No announcement yet.

THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the rules and regs out at Twin Buttes now? I went to ASU from 06-11 and me and some other guys killed a lot of deer, turkey, and ducks out their, but it was always kinda go and do whatever you want during that time. Caught a ton of crappie and sand bass too.
    Thinking about going a weekend during Turkey season with my old roommate, and didn't want to make the trip without knowing.

Comment

Originally posted by swamprabbit59 View Post
      What are the rules and regs out at Twin Buttes now? I went to ASU from 06-11 and me and some other guys killed a lot of deer, turkey, and ducks out their, but it was always kinda go and do whatever you want during that time. Caught a ton of crappie and sand bass too.
      Thinking about going a weekend during Turkey season with my old roommate, and didn't want to make the trip without knowing.

City turned over control and oversight to TPWD. You now have to have an LPU permit just to enter and/or APH permit to hunt or fish. Normal state regs for fishing. Hunting for anything now has season and bag limits set in the public hunting book which can be accessed on the TPWD website. Also hand corn only now. Most areas around the main lakes are similar on the hunting as before in that you can use bow or shotgun with slugs for deer and can drive around like before. Other areas more away from main lake like 5 are walk in only and bow or slug and the new 8 & 9 are walk in only and bow only. (No deer in 8&9 so you should just stay away from those. Lol). TPWD is developing a trail plan to meet EPA guidelines that will have some impact on the driving that is allowed out there but that is yet to be seen how it will impact us. Here is link to the map of area and the dates and limits.

Comment

Thanks MJjust! I look it up

Comment

It's getting close guys. Spring season is almost here. Who all is chasing Tom turkeys at the TBR?

Comment

Hey I'm pretty new to the site and was wondering if anyone has some tips for hunting turkey out at TBR

Comment

This thread is pretty quiet... unless it’s deer season, even then it’s pretty quiet... but yeah ummm.... try going out to a particular area you like to hunt before day break with a call.... Around dawn they will start talking to each other and they will respond to calls so start messing with them while they are still in the roost call them in to your location. Most of the areas have good groups of Toms...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll be there Sunday and staying all week. Good to hear most of the areas have birds. I've never been there so I was worried about having to cover the whole property to locate just a few birds.

Comment

You camping out there or going back and forth to a hotel?
                  What area do you plan on hunting/staying in? I got Easter family crap to tend to Sunday but Monday after work I can come help point ya in a good direction. Just let me know.

Comment

Camping at Red Arroyo. Not sure what areas I will be in, just going to do a lot of walking.

Comment

Hum... not sure where that’s at for camping but I would definitely get to the back of 3 where it meets 4 at the back of Spring Creek... always loads of birds up there... or make your way to the southern tip of area 1 lots of birds on “the island”.... I think if you talk to the area 9 guys they can give you a good heading for area 9.... I would say the south western edge of the area would be easiest to hunt them right off that open field. Umm.... I’m sure area 8 has some birds... try the calling at dawn trick to get an ear on them....

Comment

Area 8 doesn't have much birds there's a few but not many. Plus there was talk of them doing brush control in area 8. Idk if they have done yet or not. Area 9 is loaded with birds. I never saw them while on stand but would see them almost every time I would drive out there. I'm not a turkey hunter but I would think it would be fairly easy to locate birds in area 9. You could also camp at spring creek and literally set up your tent right outside of the area to hunt. If camping is open yet I'm not sure when they open camping up or how much it is. If camping is open that's where I would camp. You would be really really close to the hunt area. I know during summer people tent camp right outside the boundary of the area like 20 yards off the boundary.
                        Good luck to ya

Comment

I plan to hunt this weekend. I'v never been to the Butte so looking forward to meeting lots of fellow hunters and few turkeys lol.

Comment

I will be turkey hunting in Menard soon so won’t be at Twin Buttes for turkey season. But, I just turned in a time off request for the week after Thanksgiving to go back and deer hunt again. I had a good time hunting in 9 last year and have a couple good spots now.

Comment

Good to hear you gonna give it a go!! Carolina Man how goes it??? Any beards on the dirt yet?? How they talking?? Responding to anything?

Comment

Originally posted by JDVerfurth View Post
                                Good to hear you gonna give it a go!! Carolina Man how goes it??? Any beards on the dirt yet?? How they talking?? Responding to anything?

I typically hunt turkeys all over the country it is truly my passion but never in Texas. Most of my birds come off public land and that is few and far between in Texas. If there are birds there I will get after em.

Comment

Working...
                                X