner Tommy and companion Mike are both really good people and this is more of a heads up to the number of pigs there really are. We were told there was between 300-400 pigs on this 250 acres so we were stocked. The first night Friday evening is the only time pigs were seen the entire rest of the weekend there were no more pigs spotted. I felt that there were more like 40-50 pigs maybe. Once again just a heads up. This was for a dear friends 30th birthday and it didnt pan out the way we had hoped still made the best of it but wish that everybody would have at least seen pigs.

Did Gerald get rid of the place?

Comment

i believe Gerald was just the ranch foreman but yes he is gone

Comment

What about the other animals on the place? Anything else seen? We were there last October and saw a lot of axis, blackbuck, and fallow. We were thinking about going back again sometime this year, just wondering if it would be worth it.

Comment

We saw amazing other animals from 38 inch axis to Huge Blackbucks, Red stag and rams. Great place for hunting exotics. lots of wildlife just not many pigs.

Comment

I may have to make a trip out there again. We only came back with a fallow buck last time, but it definitely wasnt for the lack of trying. It's a tough place to hunt. Sorry about not seeing many hogs.

Comment

I went down there years ago on a hog hunt. The guy I went with and I each shot a pig, but they had quite a bit at the time. It was very tough, thick terrain though.

There were some guys exotic hunting that weren't very happy, which I understood because they did an exotic package and the only one that saw something shot it and it was a 6" blackbuck. Personally I didn't see anything other than does when it came to exotics.

Comment

I hunted there several years ago with a group and we saw lots of pigs. We were there for exotics and came away disappointed with the operation of the place.

Comment

Either way, I still had a blast!!! We need to find you a killing ranch and go tear em up one weekend

Comment

That's hunting

In my experiences with hunting I would say that I have been presented with many goose eggs on many sittings (0 shot opportunties) when hunting. More than I care to get into.....but that is why it is called hunting. It is good to hear that you guys had a good time and made the most of it. At least some of you were presented with the opportunity to shoot. It would have been bad to hear that there were zero pig sightings. I am sure the person running this place was hoping to see that all of you got your fill. From what I am reading in some of the other posts as well is that the terrain is difficult to hunt. Is it the location of the ground blinds or the tree stands or just thick brush? I am curious because I work in Pearsall and would like to check this place out one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruben Garza View Post
                      In my experiences with hunting I would say that I have been presented with many goose eggs on many sittings (0 shot opportunties) when hunting. More than I care to get into.....but that is why it is called hunting. It is good to hear that you guys had a good time and made the most of it. At least some of you were presented with the opportunity to shoot. It would have been bad to hear that there were zero pig sightings. I am sure the person running this place was hoping to see that all of you got your fill. From what I am reading in some of the other posts as well is that the terrain is difficult to hunt. Is it the location of the ground blinds or the tree stands or just thick brush? I am curious because I work in Pearsall and would like to check this place out one day.
                      If it is still on the same property I hunted years ago then it isn't the terrain because it was very flat, but it was so dang thick other than the cleared roads that you couldn't even walk into the woods. Like I said though, in my experience I was hog hunting and did good, but the people there with me with pretty disappointed with the amount of exotics on the place with very good reason.

Comment

We have been three times in all. We had different packages at each visit. The very first time we hunted, our group came up with only one pig but we all had a blast thanks to Gerald. The next time we came we knew the layout, we were more aware of the animal activity and we weren't afraid of asking Gerald if he would mind working some different set-ups. He walked all over that place with us and built new hunting blinds, moved stands, etc. He was more than accomodating. The last two hunts we were all successful as far as harvesting what we paid for, some more than others but again it was the time spent there that was what we all really enjoyed. We will miss Gerald and Mesquite Bowhunting.
                        I hate to hear your trip didn't turn out like y'all had imagined. That stinks. Hopefully if you try it again y'all will see more hogs. They like hanging out front by the waterhole and back in the back behind the camp house the most.

Comment

Can anybody tell me how to get ahold of tommy or any body at mesquite? I have a hog head on the bunk house wall and would like to get it back and neither the phone number or email works since gerald left.
                          Thank yoy

Comment

I found Tommys phone number and picked up my head today.While i was there i found out they will be reopening soon and will be called action bowhunting .while i was ther i met mike who will be the guide and is a super nice guy.i spent several hours talking to mike and tommy and looking at trail cam pictures and let me be the first to say its going to be awsome lots of animals including some of the biggest axis and sika deer ive seen.They let us drive around a little on our way out and we saw everything from whitetail to auodad. There website and pricelist will be out soon and its ging to be a great place to bowhunt i think.

Comment

Just saw they have a Facebook page now, http://www.facebook.com/pages/Action...34174820013411

I might take a trip down there myself soon

Comment

Working...
                              X